Unskippable: Unskippable 100: A Guide to Cinematics

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
Unskippable 100: A Guide to Cinematics

Graham and Paul use the knowledge they've gained from Unskippable for "good".

Watch Video

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
Hah, brilliant =p. One of my favorite ever Unskippables, no doubt.

EDIT: mein gott... First post... I feel like I was maybe a bit too bored to watch the movie in the very second it launched >>.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Hey, it's good as long as some humour can be gleaned from it.. I think. That was a great video though. :)

Count Igor

May 5, 2010
Hah.
I like the idea, but...
Doesn't this just mean you'll have to make even more Unskippable?
Again.
And again.
On those dreadful JRPG's.
The ones where you'd rather be outside having... *shudder* a life, for once.
Mmhmm.

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
You can never have to much moon!
Or Text!
Or Crows!
Or Cowbell!

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Casting ex Power Ranger Johnny Yong Bosch appears to make for an excellent opening cinematic.

TheSkaAssassin

Oct 12, 2009
Wow, I remember when this series first came out. Congrats on making it to 100 episodes.
Here's to the next hundred.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Happy 100th episode!
Hm... maybe I could have a crow fall from a giant moon in first-person into not-europe while asking obvious questions. I think I've made the perfect cutscene! Thanks, Unskippable!

Spolin

Nov 22, 2010
It's weird, I just recently decided to re-watch all the old Unskippables, so I could place all of the shots.

Jakale

Feb 16, 2010
Zoids was a really boring cutscene/history textbook.

I'm surprised you didn't mention having characters falling long distances, unless that Eternal \Sonata bit counted.

Da Joz

May 19, 2009
I'll keep these tips in mind when I'm creating a cutscene, which will unfortunatley most likely be never.

Aphroditty

Nov 25, 2009
A great compilation of cutscene trends, thank goodness we can look forward to seeing them going into the future! It would have been a horrific tragedy if cutscene directors had thought that these overwrought or under-produced scenes were flawed, but fortunately we are assured of seeing them throughout all ages.

Most importantly, congratulations on your 100th episode! I've seen every single one. More than once (except for this current one). It's consistently one of the most humorous series on the Escapist, and even compares well with luminaries like MST3K. I don't say that last thing very often, let me tell you. Again, congrats, and further good fortune to Graham and Paul!

A shout-out to my top three personal favorite Unskippables over the past 100 episodes:

Onimusha
Chronicles of Valkyria
50 Cent: Blood on the Sand

My favorite moment from Unskippable?
The two that most stick out in my mind are...
"Wait, where did I leave the moon...?"
and
"Ooooh, scary peacock!"

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
my god!
i am very unobservant!

how bad is it to say i never noticed half of them.

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
And remember, you don't want all that pesky gameplay getting in the way. Your game should be at least 50% cutscenes. Just look at games like Metal Gear Solid.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Nice one, very funny, but learn the difference between crows and ravens.

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
That was an awesome look back on the cutscenes you've covered. Congrats on 100 episodes.

Apr 28, 2008
Wow. Only now do I realize how insanely stupid some cut-scenes are.

"You came by helicopter, didn't you?"

YOU SAW HIM JUMP OUT OF THE HELICOPTER!!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Graham_LRR said:

Watch Video
My God, that was great. You guys should do this again sometimes (infrequently), offering more "help."

Is it wrong that I now want to make a cutscene that does all of the things listed here?

capacollo

Nov 17, 2009
That was quite funny. Don't know if I would be honoured or scared to have one of my games featured in UnSkippable ...

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Such a great video to use for your 100th episode. I was in stitches when I heard "Not-Europe."

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
Ok, we start with a shot of a crow. We then zoom in on the back of the crows head and enter a first person perspective. A giant moon then falls and crushes the crow, leaving the crow unharmed somehow. The crow then catches a taxi to a non-destript country in Noteurope. The taxi driver narrates while text scrolls down the screen, telling of the long, boring political history of the country, with breaks so that the crow can ask vapid questions. And then the game starts.

