Unskippable: Tales of Xillia

fangclaw

Mar 3, 2010
this has probably been said already, but most of the questions about the Jude (the guy who fell on the water) are answered if you choose to follow Jude's story at the beginning of the game. Graham and Paul skipped the part after the anime cutscene were the game asks which story you want to follow. Graham and Paul picked Milla (the chick with the cowlick).

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Furioso said:
canadamus_prime said:
Furioso said:
canadamus_prime said:
Furioso said:
canadamus_prime said:
Furioso said:
canadamus_prime said:
Furioso said:
canadamus_prime said:
Thunderous Cacophony said:
canadamus_prime said:
Thunderous Cacophony said:
canadamus_prime said:
Yeah, I'd also like to know where he came from and how he ended up on her magical water path.
"I dropped something."
You dropped something? On to her magical water path thing? Riiiiiiiiight...
He dropped something off the bridge, saw it was still on the surface of the water on a magical floating path beside a scantily clad girl with ridiculous hair breaking into a tree lab, and realised that one way or another he was going to get involved in the story. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheoryOfNarrativeCausality]

OT: Can we get LRR to do a full anime series? Something short, only a few episodes, but you rip them apart entirely. We'll tithe our hats to you for eternity.
Dropped it off a bridge? What bridge? They were nowhere near a bridge. Although I'll buy the Narrative Causality thing.
At 4:32, you can see Cowlick girl walking on magic pads towards a bridge over the river, and at 4:43 (when she gets to the lab) the bridge is behind her. You can see the supports when the Mystery Guy is introduced.
Yes I see the bridges, but they're nowhere near any of them. And ok say she walked under that one bridge, mystery guy still didn't appear until she was already at the lab. I would think if he's jumped off of the bridge onto the magical walkway she'd have noticed him before she got to the lab.
In the game when you (the guy) walk over to that area the bridge is right next to, and leads to, the lab and there is an access staircase to the water below the bridge. Her magical walkway goes right next to the access staircase.
Ok, but you can't see that in the cutscene.
You are correct. In the game you can choose either to have the boy or the girl as your main character, and if you pick the boy you get a lot more background for the setting of where all that is taking place.
So is this the cutscene from picking the girl then?
Yup, picking either one gives you their points of view through the story. (Note: I'm on an ultra shitty laptop right now that couldn't handle playing the video at more than 5 frames a second, but I'm 95% sure they were watching her opening cutscene.)
Wonder it we're getting his opening cutscene next week. ...probably not.
Probably not, if I remember correctly his opening doesn't have a cutscene and instead lets you walk around for a little bit as you learn about his job/life/how he got to that point (The girls background is intentionally way more mysterious. Also, the boy was the first one I played so I remember way less about his opening so I might be way off on if he gets an opening cutscene or not.)
Regardless I don't know if Graham and Paul want to do any more of this game. Although they have done more than one episode of worse games' cutscenes. Actually this game wasn't all that bad.
It's actually a really fantastic JRPG, unfortunately this is just an awkward introductory cutscene to have for the girl character.
Oh I have no doubt that the game is good, but the cutscene was... actually the cutscene wasn't all that bad by the usual Unskippable standards.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Actually, if you're tryingf to stop someone making noise dropping them in water won't help. Firstly there's the big splash and then there's the little splashes from them thrashing around. A water bubble solves both these problems.

JRPG logic is starting to make sense to me. Please send help.

These boots are made for meandering, and that's just what they'll do. One of these days these boots will meanering to where I'm meandering to.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Furioso said:
You are correct. In the game you can choose either to have the boy or the girl as your main character, and if you pick the boy you get a lot more background for the setting of where all that is taking place.
Hold on a minute - so you have to play this game twice if you plan on seeing everything? o.0 That sounds... awful yet amazing at the same time. I can't pick one feeling - it's both. Insta-replay-value... but no matter how much time/effort I invest in it the first time, I will still miss so much stuff.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
Yeah, I'd also like to know where he came from and how he ended up on her magical water path.
"I dropped something."
You dropped something? On to her magical water path thing? Riiiiiiiiight...
There are two character paths to start the game and they chose Milla's path (female) instead of Judes path (male) and you would get more context and what in general is going on if you picked Judes path, but would also be starting some gameplay inbetween those cutscenes that are all just one big cutscene in Milla's. Where Jude was before he went to where Milla was is on a bridge that is right near where Milla was and connects to a science facility that he was heading to, but on the way he saw her over pass and while he was stunned at seeing her do what she was doing a paper in hand flew out because of the wind right onto one of the little water steps she created.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Auron225 said:
Furioso said:
Hold on a minute - so you have to play this game twice if you plan on seeing everything? o.0 That sounds... awful yet amazing at the same time. I can't pick one feeling - it's both. Insta-replay-value... but no matter how much time/effort I invest in it the first time, I will still miss so much stuff.
Honestly there is only a few difference in gameplay and scenes between which character you start with, but if you want to get the full context of every detail that happens in the game it would be good to play both. I suggest always start with the Male protagonist Jude for it starts off with better explenations on what is going on with a better tutorial while Milla just jumps right into the combat with not as much explenation to what is going on at first. Also they give replay in new game plus with bonuses to thing like xp bost, items you had at the end you can start with, and etc. But to unlock or use many of the new game stuff is tide into how much points you gained through completing quest, and other things in the game so you may only be able to pick some and not all of what you can retain or recieve in new game plus.

