Unskippable: Yakuza 4 - Part 1

pointless vandalism

Mar 27, 2012
Jesus CHRIST that cut scene was horrid. Even the fun commentary wasn't enough. I literally was alt tabbing to the Escapist main page. My hat is off to you guys for having to watch it then do audio over it.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
GamemasterAnthony said:
MonkeyPunch said:
Talk about ambiguous anti-spam puzzle...
You typed in the word "odd", didn't you? *points dramatically* Admit it! ADMIT IT!!
*looks down at feet* I... I did.

I had a lot of good answers for that one. "The opposite of the Bates motel" was one of the first that came to mind.
"A good place to stay for someone suffering from tridecaphobia." etc.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I DO answer my phone with "Moshi moshi" on occasion.

Important Draco facts!

Other ways I answer my phone.

"Hola"
"Yo"
"Ye'llo"
"YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSS?"
"What's up?"
"Laboratory. This is William speaking, how man I help you?"
"Sup F****t?"
"Yes Love?"
"Fuck you mang!"
"Watchu want?"

And my personal favorite

*Random string of cuss words*

beefpelican

Apr 15, 2009
I really like this scene. It's slow but I feel like I know a lot more about what he's thinking just from the way he walks than I would if it was some sort of super dramatic "THE YEAR IS 20XX! JAPAN IS GANGSTERLICIOUS!" Type scene. Granted, all he was thinking that scene was "Awww fuck I'm tired" but still, I could relate to him.

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
Zom-B said:
I suppose you can say "nothing happens" in the scene, but it but that doesn't mean it doesn't tell us about the character, set tone and mood and set the story in motion. The fact that for you "nothing happens' just supports my opinion that you can't appreciate something that isn't paced for the ADHD mind set or comprised of flashcuts and shaky cam video.
I don't appreciate that you're making a judgment call on my tastes based on this. FWIW I can't stand shaky cam. And please stop throwing around "ADHD".

But still, let's get into this scene.

What do we learn from this cutscene?

- Mr. A is so bored (or depressed) by his job (or life, it isn't clear) to the extent that he's forgotten about collection day.
- He doesn't want to upset Hana so he tries to make an excuse about the rain to cover for himself.

That shouldn't take 5 minutes.

- Beyond his mopey-ness induced irresponsibility, we don't learn anything about Mr. A.
- We learn nothing about Hana (sure she's upset, but he just blew her off, anyone would be).
- We don't know what "Collection Day" even means. Presumably it's some sort of extortion deal, but that's only because we know the game is called Yakuza.
- We know there's a serial killer, because it straight-up tells us that.

As for tone, the only tone established is plodding, melancholy boredom. If that's what they were going for, kudos, but establish boredom with boredom is still boredom.

I am making the argument that whatever tone or mood this scene is trying to establish, it does so poorly.
I am not saying "it's bad because there are no jump-cuts".

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
Graham_LRR said:
Zom-B said:
I suppose you can say "nothing happens" in the scene, but it but that doesn't mean it doesn't tell us about the character, set tone and mood and set the story in motion. The fact that for you "nothing happens' just supports my opinion that you can't appreciate something that isn't paced for the ADHD mind set or comprised of flashcuts and shaky cam video.
I don't appreciate that you're making a judgment call on my tastes based on this. FWIW I can't stand shaky cam. And please stop throwing around "ADHD".

But still, let's get into this scene.

What do we learn from this cutscene?

- Mr. A is so bored (or depressed) by his job (or life, it isn't clear) to the extent that he's forgotten about collection day.
- He doesn't want to upset Hana so he tries to make an excuse about the rain to cover for himself.

That shouldn't take 5 minutes.

- Beyond his mopey-ness induced irresponsibility, we don't learn anything about Mr. A.
- We learn nothing about Hana (sure she's upset, but he just blew her off, anyone would be).
- We don't know what "Collection Day" even means. Presumably it's some sort of extortion deal, but that's only because we know the game is called Yakuza.
- We know there's a serial killer, because it straight-up tells us that.

As for tone, the only tone established is plodding, melancholy boredom. If that's what they were going for, kudos, but establish boredom with boredom is still boredom.

I am making the argument that whatever tone or mood this scene is trying to establish, it does so poorly.
I am not saying "it's bad because there are no jump-cuts".
You know what? If Unskippable was this concise and reasoned it would be worth watching. Instead it's two guys making bad jokes and going "hur hur hur".

Goofy cracks about ash tray art pieces, gangsters that don't pay for cleaning ladies, the rain jokes... I mean come on. Talk about banality. The fact that I had to goad you into actually giving a real opinion is why Unskippable isn't worth my time.

