Upcoming games doomed to destroy their franchises?

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
buy teh haloz said:
Halo 4. No doubt in my mind.
Exactly,it feels like it's just made to make the Halo fanboys happy and give Microsoft more money,at least Reach and ODST took place before the supposed war ended,Halo 3's slogan was literally to finish the fight,well what the fuck happened to that?

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
I have 3, Fable since it's basically a kinect game now (unless everyones willing to fork out what £100+ for one?), Dragon Age 3 since there planning on combining origins and 2's elements *shiver*, and since hearing this i have my doubts in Mass Effect 3, i hope i'm wrong about them but still i have lost some faith in bioware and until they gain it back i shall continue to doubt.

As for lionhead i've never really understood them, first fable on pc, 2nd wasn't, 3rd at least 6 months after xbox, 4th? i'm assuming it's not or going to be incredibly late.

Blood Countess

Oct 22, 2010
LordRoyal said:
Blood Countess said:
Tomb Raider isn't promising since Square is behind it and look at their track record lately
Square owns Eidos now and they released Deus Ex Human Revolution, and that wasnt half bad
you got a good point there hun still not the most stellar track record and I like the Tomb Raider games so I do hope it's good

BadPublicity

Sep 17, 2010
Well Battlefield 3 isn't really winning over any fans for PC due to EA pulling a few dick moves.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
LordRoyal said:
What upcoming games do you believe are going to be the death of their franchises?

Personally I see Mass Effect 3 as the peak of it's series, and it's going to be forever doomed to repetitive spin offs.
Remember, the developer IS Bioware. As far as I know, they have never made an unsuccessful game. DA2 was probably the worst, and even it was pretty good.

SeeIn2D

May 24, 2011
Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One. I love this series and I don't care that every game is literally a rehashed copy of the previous ones with different guns and planets. However All 4 One is taking a step in a stupid direction that I will not be partaking in. I'm hoping Insomniac pulls their heads out of their asses and makes a real Ratchet and Clank again after that travesty is released.

LordRoyal

May 13, 2011
Da Orky Man said:
LordRoyal said:
What upcoming games do you believe are going to be the death of their franchises?

Personally I see Mass Effect 3 as the peak of it's series, and it's going to be forever doomed to repetitive spin offs.
Remember, the developer IS Bioware. As far as I know, they have never made an unsuccessful game. DA2 was probably the worst, and even it was pretty good.
The series isn't owned strictly by Bioware. Even if it was EA would buy it off them the instant ME3 was released.

Why? Contract another one of their subsidiaries to make a Mass Effect spin off. Bioware isn't independent anymore.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
LordRoyal said:
Da Orky Man said:
LordRoyal said:

The series isn't owned strictly by Bioware. Even if it was EA would buy it off them the instant ME3 was released.

Why? Contract another one of their subsidiaries to make a Mass Effect spin off. Bioware isn't independent anymore.
Even EA isn't stupid enough to do that. Mass Effect has the possibility to be the next big sci-fi franchise. Why would EA ever take such a potential money-maker away from one of the most successful developers around? It would be like handing Call of Duty over to the devs who made Too Human.

LordRoyal

May 13, 2011
Da Orky Man said:
Even EA isn't stupid enough to do that. Mass Effect has the possibility to be the next big sci-fi franchise. Why would EA ever take such a potential money-maker away from one of the most successful developers around? It would be like handing Call of Duty over to the devs who made Too Human.
EA has a history of doing that constantly. Ever heard of Command and Conquer? That series is in the Guinness world book of records for sales.

They've stated that ME3 isn't the end of the Mass effect franchise several times.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
I'd have to go with XCOM, although, arguably, it's so different that it's in a different franchise altogether. It'll probably fade away like Enforcer, leaving the original(s) intact. I can hope so, anyway.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
l3o2828 said:
I'm not entirely sure, but Silent Hill downpour sounds so so so much lamer than Homecoming.
Perhaps i'm just being a silly fanboy, but i definetly find that western developers don't grasp the true concept of horror.
The trailer looked promising though.

For me it's personal taste, so really these franchises won't die off people will buy it and it'll continue on while I moan and groan about how the series is actually dead and you lot are idiots for not wanting better.

Such examples are the new Lara croft game, which promises to claw at Uncharteds heels and forget about everything that made Tombraider the original 3rd person action adventure pioneer.

Another is Bioshock Infinite, it'll be above average at best but it'll be another step in the wrong direction for the 'Shock' series. I.e the direction that steers far away from that of Levine's masterpiece System Shock 2 and gives us a game with little to no story or atmosphere ala Bioshock.

It's like all the franchises I enjoy are being watered down massively in each subsequent release. At least most Japanese developers are keeping most of their franchises going well and catering adequately to fan expectations and wants.