Unskippable: The Guided Fate Paradox, Part 2

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
I stopped playing NIS games when they went DLC crazy, but this one doesn't seem to have any and looks absolutely bonkers. It shall be mine.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
No wonder the guy sounded familiar. It's the same guy voicing phoenix wright after all.

Though if he really is God, couldn't he just... oh that joke was already made. Ummm... Nothing to see here, run along now.

DanHibiki

Aug 5, 2009
Saotome school of martial arts secret technique, God making club!

We added spikes for that extra bit of divinity.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
bdcjacko said:
Who actually plays these games?
They're made by Nippon Ichi, the creators of the Disgaea series. They have quite a bit of a niche.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
bdcjacko said:
Two-A said:
bdcjacko said:
They're made by Nippon Ichi, the creators of the Disgaea series. They have quite a bit of a niche.
Didn't ask who made them. More of condemning who plays them.
I admit that was a rather roundabout way of saying they have an audience. But the game itself is not bad, even if it's atypical.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
balladbird said:
bdcjacko said:
Fans of nippon ichi roguelikes/jrpgs. There aren't many of us, but we're a niche. XD

tarnim80 said:
as entertaining as this intro is it tells you nothing at all about what the actuall game is about. I mean, what do you even do? Also, if that girl has the power to let others become God wouldn't that make her more powerful than God?
The story is framed episodically, with the big god machine selecting a prayer for god to grant, and then solving as many dungeons as necessary to grant it. as the game progresses it gradually resolves the more central plot, the war between celestia and the netherworld, and what "god" really is in relation to it.

Not the greatest story ever told, but certainly unique enough to keep one interested through the playthrough.
Now I'm not about to judge anyone who likes this niche genre of games, the more niche genres that get filled the better I say.

No, what I wonder is why does this specific 'niche' of JRPG's always get releases and localization and not the more traditional JRPG games that I like such as Dragon Quest, old Final Fantasy, Suikoden, and so on. I mean just look at how hard it was to get Xenoblade and The Last Story out in North America for the Wii.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
RandV80 said:
Now I'm not about to judge anyone who likes this niche genre of games, the more niche genres that get filled the better I say.

No, what I wonder is why does this specific 'niche' of JRPG's always get releases and localization and not the more traditional JRPG games that I like such as Dragon Quest, old Final Fantasy, Suikoden, and so on. I mean just look at how hard it was to get Xenoblade and The Last Story out in North America for the Wii.
There are a variety of reasons. Some japanese developers are way more defensive of their product being localized, some publishers are squeamish of anything that isn't guaranteed a large return on investment (that was the reason Xenoblade had such a hard time. Nintendo and Sega are both notorious for not taking risks)

the biggest reason is probably because it's cheap. Nippon Ichi makes games for pennies on the dollar, which means that they earn their money back with a way smaller number of sales. Xenoblade, Suikoden, and Dragonquest were all far more ambitious in that regard.

As a result, as long as a few thousand americans are willing to pick up a copy of these games, they'll get enough profit to justify bringing over more, whereas bigger, more expensive games would need to move a few hundred thousand at least to justify jumping the pond.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
RandV80 said:
They don't MAKE old school Dragon Warrior types RPGs anymore. Final Fantasy abandoned it after 10-2 and even Dragon Quest has stopped.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
lord.jeff said:
leviadragon99 said:
So... please tell me this isn't a dating sim, this weird concept should not be wasted on a dating sim.
It's more of a turn based dungeon crawler RPG.
Phew, that's a relief, should've guessed it from the isometric perspective.

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
For future reference (maybe put this in your own handbook?) the order of business when you get promoted to 'God' by a hot angel chick who has just hit you with a hammer whereupon you appear to still have no godly powers whatsoever is as follows:

1) Take away the angel girl's hammer.

2) Request oral. Last I checked, there's no applicable sexual harassment policy in heaven when you're freaking God.

3) Ask why, given that you're now God, your powers and knowledge are still very clearly finite.

Kasual13

Aug 28, 2013
MrBaskerville said:
bdcjacko said:
The game is great, despite the story. A pretty interestng roguelike rpg with some cool mechanics.
While I agree with you on the main plot, I will say I do find the stories presented in each individual chapter quite interesting. Like the first chapter, with Cinderella questioning / criticising her own story.

IrisNetwork

Sep 11, 2013
Maid outfit aside, Japanese last name Saotome aside, girl just hit me over the head with a spiked club aside,
Tell me there's a part 3? :D
I saw some walkthrough video on YouTube and the dialogue just gets more hilarious. Love to see you guys make fun of it.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
DanHibiki said:
Saotome school of martial arts secret technique, God making club!

We added spikes for that extra bit of divinity.
Obviously the spiked club is necessary to press your "Reboot in Safe God Mode" button.

Timewarpman1

Sep 19, 2011
How is it possible to make a story about becoming a god could be so fucking stupid.
Seriously what if god of war started with cratoes being smacked in the head by what best could be describe as his little slutty sister and then have to have everything explain to him like he just suffered a stroke?

Timewarpman1

Sep 19, 2011
Kasual13 said:
MrBaskerville said:
bdcjacko said:
The game is great, despite the story. A pretty interestng roguelike rpg with some cool mechanics.
While I agree with you on the main plot, I will say I do find the stories presented in each individual chapter quite interesting. Like the first chapter, with Cinderella questioning / criticising her own story.
Also I get tired of the old chestnut. X is bad but y is good....

WHY CAN'T BOTH X AND Y BE GOOD?!!!!

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
Timewarpman1 said:
Also I get tired of the old chestnut. X is bad but y is good....

WHY CAN'T BOTH X AND Y BE GOOD?!!!!
Because... sometimes something can have both good qualities and bad ones? Because that's how reality works?

Are you okay?