Unused Historical Periods?

Feriluce

Apr 1, 2010
Treeinthewoods said:
India during the time of British Colonialization. You could play as a soldier in Ghandi's army and achieve total victory by simply not doing what the British said.

Brit - Press X now!
You - No.
The Anti-Quicktime event!

"Press X to not die"
"No!"

Oomii

Dec 17, 2009
Don't know if I have ever seen a good Revolutionary War game. Though its hard to make a game in the period at all, but still.

llafnwod

Nov 9, 2007
Wildrow12 said:
You know what we need? A Dynasty Warriors style game set during the Hundred Years War.
Oh Christ. That game does not need more archers.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Flying-Emu said:
Dormin111 said:
I hate to say it, but technically every time period in history has been covered by Civilization IV.
Except prehistory.
How can you have pre-history? Everything in the past is history. So prehistory would be...before time?

Actually that *would* be interesting.

DaMan1500 said:
I don't know of any real ninja games set in feudal Japan
Tenchu games sound like they'd be right up your alley. Fun games, I thought.

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
Anticitizen_Two said:
I'd love to play a first-person Medieval combat game.
Does 'Mount & Blade' count?

I can't think of too many games that are set in the early 1900's. Maybe there are some I don't know about?
There's potential for a cool crime drama story there, or if you want to get zany, a kart racing game based around the design of early cars, or wacky steam powered car-like contraptions.

socialmenace42

May 8, 2010
Irridium said:
Something to do with the Mongol invasions.

I would love to see a game about that.
See Age of Empires II for Mongols. Also, the expansion pack featured an Atilla the Hun campaign.

As for me, I wouldn't mind some kind of civil uprising FPS, perhapse based in Franko's Spain during the Spanish civil war. Would be something fresh.

Entropyutd

Apr 12, 2010
-Samurai- said:
DaMan1500 said:
For example, there are a trillion WWII games, but I don't know of any real ninja games set in feudal Japan, which is something I'd love to see. Any other good vacant historical settings?
So, then you've never played any of the Tenchu games?

I wouldn't mind seeing a civil war game. You'd pretty much only get 1 shot, better make it count.
North Vs South (Amiga civil war game)
Getttsburg - Great PC Strategy game.
I'm sure Zero Punctuation reviewed a game with a civil war theme too (and time travel) but the name escapes me.

I guess if you want to be picky then most time periods have been covered by games like Civilization.

PopeJewish

Apr 15, 2010
Amnestic said:
Flying-Emu said:
Dormin111 said:
I hate to say it, but technically every time period in history has been covered by Civilization IV.
Except prehistory.
How can you have pre-history? Everything in the past is history. So prehistory would be...before time?

pre-history is before RECORDED history, so not really before time itself, though sorta (as time is relative). Also Evo for the genesis kinda has this covered ;)

DaMan1500 said:
I don't know of any real ninja games set in feudal Japan
Tenchu games sound like they'd be right up your alley. Fun games, I thought.[/quote]

Yea, Tenchu games and several other series are set in feudal Japan (there are a lot in sengoku era)

Mr. Twitch said:
What about pre-Columbus North America?
This was my thought. I'd like to see an RPG based on the Gary Jennings book "Aztec." Which was a bit lengthy but absolutely fantastic

theamazingbean

Dec 29, 2009
ultrachicken said:
The battle of Troy?
Actually, that has potential to be great.
If by great, you mean 10 years of boring siege warfare. Unless you want to kick historical accuracy in the balls, in which case I would like to suggest the Trojan Horse re-imagined as a steampunk war machine given to the Greeks by a time-traveling Archimedes.

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
Amnestic said:
Flying-Emu said:
Dormin111 said:
Except prehistory.

Prehistory normally refers to a time before there was writing.

I would want to see more Sino-Japanese wars stuff (don't know if those have been covered yet) and perhaps a game featuring Mao's Long March.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
China around 220 BCE. I wanna participate in the rise and fall of the Qin Dynasty, dammit!

Also, Heian era Japan. You could probably get cute and claim that Okami covered that, but that game seemed to be set more in a mythologically-influenced earlier period. I wanna see something mid-Heian with court intrigue, or possibly even late Heian with the rise of the samurai.

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
theamazingbean said:
ultrachicken said:
The battle of Troy?
Actually, that has potential to be great.
If by great, you mean 10 years of boring siege warfare. Unless you want to kick historical accuracy in the balls, in which case I would like to suggest the Trojan Horse re-imagined as a steampunk war machine given to the Greeks by a time-traveling Archimedes.
That has to be the most awesome idea I've ever read. If I had a couple million dollars I'd put money into developing that.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
The_Healer said:
The Dark Ages....

It would be a good era to do, as no one know what went on and you could just make shit up.
Except we totally know what went on during the dark ages. At least, in most of Europe. Details are sketchy but we do have a pretty solid historical narative for most of the dark ages.
But I agree that it would be a pretty sweet setting. Medieval games focus on the late period too much in my opinion.
A game set during the Russian civil war could be cool too. That or the Crimean War, that could be hilarious/pointless.
A naval game set during the Russo-Japanese war could be cool too.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Alternate post-apocalypse idea:

"Global Warming: The Aftermath"

The game would consist entirely of you staring at a flooded, slowly rotating, post-apocalyptic Earth, feeling sorrow and regret for your selfish, selfish ways.

I'm predicting a multi-platinum hit here.