Unskippable: Star Wars The Old Republic

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
Yeah Graham and Paul point out quite, well, pointedly that the characters and the ship are all derivative of iconic star wars elements basically making this trailer a rather expensive (in the way of pixels) yet cheap (in the way of new ideas) knock-off. The troopers look like Clone Troopers, the Jedi Master is a more athletic Ben Kenobi, the Smuggler is a cocksure Han Solo that's raided Cad Bane's wardrobe, his ship is basically the millenium falcon down to the circular padded hallway interiors and top and bottom gun turrets and the bald Sith is basically a helmet-less Vader. They also make another astute observation that in however many thousands of years have passed between the events in this trailer and the films, technology has apparently not advanced whatsoever and it's the same case in the original KOTOR games. Finally they also highlight, in a very amusing manner, how lightsaber fights are progressively becoming more bombastic and ridiculous to the point were it's all flash and no substance.

This trailer whilst visually impressive, is thematically unoriginal and rather shallow in it's content, re-hashing original trilogy elements and placing them in a time period that within any real culture, would have advanced technologically speaking rather than be stuck in a rut. Cool for cool's sake is not enough for me, but it will be enough for the masses who will lap this up and say "they should make this into a movie" rather innocuously. It's definitely a very shrewd piece of marketing that will appeal to everyone's love for the original films and help sell the game (as if it wasn't already going to sell well) whilst ultimately adding nothing substantially new or fresh to the table of the star wars universe.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
I'm with Yoda here. They have just become too afraid that adding a truly original element to the Star Wars timeline outside of the EU Novels (which have a fair share of great elaborations on the original ideas with interesting twists) would piss off fans. I mean, we all know how that went down in the prequel trilogy. Too bad, really.