It's one thing if you want to look at a game and criticize it, but if all you can be bothered to do is make stale jokes- probably the same stale jokes time after time- I hope you don't expect not to be called on it every now and then.

I mean, what's the point of Unskippable? Funny commentary on cut scenes? Fine, but you're missing the funny. Or is it some sort of insightful analysis of what does and doesn't work in cut scenes and the game story? Again, fine, but if all you're doing is making dumb jokes, then I'm going to be here saying: "What the fuck is the point of this unfunny video?"

Of course you seem to have a few fans, but I can see I'm not the only one that doesn't agree with your simplistic view that this scene is "banal". You also contradict yourself: We know there's a serial killer, because it straight-up tells us that., but directly proceeding this incisive observation you seem to be put out that the game doesn't straight up tell you what Collection Day is. Which do you want? A 30 second scene that just spells everything out? Or a 5 minute scene that isn't just quick cuts and action?

Your views on this scene just really scream that you can't abide something slower paced because you lack the focus to follow something that isn't moving at warp speed. It also says to me that you can't appreciate a scene that doesn't fit into your little box of what is "good".

If Unskippable was anything at all like your last response to me, I'd probably watch it more often. In it's current form, I guarantee you I would never bother wasting my time with it again. I guess if you want an audience that appreciates a bad joke, that's fine, and based upon the relatively paltry amount of comments your videos receive, your audience is neither large nor particularly wordy. If you want an audience that will engage you in a discussion of your criticisms and really talk about the industry, you're doing it all wrong.

JehuBot

Jun 1, 2011
The first half of the cutscene with the phones was truly hilarious, especially Paul's "Oh, I wish I can answer my phone calls with Moshi Moshi." XD

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
ForgottenPr0digy said:
why would that be? They are a modern developed country. Tons of tech comes from Japan)cars,cellphones,video games etc..)

WTF is wrong with you?
Have you ever heard of something called satire?

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
Zom-B said:
If you want an audience that will engage you in a discussion of your criticisms and really talk about the industry, you're doing it all wrong.
That's why we have CheckPoint [http://penny-arcade.com/patv/show/checkpoint].
Unskippable is not for taking controversial opinions to increase page views.

Sorry you don't find it funny.

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
Graham_LRR said:
Zom-B said:
If you want an audience that will engage you in a discussion of your criticisms and really talk about the industry, you're doing it all wrong.

So you'd rather direct me to an entirely different website? So be it. I guess it is easier to push people away than it is to accept, admittedly rude to start with, criticism.

Graham_LRR

Nov 13, 2008
Zom-B said:
Graham_LRR said:
Zom-B said:

So you'd rather direct me to an entirely different website? So be it. I guess it is easier to push people away than it is to accept, admittedly rude to start with, criticism.
Dude, seriously.
I fully accepted your criticism and tried to engage you in debate, but you didn't actually address any points I raised and instead attacked me and the show.

You need to accept that Unskippable is simply not the show you want it to be. I'm okay with that, it's not for everyone.

Fenris Frost

Oct 22, 2009
Collection Day is not spelled out, because we find out moments later what that entails. Better that we experience along with Mr. A what it means to be him, and why he differs from past experiences in the series, than an info dump. It is a slow day and we experience it with him. A certain atmosphere is created; Akiyama is fairly laid back, perhaps a little lazy, and this is very much the calm before the storm. The game is a good mix of plot relayed via cut scenes as well as action, and the immediacy of the combat counterbalances the slow pace of the exposition in such a way that neither becomes tiresome. High octane sugar-rush OTT violence, character development. I'm not sure how you would have portrayed the same scene in terms of the bullet points you laid out beyond a yawn, a quick phone call involving an "As you know, on Collection Day you" and then an immediate fist fight. Certainly, I wouldn't have been nearly as into that game and more than likely neither would its intended audience (because let's not forget it's primarily aimed at the Japanese, who are better acquainted with the slower burn than their Western counterparts).

0over0

Dec 30, 2006
Very funny, guys.
As for the game itself, it was really nice to see a game that doesn't begin with a dinosaur crashing into an airplane taking out a skyscraper with the president (and his lovely daughter) inside that then throws the entire world into another dark ages.
Banal can be good.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Do Japanese people really sound like that when they speak Japanese?
I hear it a lot in anime and I've been curious if that's real or just like a cartoon voice.
I think it's pretty cool, if I learn Japanese will I sound like that?

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Draconalis said:
"Watchu want?"
HA! I love it. You should include more from video games.
Like...
"Watcha buying?"
"Watcha selling?... I'll sell it at a high price."

Or, one that my journalism teacher taught the class...
"NEWS ROOM!"
To ensure that person will never call that number again.

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
"Punch that guy!"
I was actually thinking that right before Paul said it. Was that wrong?