Link_to_Future

Good Dog. Best Friend.
Nov 19, 2009
Wow...100 episodes already.

Unskippable joined the escapist and kicked off a golden age of videos for the site. There Will Be Brawl, Doomsday Arcade, Unforgotten Realms, Unskippable. Good times for sure.

I may not be a fan of much of the video content on the site anymore, but anything by LRR is worthwhile in my book. Unskippable merely launched LRR's video takeover of the escapist.

Thank you for all the amazing content guys. Here's to another 100 episodes.

al502

Nov 19, 2009
now this is one of my favorite episodes, found it completely hilarious. And i don't think it's actually possible to run out of game trailers and intros. seriously though, an amazing episodes and just wanted to mention it.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
I would've loved to have sat in on the writing process for this one. Very funny stuff.

On a side note: did the 100 episodes include the Lost Planet pilot or did they start with Eternal Sonata?

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
100 episodes...100 episodes of "WTF?" cutscenes. How do you guys put up with it?

And yes, I agree with you about Zoids Assault. All that silent text... The still pictures (except for that snow)... And whoever voiced that woman (Alexys van Clyft? I'll be damned that I can remember that...) most likely did not want to. (If that was Michelle Ruff, I'll be GOD-FUCKING-DAMNED; no one deserves to go through such a shit-ass cutscene, let alone her!)

AnneSQF

Sep 22, 2009
NO! What have you done! I thought you had learned from failures of the past! The internet doesn't get sarcasm. We are doooooooomed!

JonnWood

Jul 16, 2008
So on the point about Parrot Exposition, you show MGS clips.

I'm not sure that counts as "low-hanging fruit".

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
On the bright side, if developers didn't have an obsession with bad, poorly made and poorly thought out cut scenes, we wouldn't have Unskippable now, would we?

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
It's strange! None of my favourite cutscenes are anything like that! I wonder why I like them.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Very nice. Love the tongue-in-cheek humor of the whole thing.

Anyway congrats on you're 100th episode. I think I'll go back and watch a few of my favorites.

Lambi

Yuki-Onna
Oct 20, 2009
Jakale said:
Zoids was a really boring cutscene/history textbook.

I'm surprised you didn't mention having characters falling long distances, unless that Eternal \Sonata bit counted.
What do you mean they didn't mention? There were a few clips after the bit from Eternal Sonata showing characters falling down a long distance.

OT: Loved this episode. And I always love seeing Russel. :3

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
We're all thinking it, so I'm just gonna go ahead and say it:

crows are one of the smartest animals on the planet.

You're welcome.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Another great video.

As far as crows are concerned, at least in Japanese games, the sheer number of them in Tokyo might have something to do with it. Seriously, they're everywhere in that city and they're huge.

Also, Zoids Assault was definitely a really, REALLY bad cutscene. You definitely made the correct choice about that.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Loved it. I like referential humor, and this is a nice look back at all the horrible games you've watched cinematics for. Well done.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Very funny, guys, but pointing out what people are doing WRONG doesn't necessarily help them learn what to do RIGHT. I was hoping for some actual tips, because I (and most game developers apparently) don't know much about cinematics. Of course, you could always save that for episode 200 :D

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
GeorgW said:
That defeats the point of the "Russell Crowe" joke! You silly man..

Coltaculuss

Nov 21, 2010
I still can't see the problem with overly dramatic narration. I like it! Overacting is better then underacting.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
"Wait a minute, where did I leave the moon?"

If you ever run out of material, just do a marathon of the cutscenes in Dirge of Cerberus.
I've played that game, and it has some of the absolute most insanely stupid shit ever put into a AAA franchise.

And I mean that in a bad way; great for riffing, but boy will you be pissed if you actually enjoyed FF7, and confused if you never played it.

Feb 18, 2009
Congratulations on your 100th episode! May there be a hundred more episodes still to come.

...Another hundred woefully bad and dreadfully dull cutscenes to sit through. Godspeed.

WeirdBlueOne

Nov 19, 2009
Very funny. If I ever decide to make a parody cutscene of anything, I'm coming back here.
Is it bad that when you started talking about crows my first thought was "Kroze?" ?
If you replace crows with Kroze, it still works for most of that bit.