Oh and you will have both main characters in the party most of the game and you can switch which one you control on the fly while the other has set commands that are before battle starts, but you can also change them in battle during combat by pause or through manual that just slows the area down, but enemies can still attack you.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
FPLOON said:
"This is not wheelchair accessible..." (in reference to the stairs)
*thinks about a scene later on in the game*
...I laughed harder than I needed to after hearing that...

Also, that whole scene with the "blond chick" (Millia) and the "dropped something dude" (Jude) made more sense if you started playing the game as the dude himself... I now feel sorry for those that choose to play her first, though...
Yeah that was one of the minor gripes I can see about the game if you start with Milla and kinda wish they thought of a way to give some sort of tutorial like they did with Jude. A possible way to do a tutorial for her would be before she leaves she can go around Nia Khera before she heads off.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Auron225 said:
Furioso said:
Well VanTesla already answered this, but yea it's not drastic differences, only stuff like "Oh so that's what those two characters were talking about over there" type stuff. The game is worth multiple playthroughs so it works out.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Wow, Milla's path makes Jude look like a moron. Run into about ten people running through the halls then fall off a bridge by accident trying to get something he dropped. Almost like he's channelling his childhood friend, who really is like that all the way through...

I think the cowlick and the other weird aspects of her hair must be to compensate for Jude's being relatively normal- just straight black without any spikes.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Jokes aside I found the cutscene more or less sober by JRPG standards.
Well to be fair plenty of the JRPG's they review on this are full out weeboo affairs, while the Tales series has been around since the SNES days so it goes with more of standard JRPG game/story with anime aesthetics.

I love JRPG's but for some reason I've never played the Tales series apart from the ROM translation of Phantasia on the SNES.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Oh and I forgot to add, while Tales games are usually a little more sane that cowlick is utterly ridiculous, haha. If I were to ever actually play this game it would be bugging me the whole way through.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Cowlick girl actually has reasonable boobs for an anime, I don't know what was going through the character designer's head.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I love it when you guys do JRPG's, especially if they open with an anime. Can we get the male character's intro next week? It looks like from the comments above mine, those make more story sense.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
RandV80 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Jokes aside I found the cutscene more or less sober by JRPG standards.
Well to be fair plenty of the JRPG's they review on this are full out weeboo affairs, while the Tales series has been around since the SNES days so it goes with more of standard JRPG game/story with anime aesthetics.

I love JRPG's but for some reason I've never played the Tales series apart from the ROM translation of Phantasia on the SNES.
I've only played Tales of the Abyss on the PS2 and it had a decent story, bar the lead character's costume.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
Well that was not a completely horrible jrpg intro.
It's at least a 20 times better of an intro than Time & Eternity had.

awdrifter

Apr 1, 2011
Milla's hair is style by the wind spirit Sylph, so of course it'll look like she just walked through a storm. :p

nyysjan

Mar 12, 2010
I want to play this game (hopefully i get it for christmass, can't afford new games atm).

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
1. Spirits and ghosts are not the same thing. Spirits can be alive however ghosts by definition are dead.
2. Him dropping something DOES explain him being there as he dropped it in the water and it landed on one of her magical water circles.
3. The trees do not need to be changed, just maintained as the trees themselves are what are producing the light.
4. The laboratory is INSIDE the tree so it would only make sense for any entrances secret or not to lead into the tree.

most of the jokes stop being funny once somebody who has actually played the first hour of the game watches it. Its one thing to make fun of something that doesn't make sense (like the cowlick switching sides) but most of the humor in this fell completely flat.

And don't give me the well WE didn't know he dropped his thing into the water. They just skipped that scene for the sake of the joke making sense. It's established beforehand in the actual game.

When you need to omit facts in order for something to be funny then it just isn't funny.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
VanTesla said:
Honestly there is only a few difference in gameplay and scenes between which character you start with, but if you want to get the full context of every detail that happens in the game it would be good to play both. I suggest always start with the Male protagonist Jude for it starts off with better explenations on what is going on with a better tutorial while Milla just jumps right into the combat with not as much explenation to what is going on at first. Also they give replay in new game plus with bonuses to thing like xp bost, items you had at the end you can start with, and etc. But to unlock or use many of the new game stuff is tide into how much points you gained through completing quest, and other things in the game so you may only be able to pick some and not all of what you can retain or recieve in new game plus.

Oh and you will have both main characters in the party most of the game and you can switch which one you control on the fly while the other has set commands that are before battle starts, but you can also change them in battle during combat by pause or through manual that just slows the area down, but enemies can still attack you.
Furioso said:
Well VanTesla already answered this, but yea it's not drastic differences, only stuff like "Oh so that's what those two characters were talking about over there" type stuff. The game is worth multiple playthroughs so it works out.
Ah I see - thanks guys/gals :) I was planning on getting this anyway so I'm glad to hear it's good! :D