Update: Activision "Might Have to Stop Supporting Sony"

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Mornelithe said:
I prefer a quality machine that's harder to figure out, versus an easy machine, that melts down on you multiple times. That and Sony's first party's decimate MS (for my tastes anyway).

Morne
Except

A) You don't have infinite time to develop software. I believe DNF has proved this handily
B) You don't have an infinite amount of money. Especially not in this day and age.
C) By this same token, The Jasper architecture of the Xbox 360 has now made the RROD less of a problem, and therefore it is not going to "melt down on you multiple times". Although this does raise the question if any of the 360 dev kits (which are not 100% the same as the console itself, mind you) had this same problem.

In the development business, user-friendliness is a big deal. This is what killed the Atari Jaguar, but at least Sony had the time and money to try and make their dev kits better wheras Atari just crumpled.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
i think that this is a good buisness decision even if it may be a bluff. the economy stinks and cutting expensive developing costs that dont generate substantial returns is a good way to go. if it is a bluff then activision may be hoping to scare sony into cutting developing costs, thus increasing their return as well.

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
I don't think he's being particularly audacious speaking as such.
He's being totally businesslike in his approach- a computer prediction as to Sony's financial future would probably say as much.

Anyways, this is what 3rd-party dev's and gamers have been saying for years...
I believe Sony lost quite a few of its own exclusives for the very same reasons.

APPCRASH said:
It is a rare occasion where you can tell an editor to use the search button.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.120068
Beat by 22 minutes.
Enjoy it while it lasts.

6PrinceofDarkness6

Apr 5, 2009
Original post by CantFakeTheFunk:
Lame, Sony. And here I was looking for you guys to throw the gauntlet. I'm disappointed in you, because this is much less entertaining.
I really, really was looking for a flame war moment. But when I didn't see one, I then thought "But...what if they saw this coming?!"

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
Why would he drop PS3 support, considering how many people already have a PS3? He'd make lots of money by supporting that console, and we all know how much he loves money.

FallenJellyDoughnut

Jun 28, 2009
For once Bobby may be doing something good, I want a PS3 but I can't afford it, so if sony does do a price drop I'll be happy.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
The PS3 has been dying along time now, and finally a well respected company such as Activision and its excellent head Mr Kotick has finally come out and said it plain and simple. I see most of the other Devolpers and publishers follwing his lead giving out similar statements within the next few days and by the end of the year the PS3 will have no games and no fanbase at all. With the massive failure of Home, difficulty to program for and drought of exclusives the PS3 has been going into decline for quite a while now, and this is the fatal blow.

That or nothing will happen at all

RaQin

Jul 6, 2010
Booby Kotick is a loudmouth hotshot who is about to write some checks that Activition can't cash. He is saber-rattling with Sony to give him the access that Microsoft wont give him. If they can't see this then they are as silly as he is (...even Gabe Newell/Valve couldn't resist the PS3 for the duration).

Kotick's decisions in the last year show up with a lot of negatives. This latest spew comes on the heals of 2010Q2 bad decisions with Infinity Ward, and today he is talking about how bad things will be with MS's Kinect and Sony's Move. When he speaks to the public we need to remember that this is the man who out of one side of his mouth says, "Activision remains committed to the Call of Duty franchise..." yet out of the other side say his company never really wanted the most financially successful SINGLE entertainment title ever created. Activation is going to suffer under his repeated foolish decisions; their most lucrative human capital has left the building, and the warchests will slowly dwindle on the heels of the departing talent.

Now consider that he wants access and special treatment, or insists that other companies should take his risks for his profits...In my eyes he is a damned lucky exec, who throws around a lot of crap every quarter or so to see who will bite. And while his latest statements will be in/validated by the press in the next few days, I will go out on a limb and say that his statements are probably just hip-shot-suppositions. It is highly unlikely that a full 60% of XBox Live Gold accounts are there ONLY for or due to MW.

I say this is the CEO most-likely-to-be-replaced in 2011 if not sooner. I think it is ironic that he is asking for access supposedly brought-on by the power of a title that Activition didn't want, and I hope he is replaced before Activition loses more human/creative assets. If you can't produce a quality product for a franchise, the IP is useless (except in a sell-off). The Board needs to fire Kotick before his mouth damages Activition.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Erm, does anyone care that this happened over a year ago?

