Update 2: EA Dismisses Dungeon Keeper Mobile Criticism

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
"EA Games: challenge everything!" including the sensibilities of fans of one of the best games ever made.

Dungeon Keeper was a perfect management game both mechanically and with its setting. Now we get this shit.

EA going for a hat-trick. Golden poo. Three years in a row.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
...WWHAGALGGALHARGH WHAT?!

There are simply no words adequate to describe my frustration with EA at this point. I'm done, that's all, that's it, I am never going to buy another product from EA. Mirror's Edge 2 looked intriguing but...That company deserves to wither and die, but not before they get a third golden poop.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
truckspond said:
Thank goodness for people making videos on the internet! They can articulate the frustrations with the game way better than I can! http://www.nerdcubed.co.uk/videos/nerdcubed-101-dungeon-keeper-mobile/
Thank you for reminding me i need to watch more nerdcubed.

Abomination said:
"EA Games: challenge everything!" including the sensibilities of fans of one of the best games ever made.

Dungeon Keeper was a perfect management game both mechanically and with its setting. Now we get this shit.

EA going for a hat-trick. Golden poo. Three years in a row.
i always said that their "Challenge everything" meant that they are trying to challenge common sense and see how far they can psuh their users without it explding in their face. sort of like how those folks who experimented with Chernobyl till it went boom.

i so want the consumerist be allow EA in for the third year (looks like thier article on it thinks that EA overshadows other "bigger" problems and thus shouldnt be up for voting this year).

i do wish they would keep getting the golden poos till they actually fix thier practices. and even more i wish that people would stop buying crap like this.

The World Famous

Mar 1, 2010
Rabid_meese said:
Its situations like this that I wish the same people who downvote bomb scores on MetaCritic would do the same to this game.
Interestingly enough, they DID bomb it on Metacritic. It's critic score is 46, and its user score is sitting at a healthy 0.2.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
StHubi said:
I just read the article's update and now I understand how the 5 star ratings are created. Is that even legal or allowed by the Google Play rules?
Technically it's not. Influencing the rating in any way is against Google's submission policy. But apps get a sort of score, and as long as they don't break too many rules, they pass.

Lunareclipse123

Aug 14, 2007
I sincerely hope that the people to come out on top of this issue are GoG and Subterranian games. Raising awareness of a good franchise can be the only positive we can grasp from all this.

That is if it doesn't miraculously destroy EA entirely... But that would be way too much to ask.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
I don't understand how the developers that made this piece of utter garbage can look themselves in the mirror when they go home. They have to know. They have to know that what they made is a complete disgrace to what used to be a wonderful series. Was this what they envisioned when they went to school? That one day they'd help ruin gaming while working at EA?

EA *destroyed* Bullfrog and years later has the gall to dredge up this wonderful series and release a free to play mobile piece of dreck?

Also hilarious is him bragging about their 4.5 rating. Coincidentally, their metascore for the game is also 4.5........out of 10.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Flatfrog said:
I haven't read the whole thread but one thing no one seems to be referring to is what seems to me the most obvious game that EA were modelling this on, Clash of Clans. My son plays this quite a lot, pretty much exactly as EA describes - he nips onto it every day for a few minutes, monitors his status, picks up any gold that's lying about, looks back over footage of any raids carried out on his fortress, moves a few things around, sets various things in motion and turns the game off again. I don't let him spend any money on microtransactions, but it doesn't appear to bother him at all.
There is a huge difference, because, while Clash of Clans is aimed at getting money, but it's not as horrible as Dungeon Keeper.
I actually tried it.
It actually works in CoC because it starts out fast and lets you build all the basics in a short time. It takes longer after that, but the timecost only gradually increases.
Trying to build larger buildings takes a lot of time, but the main action of the game is raiding other players not building buildings.
And recruiting troops is fast enough so that you can pop and and do a few raids in a short time.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Pure unadulterated greed, disgusting just disgusting.

Stavros Dimou

Mar 15, 2011
its getting ridiculous that it happens so often nowdays for companies to use names of completely unrelated products to name something completely different that has no relation with that other product.

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
Wow! Five stars on Google Bullshit when you only let people vote 5 stars! That's amazing! Let me just check Metacritic and see what the user ratings have to say...

Oh. Ohhh... Oh, my.

Zero.

I've never seen this before! Congradulations, EA, you pissed off Gamers so much that you drove your Metacritic score down to ZERO! Do you realize what an accomplishment that is?

You're off to a great start, EA! At this rate, your third year as Worst Company in America is all but assured. I sure hope all the other shit companies out there are paying you under the table to lock it down this hard.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
This isn't Dungeon Keeper. They used the name just to get people to play it. It's a shameful violation of a once great IP.

This is why everyone hates you, EA.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Haha, that Beeb article linked in the second update refers straight back him to our Jimothy's review! Nice to see it continuing to gain wider and wider attention. Still standing by your earlier comments, EA?

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Steven Bogos said:
"I felt myself turning round saying, 'What? This is ridiculous. I just want to make a dungeon. I don't want to schedule it on my alarm clock for six days to come back for a block to be chipped,'"
Peter molineux talking about senselessly chipping away at blocks for weeks.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Hey guys remember when EA said they didn't want to be voted the worst company again? and said they were going to make sure that they changed their image and really make an effort so that they don't get voted such again?

ya neither do I. I guess they remembered they like money.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I love that the BBC reported on this!

I can just imagine them asking "what is Dungeon Keeper?" a kind of game, I think? "who IS this Peter Moly-molynux-Molyneux?" No idea! "why is this a story?" something about the game being expensive?

The BBC just isn't on the level of gaming news, don't know why they wrote this story up.

Oh, now I know why the escapist added that little last update ... "Reviewer Jim Sterling from The Escapist said", which made the escapist offices erupt in a roar of "WE GOT NOTICED!".

It terms of the game being expensive, I have seen much worse ... hasn't warframe got a £79 option? (or in the ball park of?)

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Alright CALM DOWN EVERYONE!
EA isn't erasing every trace of DK and DK2 out of existence
Yes, people got something else, not what they wanted
But stop being so close-minded, it's not healthy for you or society.
If anything DKM is quite innovative game
I would even go so far and claim that is one of first games of "pay-to-pay" genre
Just think about it, you can pay to pay later and pay after that and keep paying for as long as you want
Far too long people who had more money than brains were hindered by such nuisances as "gameplay" or "fun"
And isn't one of the marvels of gamer community is that is all-inclusive?
Now, thanks to EA, there is game for stupid rich people too
And I think it's wonderful

P.S. This post was fueled by almost 4y long C&C4-induced insanity. Thank you EA.