Update: Apple Bans Saga #12 For Gay Sex Scene

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Unless they are sword fighting with their cocks in this scene apple doesn't have any ground to stand on. They just don't want to risk losing profits when the religious right gets up in arms about it. The funny thing is had they just ignored it well it likely won't of been an issue.

Matey

Jun 25, 2008
no one else noticed the women having sex with each other in image Grey linked? But hey, two women having sex with each other isn't gay at all, so its fine.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Matey said:
no one else noticed the women having sex with each other in image Grey linked? But hey, two women having sex with each other isn't gay at all, so its fine.
My thoughts exactly. At first I was a little confused and thought that was the picture that got it banned. But when I realized otherwise I was like "So THAT gay sex was okay, but the OTHER gay sex isn't?"

Fuck Apple... Their products and inferior and overpriced anyway.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Okay, I'm going to nitpick this; We can't have gay referring to both men & women if lesbian only refers to women. If you say "gay love scene" it had damn better well not have any vaginas in it.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Draconalis said:
Matey said:
My thoughts exactly. At first I was a little confused and thought that was the picture that got it banned. But when I realized otherwise I was like "So THAT gay sex was okay, but the OTHER gay sex isn't?"

I didn't see any women having sex with women in the image Grey linked. From top to bottom it was some horrible centipede mentioned in the original article, a pyramid of naked dudes getting whipped, and two dudes having sex with an obese woman.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Well, that sounds like an interesting thing. Thanks to Apple for pointing me to it with their close-minded ignorance spotlights.

GoodEyeSniper

Sep 9, 2008
Xan Krieger said:
Draconalis said:
Matey said:

I didn't see any women having sex with women in the image Grey linked. From top to bottom it was some horrible centipede mentioned in the original article, a pyramid of naked dudes getting whipped, and two dudes having sex with an obese woman.
They're talking about the picture he linked in the article which pictures winged women performing acts of oral gratification upon one another..

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
So I did a little bit of digging... Apparently the images in question, are on the robots face in these two pages.

Yeah.. compared to what Grey already posted, that's tame as all hell. Also, female on female is fine? But male on male isn't? Homophobia AND sexism, delicious.

On a side note, robot princes? Foul mouthed medic rats? I'm quite tempted to buy this now.

TheProfessor234

Aug 20, 2010
Elate said:
Yeah.. compared to what Grey already posted, that's tame as all hell. Also, female on female is fine? But male on male isn't? Homophobia AND sexism, delicious.
That's the one thing that always gets me. Girl on girl is fine but two dudes banging? THAT'S UNACCEPTABLE IN ANY CASE!

I'm a strait guy but seriously, it's all or none.

My only question now is, why is his face like that? Is it a happy memory floating by while his life is close to ending? Interesting way to show that.

Squiddles

Feb 11, 2013
Well after reading through the first issue of Saga, all I can say is Apple needs to look at itself for a little while and think about what it's done. If "teh gay sex" is what makes them jumpy and want to censor the comic, then... I just... The fuck Apple? XD

That aside thanks for bringing this news to light, the comic so far (well the first issue since it's freeeeeeeeeeee :D) was a great read! ^_^

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
Actually, i can understand Apple here. I figure that they decided that not having this scene in there would get them more money then "standing up" to anything for a comparatively harmless scene which can't be used to be all "progressive".

They don't care about the Gays, they care about the Money of the gays and in that instance, Capitalism struck a blow for tolerance and freedom of Spirit everywhere and everyone. Harhar.
Apple doesn't have a right wing Agenda, although some People will probably believe that this is a try to keep the left wing gay Agenda moving by riling up the left wingers with this "ban" or something.
Some People are quite desperate to find something to be angry about and that includes gays.

Our, or maybe i should say the american political Picture of "right" and "left" leaves quite a lot to be desired. One could say that Apple is being Capitalistic because they don't care about if their Customers are gay or not, they care about getting their Money, which is rather right wing-ish.
Apple is also being "tolerant" and "left wing-ish" because they don't care if their Customers are gay or not...