Seriously, why the thread neocro?

RaQin

Jul 6, 2010
Doug said:

Emm...does this poster realize these are events of the last 24hrs? XD

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
John Funk said:
Lame, Sony. And here I was looking for you guys to throw the gauntlet. I'm disappointed in you, because this is much less entertaining.
At least they took care of it in a civilized manner.Instead of trying to insult them or something other childish.

OT:I really don't care.I own one Activision game on my PS3.And that would be CoD4.And I stopped playing it on my PS when I got it on the PC.
And there are no Acti games that have been announced that I am interested in.

RedBeta22

Aug 28, 2008
Fuck this guy. Why don't they just use some of their CoD money and make their own Console.

RaQin

Jul 6, 2010
BudZer said:
RaQin said:
Doug said:

19 June 2009...6 July 2010. Hours must be a lot longer than they used to be.
Mea Culpa...This is not the link I thought I clicked, and I WAS IN NECRO. There, ya don't see a direct apology like that very often, do ya? ;-)

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
RaQin said:
BudZer said:
RaQin said:
Doug said:

19 June 2009...6 July 2010. Hours must be a lot longer than they used to be.
Mea Culpa...This is not the link I thought I clicked, and I WAS IN NECRO. There, ya don't see a direct apology like that very often, do ya? ;-)
It is, indeedie, a rare species of creature on these forums.

edit: Typo - stupid TV cop shows.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
John Funk said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
APPCRASH said:
It is a rare occasion where you can tell an editor to use the search button.
Actually, no it isn't. Most of the news is copied and pasted.
Excuse me?

A.) Again, as I said above, the News Room is not the forum. We have much better ways of finding interesting news to report than simply waiting for members of our community to find something and "copy and pasting," as you so succinctly put it. As I said above, there are hundreds of thousands of people who visit The Escapist who never once touch the forums. Plus, we have very rigid style and format guidelines, and - no offense to the forumgoers in the first place - we hold the News Room content to a much higher bar of quality.

Do we post a "lol u shoulda used search" every time a thread comes up in Gaming Discussion or Off-Topic that we've already covered? No? Okay then.

B.) Get your facts straight. Activision never once said they wanted to exploit gamers. Their words were (paraphrasing), that they wanted to continue to exploit their licenses and IPs - granted, not the best word choice, but that's a very different thing. And Activision has very little influence over at Blizzard. I mean, I know you want to jump at them in a flurry of fanboy rage for badmouthing your beloved PS3, but at least make sure you have a better grasp on the industry before you do :)
Indigo_Dingo said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
B.) Get your facts straight. Activision never once said they wanted to exploit gamers. Their words were (paraphrasing), that they wanted to continue to exploit their licenses and IPs - granted, not the best word choice, but that's a very different thing. And Activision has very little influence over at Blizzard. I mean, I know you want to jump at them in a flurry of fanboy rage for badmouthing your beloved PS3, but at least make sure you have a better grasp on the industry before you do :)
Do you need to resort to insults?

If you'll note, I've held this same level of hatred for Activision for a full year, ever since the finalization of their merger with Blizzard. And forgive me, but I find it interesting that Blizzard, one of the most fan devoted, quality driven and financially healthy developers the world has ever seen suddenly adopted a style that looks curiously like Activisions.

As for exploiting gamers, I was referring more to the underlying implications of Modern Warfare 2 online (yeas, I know that there is supposedly no subscription, but it remains that this is requiring an extra payment to receive the total service).
Hey, hey. Let's not turn this into a childrens fight. Both of you should just ignore each other. It's sickening to see huge arguments continue just because some people couldn't just ignore each other. If you guys really want to argure, please go do it in messages. Now, back to the topic.

Although I am an Xbox user, it would be a huge turn around for everybody if this happened. PS3 would lose call of duty, guitar hero, the chance to see a Bungie game, and other opportunities. Although the Xbox is a competitor, it would still be affected with the loss of its rival.

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
People are still buying those old consoles?

Oh I must have been too busy running my games in DX11 with my 750MHz graphics card....

^^ Please ignore my trolling...