Naturality

Feb 23, 2010
Top notch, fellows! One of the best Unskippables thus far, I must say.

Does Paul have a cold?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Snake is the master of repeating what everyone else says as a question. Hell he just does it when he sees people. If I had a dollar for every time he said "Naomi?" in MGS4... Well I wouldn't be rich, but I could probably go get a pizza.

Also, is Paul sick? He sounds like he maybe has a cold or something. If he does, hope he gets well soon.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Back to Emmeria! (wherever that is) :p
also, I thought you'd bring back the '1st time I died' and you didn't disappoint :D

Tempest13

Aug 23, 2010
AnneSQF said:
NO! What have you done! I thought you had learned from failures of the past! The internet doesn't get sarcasm. We are doooooooomed!
THAT WAS SARCASM!?!! MY CUTSCENE IS RUINED!

chris11246

Jul 29, 2009
Great episode

and to anyone who hasnt watched the video the front pic has nothing to do with the video

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
damn its crazy to see all those "unskippable" episodes and thinking back on all the great moments. And also a lot bad cut scenes share a lot bad things in common.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Please, you guys aren't even trying. It should be a fuck huge moon made of crows that's trying to invade not-europe with zombie robots.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I'm sure this has been quoted many times before, but...

"Maybe look forward to is too strong." "Dread?" "Yeah..." This had me grinning and suppressing the urge to bust up laughing.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Congrats on 100 episodes!

Valkyria Chronicles should really have had one of those miniseries. I love the game but the cutscenes are aaaaarrrghh-worthy, and the riffs in that episode were solid gold.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Help me! I'm drowning under the sarcasm in this episode!

Congrats on the 100 episodes guys! If it wasn't for Yahtzee I never would've heard of you!

ars731

Nov 10, 2006
congrats on your 100th episode, great episode as well,

you also forgot to point out that you need to feature things that have nothing to do with the game in your cut scene. for instance if you have a game about Yakuza, talk about the thrilling world of real estate instead. because that whats players want.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
that was a cool way to celebrate 100 episodes! I need to go back through the list cuz I dont remember some scenes. Good job guys! Here's to the next 100!

mekashiyu

Oct 20, 2010
So glad I sat down and watched every episode, makes it much better when you recognize all the games/cutscenes. XD

I think my favorites so far are Bionic Commando (all the arm puns, jeez), Prototype (it was the first time I heard the Russell Crow joke), and good old Alone in the Dark, which was the first Unskippable I stumbled upon. Not to say all of them aren't great!

Keep on rockin' it guys. My Mondays are always awesome thanks to you. :D

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Oh my God. All the cutscenes are the same cutscene.

I support the huge moon actually. Real moon ain't up to snuff.

hypermage

Feb 13, 2010
Top banana retrospective. Here's to another hundred episodes and another two years of Unskippable. May videogame developers continue to make cinematics without first referring to this guide.

GoodEyeSniper

Sep 9, 2008
GeorgW said:
There is no difference. Crow is a term that refers to the genus "Corvus", while Raven is a term that refers to the species "Corvus corax" i.e. All ravens are crows, but not all crows are ravens.

Oh, and congratulotions on the 100th, Grampulina!

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
This video reminds me, how many "times I died" are we up to now? I haven't heard that one reset in a while and I've lost count.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Graham_LRR said:

Watch Video
The Unskipabble Humour has gone into another level !

ps: got the joke?

ps ps: i loved all the parts, and the whole video is great i don't know what to choose, my head will burst because of great criticism !

Ap0ca1ypse

Jun 12, 2010
Aphroditty said:
A great compilation of cutscene trends, thank goodness we can look forward to seeing them going into the future! It would have been a horrific tragedy if cutscene directors had thought that these overwrought or under-produced scenes were flawed, but fortunately we are assured of seeing them throughout all ages.

