Update: A Rocky Start For The War Z

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Wow and I thought TB may have been a bit rough with the review, I was lead in the video comments to believe this game was still only in Alpha release storta like Minecraft and Don't Starve. I had no idea this game was basically launched but just never included anything. God I feel bad that this is a top seller on Steam, well off to buy Farcry 3 for me!

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
dragongit said:
*snort* I'd just like to point out, that there was a really angry customer who altered the WarZ wiki page regarding Titov here. http://www.twzwiki.com/view/Sergey_Titov
Wow, that's a little over the top there.

Nihlus2

Feb 8, 2011
This is just disgraceful, plain and simple.

Why Valve is turning such a blind eye to it as the distributer is kinda disturbing in of itself as well.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Mass refund demands on Steam?

If enough people yell loud enough it'll happen...

More to the point, how did this lump even get a Steam release in the first place?
Because the devs have a released game on steam already, they get to pass the verification process. Stupid policy tbh.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Jove said:
Apple does it all the time for their Apps.
Not all the time, there are the two big debacles I can think of off the top of my head.

Pokemon Yellow, which didn't work. At all.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.351547-Counterfeit-Pokemon-Game-Tops-App-Charts

Several Super Mario copy pastes.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109681-Apple-Approves-Blatant-Mario-Rip-Off-for-App-Store
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119631-iOS-Game-Takes-Mario-Knockoffs-to-The-Next-Level

I'm not trying to defend Valve, just making the point that even Apple doesn't do a very good job checking either and the above examples are actually in some ways worse than the current. The hope is that this entire thing will make Valve change their policy and take the game down.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Irridium said:
You guys, Sergey Titov is one of the two programmers who made Big Rigs. I repeat, the developer of this game made Big Rigs.
I knew I recognised that name. I can't believe he's still around, and still involved in games not delivering what they promised. Wow. That's some serious chutzpah there.

Aeryn Seoung

Aug 21, 2009
dragongit said:
*snort* I'd just like to point out, that there was a really angry customer who altered the WarZ wiki page regarding Titov here. http://www.twzwiki.com/view/Sergey_Titov
Yeah, it's funny - but it's also plain immature. If people want to do something and try to get the changes they want, they should go and join the others on the Steam Community page who are trying to work with Valve to come to a solution.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Irridium said:
You guys, Sergey Titov is one of the two programmers who made Big Rigs. I repeat, the developer of this game made Big Rigs.

Avoid this game like the fucking plague people.
Holy fuck, you're right!

That and the EULA being ripped out of the League of Legends' Terms of Service pretty much shifted my opinion from "mildly interested" to "thoroughly disgusted".

I'm guessing this is going to be a lesson learned for us Greenlight backers. I never upvoted War Z personally, but I can see how shady projects could definitely see the light of day with Valve's system.

Valok

Nov 17, 2010
Karloff said:
Well it seems to be "gone" from Steam now, it's not on the Top 10 and If I search for it although it's still there the buy option is gone. Nice to see something has been done.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
It does appear that the game has been stripped of it's right to be perchased from Steam. Sure you can still buy it from their webpage, but that's their buissness. It had no right to be released in it's state on Steam without warning that it was still very much an Alpha product, or foundation whatever their excuse was. They should not have advertized functions that were clearly not in the game.

They are free to, I guess, try again in the future. I can almost garentee you though, that many people will not be so likely to trust their word from here on out.

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
It does indeed appear that while the game is advertised on Steam, you can no longer buy it. Great. Sweet justice has been done.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Titov: "Okay... How much money was I able to rake in before the Valve Police kicked the doors in? This much? Well, that'll do. So long, Hammerpoint suckers, I'm off to get hookers and blow!"

Hammerpoint employees: *ka-sob*

Average Gamer: *is probably reminded of Elwood Bartlett's Kickstarter campaign*

If Titov seriously sticks around, he's in for a few years of serious work. Not that he seems inclined to consider it; ripping content left and right is so much more effective a game design process, right?

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Article is way behind the news as other sites such as kotaku reported steam just pulled WarZ from being purchased due too all the lies, false advertising, and scamming.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
War Z has finally been removed from Steam. How on Earth did Valve even allow that piece of garbage on Steam in the first place is beyond me. I hope they all learned from this and they will check the content they put on there in the future.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Playbahnosh said:
War Z has finally been removed from Steam. How on Earth did Valve even allow that piece of garbage on Steam in the first place is beyond me. I hope they all learned from this and they will check the content they put on there in the future.
I agree it was a bad press for both Hammerpoint and Valve. I am sure this will lead to valve being a bit more cautious about what games to put in the store and checking descriptions. I am also glad they responded so fast to the scam.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
where in fact they imagined something to themselves without checking details first.
Reading an official feature list is checking details first. It's not the user's fault if you gave incorrect details and they believed you.

P.S. Thanks

Lectori Salutem

Apr 11, 2011
I like how 'Foundation Release' is a term I've never heard of and all Google gives me are links related to The War Z.
This is as alpha as it can be and not fit for sale, whatever fancy name they decide to give it.