Unskippable: Sonic Unleashed

-BloodRush-

Dec 15, 2009
darian Nenith said:
miquelfire said:
darian Nenith said:
Pretty good episode. I actually thought it was a pretty good cut scene. I don't understand why everyone hates the game, I've had loads of fun with it. Speed levels are awesome, and the were-hog levels are tolerable, if only because they're mostly platforming.
Have you played the Wii/PS2 version? You must have the 360/PS3 (which appears to be what this cut scene is from as the title doesn't appear in the Wii version...)
Actually, no. I'm playing the Wii version. I've heard that the 360/PS3 version had much more fighting in the were-hog levels. I've also heard the speed levels had instant death traps and were too fast for it's own good, neither of which are true of the Wii version.

-BloodRush- said:
darian Nenith said:
Darkstar370 said:
darian Nenith said:
Pretty good episode. I actually thought it was a pretty good cut scene. I don't understand why everyone hates the game, I've had loads of fun with it. Speed levels are awesome, and the were-hog levels are tolerable, if only because they're mostly platforming.
That's because they blindly believe everything that Yahtzee says.
Yes, good point. It's a shame, too, because the game has some incredibly fun levels, a couple of which even stand up to good old sonic adventure 2...
until they are able to give sonic glory again, i support everything yahtzee said about this game.
So does that mean you'll disagree with Yahtzee about this game once they "Give sonic glory" again?

Like I said I actually thought that the game was pretty good, at least as far as the speed levels go. The were-hog levels were generic but tolerable; though I can understand why most people didn't like them. They didn't really belong in a sonic game.
the few speed levels i was able to play before the need of coins to unlock other parts of the game arose were very awesome. the first boss fight reminded me of my younger days on the dreamcast. it just makes the game that much worse when there are really really good parts of the game drowning in nonsense.

all they had to do is cut out the werehog levels and chip, add some more speed levels, and this game would have been great. the werehog levels were only meant as filler to make the game longer.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Lordofthesuplex said:
Heart of Darkness said:
Solid work.

It's a shame this game's script was so lacklustre, or else it might've been a good game. It also could've been better if Chip didn't exist. Ever.
What is it with people and hating Chip anyways? BTW what did you expect from a Sonic game, Shakespearean level writing? At least it's not like SEGA's previous attempts at making Sonic serious. ::coughSonic'06cough::
Yahtzee summarizes how I feel about Chip. "He's like Navi with a cheese grater strapped to her face."

And it's not so much the script as it is the voice acting. Bad script with good acting? Okay, I'll buy it. Bad script with bad acting? No thanks.

This is why me, and I assume others, hate Chip--he's annoying, shrill, and just a plain nuisance who doesn't leave you the f*ck alone. He's also a bit...disturbing. I mean, how else can you pull a chocolate bar out from behind you when you have no means of storage on your person? Your invisible bag of holding?

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Lordofthesuplex said:
Heart of Darkness said:
Yahtzee summarizes how I feel about Chip. "He's like Navi with a cheese grater strapped to her face."
Oh please, Sonic has had much more annoying characters join him in the past that deserve that description. Big the Cat, Rouge, Silver, that raccoon from Sonic Rush Adventure, Omochao, Cream the Rabbit, have I mentioned enough of them by now?

At least Chip has his moments in the final boss battle, what with the giant golem he uses.
Strawman, meet fire.

This isn't a discussion over who the most annoying Sonic character is. I gave my reasons for why I don't like Chip. Please respect my opinion and just leave it at that.

TJF588

Jan 29, 2009
"Where's the Gaia Manuscripts, Egg-man?!"
"They're right behind you, stop yelling."

Saarai-fan

Nov 12, 2009
Loved this episode. As a somewhat actual fan of the Sonic franchise, it was funny.

When you made that Doctor Wily reference, I can't help but to compare the Sonic the Hedgehog series to the orginal Mega Man series. They both have the follwing...

Bald evil genius with a big mustache and a thing for robotics: Dr Wily - Dr Eggman
Blue hero who fights the main villian: Megaman - Sonic the Hedgehog
Sidekick with the ability to fly to help hero get to hard to reach places: Rush - Tails
Red rival who starts out as an opponent but becomes a friend: Protoman - Knuckles
Annoying girl companion: Roll - Amy Rose
Rival anti-hero/bad guy doppleganger: Bass - Shadow the Hedgehog
Another flying friend: Beat - Cream the Rabbit
Another friend who's a little big: Auto - Big the Cat
Opponent with boobs: Splash Woman - Rouge the Bat

After reading some of the posts on this topic, many people have been pointing out that the Sonic the Hedgehog games are ripping off Star Wars with the space fleets. I think they ripped off Star Wars earlier than that when they had the whole Death Egg thing back on the old genesis games. Don't know if it could destroy a planet, but it was a rip off of the Death Star.

Also loved the "Deploy the giant tampon applicator" and "Robotnik's one hot pocket is sooooo cooked after this" jokes.

Last but not least, yeah, Dr Robotnik is a better name than Dr Eggman.

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
Ye there definitely ripping each other off 1 way or another like Sonic unleashed - Star wars : Force unleashed it's pretty clear.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
himemiya1650 said:
Eggman land... needs a better name
I liked it when in Sonic Adventure Robotnik was still called Eggman and Robotnik said he would build Robotnik Land The Ultimate City. Now that's a better name!

Is there gonna be a Sonic Unskippable theme following up with Sonic and the Black Knight and/or Sonic and The Secret Rings?

Overall, this is the best since Gae Bolg which should be the next badge for watching the next certain amount of Unskippable episodes.

darian Nenith

Nov 18, 2009
-BloodRush- said:
all they had to do is cut out the werehog levels and chip, add some more speed levels, and this game would have been great. the werehog levels were only meant as filler to make the game longer.
Like I said, I really didn't mind the were-hog levels. the fight sequences were pretty bad, but as long as you just busted through them quickly you could be done with most of the levels in five to six minutes, and they worked decently in a free flowing platformer sort of way. Sure they were mostly filler, but they had some genuinely fun moments. And, you know, the jazz music in the background was a pretty nice change.

The fight sequences, on the other hand, are another story. There wasn't really anything redeemable about them, and they were a genuinely bad experience.

A couple more speed levels would have been nice, but I thought the game was good enough as it was. Hell, I'm still trying to speed run a few of the day levels, and that's not something I can say about most games.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Dug the Spirits Within and Power Rangers references.

BrotherhoodOfSteel said:
Blue streaks... Speeds by...
Sonic! He can really move!
Sonic! He's got an additude!
Sonic! He's the fastest thing alive!

He's the fastest thing alive!
Blue streak speeds by, Sonic the Hedgehog
Too fast for the naked eye, Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic, he can really move
Sonic, he's got an attitude
Sonic, he is the fastest thing alive

Look out when he storms through, Sonic the Hedgehog
Don't doubt what he can do, Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic, he can really move
Sonic, he's got an attitude
Sonic, he is the fastest thing alive
He is the fastest thing alive
He is the fastest thing alive

Redratson

Jun 23, 2009
"I thought we sealed that movie in the Earth's core forever!?"
best line of this video made me lol big time.

LuisEz

Jan 28, 2009
you have to admit that was cool see eggman do something really bad for the very first time! and the mustache! so detailed!!!

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
RE: Eggman vs Robotnik

Damn, F'ing, straight. I cannot understand WHY they felt the need to change his name. It will always be Robotnik to me!