Most importantly, congratulations on your 100th episode! I've seen every single one. More than once (except for this current one). It's consistently one of the most humorous series on the Escapist, and even compares well with luminaries like MST3K. I don't say that last thing very often, let me tell you. Again, congrats, and further good fortune to Graham and Paul!

A shout-out to my top three personal favorite Unskippables over the past 100 episodes:

Onimusha
Chronicles of Valkyria
50 Cent: Blood on the Sand

My favorite moment from Unskippable?
The two that most stick out in my mind are...
"Wait, where did I leave the moon...?"
and
"Ooooh, scary peacock!"
If I had to pick favorites I liked ONimusha and Last Remnant, but honestly when I'm by myself I will think something is funny but not laugh out loud. One Unskippable that definitely made me laugh and thusly I rank my favorite: Eternal Sonata. Not as much the narrator part, but when the girl is walking with her mom. 2 of my favorite lines: "No questions. Mummy's drunk." (or somethin like that) and "Can puddles make waves too." "No. that's stupid. God your dumb." (I just love Graham's tone there)

OT: Guys! You forgot to mention one thing! Always show awesome fight scenes that make the player wish they could play it. Examples: Onimusha 3, Lost Odyssey, and Devil May Cry 4.

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
SandroTheMaster said:
Wait a minute...

I don't remember you ever doing Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

Explain yourselves!
Don't worry, they did:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/unskippable/968-Dark-Messiah

Aphroditty

Nov 25, 2009
Ap0ca1ypse said:
If I had to pick favorites I liked ONimusha and Last Remnant, but honestly when I'm by myself I will think something is funny but not laugh out loud. One Unskippable that definitely made me laugh and thusly I rank my favorite: Eternal Sonata. Not as much the narrator part, but when the girl is walking with her mom. 2 of my favorite lines: "No questions. Mummy's drunk." (or somethin like that) and "Can puddles make waves too." "No. that's stupid. God your dumb." (I just love Graham's tone there)

OT: Guys! You forgot to mention one thing! Always show awesome fight scenes that make the player wish they could play it. Examples: Onimusha 3, Lost Odyssey, and Devil May Cry 4.
I'm just the opposite, I tend to laugh loudly alone but be more reserved around others--but then, I laugh pretty easily.

However, both quotes you mentioned really were absolute gold. Graham really nailed the comedic voice in those, just pegged it.

And, of course, awesome fight scenes that show how great this game would be, if there were game any game underneath the cinematics, are a must for any mad cutscene director!

werty101

Nov 19, 2009
These two game intros would be perfect for Unskippable episodes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEaISOVZj9s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBhhhWDcrSo

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
I agree that made up dates are stupid if you don't give players a point of reference, but what if you have your intro explain all the stuff that's happened, for example the great cataclysm that prompted your character to go out and save the world, and you base your made up calendar on that?
At least then the player will have some point of reference to where people are at time wise. Most of them probably won't care, but I'm pretty sure there are people out there who do.

Funny episode though, really did make me laugh.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
100 episodes! Way to go guys! They've all been stellar and hilarious! Without Unskippable, I probably would have never watched Loading Ready Run. Lets hope to have 100 more!

fielfuego

Dec 29, 2009
Oh noes! I JUST missed my opportunity to have the 100th post on the 100th ep! I saw the "99 comments" and I'm like "Yes! Serendipity, Biatch!"

Anyway... well done Onchei. ((sigh))

Oh yeah... and well done, Unskippable! ;-)

bawkbawkboo1

Nov 20, 2008
After watching this episode I went back and watched a bunch of them. Arc Rise Fantasia was really good because the cutscene was so, so bad, but my favorite is still Valkyria Chronicles. I started watching the Eternal Sonata one but that thing is just too long.

Tracer Kinship

Nov 20, 2009
Yo Dawg, I herd you like Unskippable...

Jim Grim said:
Ok, we start with a shot of a crow. We then zoom in on the back of the crows head and enter a first person perspective. A giant moon then falls and crushes the crow, leaving the crow unharmed somehow. The crow then catches a taxi to a non-destript country in Noteurope. The taxi driver narrates while text scrolls down the screen, telling of the long, boring political history of the country, with breaks so that the crow can ask vapid questions. And then the game starts.
You forgot to mention the nondescript time frame of the 19th year of Mooncrow.

