Unskippable: X-Men: Destiny

Jul 9, 2008
MowDownJoe said:
Machete? BAH! The hammer was my melee weapon of choice in Bastion! Focus Attack, baby! One-shots almost anything. Helps that you charge it by guarding, so you can wait for an opening and then go in for the smash.
Puh-lease. Breaker's Bow and Brusher's Pike are the only way. Extreme power and enemy piercing from the bow, long-range melee, power, and armor piercing from the pike, extreme power and mobility from both.

It sounds like this game had such promise. I mean, creating your own xmen character and starring in a Bioware-style RPG? Sounds great. Too bad Silicon Knights are so bad lately. If Bioware or Obsidian (especially Obsidian; I love the thought of Chris Avellone writing Xmen) had this game, just imagine.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
Graham_LRR said:
To everyone else, I am so sorry for the Azreal/Raziel screwup. We're actually big fans of those games, and somehow completely dropped that ball. Haven't played them in years, you see.
I can see some similarity though, do not be too hard on yourself Graham.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
To be fair, Emma Frost's outfit would probably blend in pretty well nowadays. Maybe not right now, since it's the middle of winter, but you get the point.

Cheshire Cat

Sep 26, 2008
I'm playing this game at the moment and actually quite enjoying it. Yeah, it's no "The Witcher" level gameplay and story, but it's not too bad considering how games made from the Marvel universe are often crap.

The video was hilarious :-D

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
MatParker116 said:
What's the goth chick from the runaways doing in an X-Men game?
First X-Men movie, Rogue's a goth chick who ran away, possibly twice. There's a kind of connection.

Agree with the lack of subtlety in Timely March, bursting into flames, that outfit and yelling.

As for character selection not including X-Men, maybe there are unlockable characters and maybe the developers decided to go for the You Are Not A Demi-God angle for once, and let us play as characters who can't morph into the Statue Of Liberty and smack baddies around with a 30-foot gold-plated torch, can't regenerate in 1 minute from a single mytochondrion, can't fly to the moon to save the Apollo astronauts, can't mind-control an entire army and play three games of chess simultaneously, can't throw submarines at cruisers and don't have permission to walk into a high-level meeting at the Pentagon and tell them how to do their jobs. If it's done well, the fact you're trying to achieve your multiple serious goals and a few side-quests while the bigger characters are doign bigger things on a bigger scale all around you could make it more interesting. If it's done badly, it's just a volcano in the background of your lightsabre fight.

I wouldn't rush to dismiss a game just because you start out minor and weak.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Random Wanderer said:
The Gentleman said:
Your character options:

-Tiny Japanese girl
-Douche
-Super Douche

Why do they even have character selection at all?
That was essentially my reaction as well. There is one character who might (possibly) be somewhat interesting (and if not at least she's cute), and two characters that years of high school and movies and... well... comics have programmed us to utterly DESPISE on sight.
It doesn't bother me that I'm not playing an actual X-Person from the comics, but if I'm going to play my own character, I'd really like to play my own character. Last time I checked, we had pretty much perfected the "customize my own character to look and dress the way I want" technology sometime during the last console generation.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
GeorgW said:
Wait, why he start to burn? I get that that's his thing, but it seemed really unnecessary at the time.
More importantly why'd he start to burn ON A WOODEN PIER, after he told his daughter to STAY HIDDEN...... man they went all out trying to portray him as a bad father didn't they?

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Apparently the copy I rented chose to bug out and prevent me from finishing it. But then Silicon Knights is a shit developer so I shouldn't be surprised.

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
Really? Really? It sounded like they spliced together 20 different pitches for an X-Men with no effort put into narrative flow. All those natural disasters happened. The X-Men fell apart. There's a peace summit. Japanese punk-style is in. Nathan Drake is...Chad Backpack! Oh...wait, I get it. This is a massive troll aimed at all the stupid game ideas and plot devices they've received over the years. So this is the "Haha! This game is why you don't design videogames" game. Right? Right?!

Also I'm assuming that's the Berlin Wall so maybe it was Die Muties! it was "the muties" only in German.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Chad Backpack. Yep, that's going to be my name next time I play a Zelda game.

UtterTramp

Oct 29, 2009
Graham_LRR said:
To everyone else, I am so sorry for the Azreal/Raziel screwup. We're actually big fans of those games, and somehow completely dropped that ball. Haven't played them in years, you see.
Go play Soul Reaver now! And... make a video of it :).

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
sketch_zeppelin said:
I actually love the idea behind X-Men Destiny. A Bio-ware inspired RPG where you get to create the newest member of the X-Men from scratch! That sounds awsome!!! Its just too bad they forgot to make the game any good.
My thoughts exactly, except for the "forgot to make the game any good" part. I thought X-Men Destiny was great, the story was good enough and the combat very enjoyable, it's just far, far too short. The entire game as it is should have barely been more than the first chapter, it should have been at least 5 times longer than it was.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
ForgottenPr0digy said:
because of this game Silcon knights will never get a chance for Too Human 2 because this game did so poorly in sales.
well if the game wasn't so bloody underwhelming then maybe they could have made another too human game

err..

i was under the impression too human sucked, why do we want another?