Update: Activision "Might Have to Stop Supporting Sony"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Update: Activision "Might Have to Stop Supporting Sony"

Activision boss Bobby Kotick says that without a PS3 price cut to boost the system, the world's largest publisher just might have to cut support for Sony's console entirely.

Okay. Let's be fair, here: Bobby Kotick is the head of the largest videogame publisher in the world. That may give him free rein to occasionally say things that most other people wouldn't get away with. But while Kotick is certainly no stranger to stirring up a bit of controversy every now and then, this is the first thing he's said in a very long time that made me literally stare at my monitor, dumbfounded.

Speaking with the Times [http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/media/article6531367.ece?print=yes&randnum=1245400825888], Kotick expressed concerns for how Sony's PS3 was faring in this generation's console war - not only its place in the market, but also how expensive it could be to develop for. "I'm getting concerned about Sony; the PlayStation 3 is losing a bit of momentum and they don't make it easy for me to support the platform. It's expensive to develop for the console, and the Wii and the Xbox are just selling better. Games generate a better return on invested capital on the Xbox than on the PlayStation," said Kotick.

That, though, isn't so surprising. I mean, Kotick is a businessman first and foremost with the financial interests of his company at heart, and he wouldn't be the first industry figure to say something like that. Then, he dropped the bombshell:

"They have to cut the price, because if they don't, the attach rates are likely to slow. If we are being realistic, we might have to stop supporting Sony." This isn't a long-term plan, either - it could be as soon as next year. "When we look at 2010 and 2011, we might want to consider if we support the console - and the PSP too."

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt for a moment: Assuming that what he says is true, and Wii/Xbox games do indeed generate a much better return on investment than PS3 ones, cutting support for the console would be a fairly sound business decision. But I still can't help but feel absolutely flabbergasted. Not only would something like that seem to completely fly in the face of the trend this generation to move away from exclusives, but to publicly say something like that is ... well, that takes a special kind of audacity.

As of late, Sony has been quick to boast of a bevy of upcoming first-and-third-party exclusives, and the console does seem to be catching its stride. Even so, losing the world's largest publisher (and consequently huge brands like Guitar Hero and Call of Duty) would be one hell of a deathblow.

Update: A pair of responses. First, outspoken analyst Michael Pachter (seriously, that dude's everywhere) called Kotick's statement "claim that the PSP Go was a ripoff [http://www.vg247.com/2009/06/19/acti-sony-threat-of-course-bobbys-bluffing-says-pachter/]: "I think they'll say to Bobby, 'You hurt our feelings.' And Bobby will say, 'Who cares?'"

Then, Sony actually did respond [http://www.vg247.com/2009/06/19/sony-on-kotick-ps3-drop-threat-we-respect-third-party-opinion-but-no-comment/], but it was much less interesting than Pachter had predicted: "We respect our third-parties' opinions and their right to express those opinions but we will not be commenting on this story."

Lame, Sony. And here I was looking for you guys to throw the gauntlet. I'm disappointed in you, because this is much less entertaining.

(Via Videogamer [http://www.videogamer.com/news/activision_we_might_have_to_stop_supporting_sony.html])

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
I can understand where he's coming from. If Sony don't announce price cuts, then people don't buy the console or the games, and he loses the millions of dollars he's invested into the PS3 and PSP. It's all a business decision. I've been thinking about Sony lately, and how that if they don't stop looking through rose-tinted glasses, they might have a dead console on their hands.

It's a sad truth.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
If Activision were to cut support, I think the PS3 would be dead in a year. Look at it this way. Remember HD DVD, when one company stopped support, loads followed, and now the format is dead.

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
Anyway, I don't care about Sony any more as they've done too many poor decisions and are quickly losing relevance. Anyway, Nintendo and Microsoft got platforms that are more straight forward to develop on than the obscur PS3 architectural abomination.

I think Microsoft's 360+Natal and Nintendo's Wii(+) will do just fine in these harsh times...

EDIT: It's interesting that a growing number of key developers and companies are threatening to drop and stop supporting Sony's platform. I hope Sony rot and die.

APPCRASH

Mar 30, 2009
It is a rare occasion where you can tell an editor to use the search button.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.120068
Beat by 22 minutes.

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
APPCRASH said:
Beat by 22 minutes.
Forum members are not the ones who write news. Should CantFaketheFunk just C&P? I don't think so.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
APPCRASH said:
Beat by 22 minutes.
The forums =/= the News Room. Plenty of people on our site never touch the forums. Whether or not a member of the community happens to scrounge up a piece of news before we write it up - and we have very specific style and quality guidelines for this sort of thing - is actually completely irrelevant.

Edit: And, of course, ninja'd :p

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Flame On.

Seriously. I'm not into GH or COD but those are pretty big franchises. He wouldn't be making public threats like that at this point unless he was trying to leverage something out of sony.
But what?
I doubt it's anything as transparent as what he's requesting: price cut; programmers who can figure out how the ps3 works.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
APPCRASH said:
Actually, no it isn't. Most of the news is copied and pasted.
This is kind of insulting to the people who spend hours of their day writing news posts, don't you think?

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Seeing as we're in the middle of a financial crisis, it makes sense that larger costs for production (developers/publishers) and purchase (consumers) is going to be seen as a bad thing all round (and thus won't earn many supporters).

One of the PS3's biggest faults has always been the price tag, it doesn't matter how good your console and games are if no-one has the green to buy it (and if no-one buys it, no-one will have the small potatoes to make it and so on), with this being the case it's not suprising that this has occured (and my theory is now that the Blu-ray won't be far behind).

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
Wait, Activision - they're the ones who dropped Brutal Legend, have actually said they are in this industry to exploit games and gamers, and have managed to convince Blizzard to launch Starcraft II in three parts to get three times the money from their loyal fans, right?

And even without the context, that face is a real Backpfeifengesicht.
APPCRASH said:
Actually, no it isn't. Most of the news is copied and pasted.
The StarCraft II trilogy decision was Blizzard's own to create a great large game. Would you rather wait until 2014?

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
APPCRASH said:
Beat by 22 minutes.
actualy that happens quite a bit. however, the new room writes the stories better so no one cares about the forum posting stories like that.

On topic, I have to say this man might have the largest set of balls in the entire videogame industry. I know he's the head of the largest publisher of games but Jesus Christ, does this guy need to wear special pants so his balls don't rip through our flimsy regular pants?

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
If Sony makes a price cut, they'll be dead within a year too. It's a sort of stalemate, but at least now they stand to lose less money over the whole thing.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
This is pretty crazy, actually.
I can't imagine good to come from this, unless Sony says 'Ok' and cuts the price.

But I'm not holding my breath on that one.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
Where are his horns? Must have been photoshopped out. It's unfortunate that the PS3 is going to lose such a major publisher, but on the bright side, Activision is about as evil as gaming companies get, so I'm actually a bit happy they won't have anything to do with Sony for a while.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
I can see the position he is coming from it is a business after all. It would be a big blow to sony to loose activision as 3rd party developer.
I just think it is funny how he is basically saying we don't make as much on your console games but you loose money making your console so why not loose a little more money on your console and then we can make more money on our games. The price cut is not just as easy as saying alright the console is now $299. There is alot more to it.