TL;DR: Apple don't care if you're gay, they care about money and when they remove "gay" content it's because they think they'll make more money that way, not because they hate gay People.
If there's a lot of money to be made by pandering to the gays, they will do so.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
So Apple lets in...

Grey Carter said:
multi-breasted centipede hookers, phallic architecture, evil pedophile aliens.
But the moment some gay love occurs the issue gets thrown out?

Did you also ban ME3 for its 'gay love' as well?

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Xan Krieger said:
Grey Carter said:
Xan Krieger said:
Grey Carter said:
Xan Krieger said:
The big question is this, did they ban it due to gay sex or just due to sex?
I answered that in the third paragraph. Saga is FULL of sex.
You mentioned sexual characters but not two characters...doing it so to speak. Boobs and gore I guess are OK based on what you wrote but the line is drawn at penetration.
The planet is called "Sextillion" What do you think happens there?

Mod edit: Image removed.
*jaw hits the floor*
WTF AM I LOOKING AT?! Now I understand Apple's decision.
Seems pretty tame to me, so clearly my internet rank is higher then yours XD

Adam Jensen said:
I can't condone sexual censorship unless it's something violent and illegal. 18+ rating exists for a reason.
I don't neccisairly see a cause to censor violent sex, as the fact that it can be censored implies it is in a work of fiction (so obviously not illegal). Every action in every story is not condoned by society, in fact most stories are about the actions we condemn and find appalling.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
And people wonder why I say to get an android instead on iphone this kinda stuff from them is the reason.
Ed130 said:
So Apple lets in...

Grey Carter said:

Did the Mass Effect series ever get a mac release?

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
As if I needed another reason to dislike Apple...... Now I can add homophobia to the list.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Darks63 said:
And people wonder why I say to get an android instead on iphone this kinda stuff from them is the reason.
Ed130 said:
So Apple lets in...

Grey Carter said:

Did the Mass Effect series ever get a mac release?
Not at this point, mainly because any gamer on the Mac uses WINE anyway so there is very little point in porting it over to the Mac OS.

But I do wonder about Apple's ban happy nature and its affects on the viability of the MacOS platform as a required port.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
As someone who publishes and sells things through many online vendors, including the very same Apple store, my experience has been that depending on what poorly trained employee you get reviewing your products, your ban/refusal to sell is completely inconsistent.

We've sold some things with explicit content, and other much more tame stuff has gotten rejected out of hand for being explicit because it tackled topics the reviewer didn't like.

One content reviewer rejected half a dozen of our works because there were two authors, and some obscure rule of theirs apparently doesn't allow works with two authors on their store. Though no objection to the double author billing was ever given before or since. (I suspect it was just an excuse to ban a lot of content the reviewer didn't like then either.)

This is what happens when you try to police morality. You get people wielding that power doing so arbitrarily according to their own (sometimes bigoted) whims.

So how about no more of this crap? Give content warnings and then let the consumers decide.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Madman123456 said:
And that attitude gets us where? That's like the argument that game companies can be as bigger dicks as they like, because at the end of the day "They're there to make money.".. Money doesn't excuse shitty business practices, and censoring male on male adult content and not other adult content is downright shitty to the max.

Most of us (I hope) are smart enough to realize they did it for the monies not because they're some evil dictatorship of anti-gay, but that's the problem, it's plain discrimination, because they think they can get more money out of it. It isn't even like allowing it would harm them as a business unlike perhaps a major comic company publishing a gay relationship, this is apple actively censoring male homosexual content. Key word, actively.

Sorry if I misinterpreted what you were saying, but that kind of attitude is what lets companies get away with this kinda shit. "IT'S OK, THEY'RE DOING IT BECAUSE MONEY." is not an excuse.

Airon

Jan 8, 2012
Displaying what content one can expect, at least in a broad sense would be much more helpful than the immature, outdated and opaque "M for mature" rating system. Movies, especially in the USA, are even worse(see the documentary "This film is not yet rated").

Parental controls are already in place, are they not ?

What's the problem with handing those decisions to device owners and letting them filter whatever they really dislike based on content descriptions ?

There's really no reason to keep anything other than illegal stuff out of the store if such user-controlled filters work.