Congrats on 100th episode, hope for many more to come.

Megido

Aug 24, 2008
You know, guys, "dread", is a strong word too. It's just on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Great episode, though. It's awesome to see all the useful tips for intro cutscene creation that you've gathered.

Chasmodius

Rogue Commentator
Jan 13, 2010
It's interesting to me that those are all legitimate and effective story-telling techniques... when used correctly. Even the silliest of those suggestions has been used well in one game or another (as Graham mentioned with Half-Life 1). The problem comes when other games simply re-hash those ideas badly, or use them as a crutch for poor characterization or storytelling. Even repeating the last thing someone said in the form of a question can be useful -- say, to illustrate that your main character has just received a life-threatening head injury and may have brain damage! :p

Wolcik said:
Too bad Half-Life isn't Unskippableable XD
Actually, that sounds like an intro ripe for the "Unskippable" treatment to me! Okay, so very little actually happens in 10 minutes, but there's still plenty to comment on. Best part: you can't skip it!

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
To my mind, the 'simple and clean' video at the beginning of the first Kingdom Hearts game is still the champion of all cutscenes. It's short, it's simple, it's visually arresting, it's got a great song with a hell of a melodic hook, and it manages to establish the main characters and atmosphere without shoving its junk in your face. Short, sweet, and to the point.

Deviluk

Jul 1, 2009
my favourite ep has to be omunisha 3. When Jean Reno is asking people how he got from Paris to medieval japan lol.

ensouls

Feb 1, 2010
You missed 'introduce any female characters via an ass shot.' Great video. The bit with the fake calendars is my favourite.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Count Igor said:
Hah.
I like the idea, but...
Doesn't this just mean you'll have to make even more Unskippable?
Again.
And again.
On those dreadful JRPG's.
The ones where you'd rather be outside having... *shudder* a life, for once.
Mmhmm.
Man, the way you put that, I thought it'd be an acrostic poem or something. You know, spells a word when you read it

l
i
k
e

t
h
i
s.

I'm kinda sad now. JRPGs do have some awful cutscenes though.

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
It sucks thet these kinds of cutscenes are the norm in the videogame industry.

Even worse is that a lot of gamers are impressed by them, day in day out.

Congratulations on stiking around for so long, Unskippable. You do an incredbiel service by openly making fun of the ridiculousnes that are cutscenes, especialy poorly written ones.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
You know, I thought at first that you were really going to talk about how to make a good cutscene. But this turned out way better.

Ghored

Mar 15, 2010
Took me a while to see that this guide was entirely sarcastic. It would explain my fits of laughter most of the video.

Maur DL

Boredom Slayer
Jul 8, 2009
This is the best Unskippable I've seen in a long time. I think only X-Blades made me laugh more.

Extraintrovert

Jul 28, 2010
Maybe that was why Piccolo destroyed the moon. He was just annoyed at how arrogant it had gotten from appearing in all these QUALITY games and he wanted to take it down a notch, but went a bit too far.

Let's just hope he doesn't do something similar if he ever meets Russel.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Decided to watch this after reading the tripartite debate between Graham, Yahtzee and Shamus of Stolen Pixels.
This is still my favourite Unskippable.

Recently played Alan Wake and loved it- thankfully it refused to follow Paul and Graham's rules!

EDIT: This Captcha thing is getting on my tits.

redarmyagent

Feb 5, 2010
GeorgW said:
So sorry to have insulted the bird-watching community. Y'know, because EVERYBODY knows the difference between all big black birds.

geeeez.

Also, lol: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-a-raven-and-a-crow.htm a Raven is a type of crow.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
redarmyagent said:
GeorgW said:
So sorry to have insulted the bird-watching community. Y'know, because EVERYBODY knows the difference between all big black birds.

geeeez.

Also, lol: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-a-raven-and-a-crow.htm a Raven is a type of crow.
4 months?? Are you serious??