[UPDATE] Dead Island Trailer Buzz Ensures Movie Deal

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
I'll laugh if the game turns out to not be in any way deep or compelling as that trailer makes it out to be.

If it is then cool, it'll be nice to try a game where the central theme isn't "Fuck Yeah, Zombie Apocalypse! Now I can work out my latent sociopathic tendencies without ramifications!"

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Jeeze... can we stop with the negativity here? The trailer was excellent and if they get the same people who worked on it to do a full movie, I think it could be great. Sure, it's soon, but it's not like they're asking them to do a feature film by this summer or anything. And besides, the company already had rights to it. It's just gaining a lot of attention and I think that this is nothing but good news. I'm sick of all the cynicism, here. It was a good short film and now talented people are being offered money to do what I would assume they love and are finally getting recognition. Is it that hard to just be happy for these guys for just a little bit?

Sugarman101

Jan 8, 2011
I don't think it's premature to start on a movie based on a trailer alone. In fact, this is probably the perfect time. Hollywood has shown us again and again that when they try to adapt the story of a game to a movie it always ends up as a mess. With this however; they have a moving short film that they can build on that will appeal to horror fans as well as gaming fans.

In the end the movie will be similar to the game in name only, but that's exactly what might save it from being a bad film.

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
Video games don't need legitimisation through film and vice versa.

At least we'll get some kewl girl-on-bloke gore though.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
beema said:
please... no more zombies... please
I'm bored to tears with zombies
when's the zombie teen romance movie series coming out already?
Let's just beat them back into the ground, right?

I thought the game trailer was good considering it was for a Zombie game, but that's the extent of the matter. The premise of a zombie situation with actual gravitas is nice, but by no means that refreshing to me because it's still "zombies, oh goodness."

I cannot speak for the game or the movie before either is completed[footnote]Hey, I may actually find the game that much more interesting once some tangible evidence of it not being another trite zombie game emerges.[/footnote], but there is nothing to say about the game off of a trailer that is meant to sell a product, no matter how good or bad. The movie loses any potential in my eyes as another zombie movie at its core, and the vacation setting leads me to believe that it could just as easily be a zombie equivalent to "Pirhana 3D" with bikinis coating the screen before the blood hits the ground. Either way, I would find it somewhat humorous if those who critiqued films like Avatar for being too cliche to hop aboard this one like it's fresh meat. ;) I suppose with my subjective zombie bias and Hollywood bias, I just can't imagine much being done compared to the video game.

But whatever. Apparently the masses are having a nonstop thrill-ride love affair with zombies, making them zombie zombies, if you will, so let them eat pie. Meat pie.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
Yeah the trailer was nice and all but what are they going to make out of it? Another zombie survival movie? Yeah I can see how that sounded like a revolutionary idea at the time...

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
That is the creepiest, most horrifying, disturbing, frightening, and moving teaser for a game I have seen in a while.
Tom Goldman said:
It seems a little early for studios to climb over each other to get to these movie rights when all we've seen is a teaser, but I know its effect will make me pay attention to a Dead Island film. The teaser is one of the most moving works of zombie media I've ever seen, so if a movie can recapture that feeling I'm all for it. If not, it's easily ignored.
Since when have studios cared about what a game is really about when making a movie about it?

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
GiantRaven said:
This whole sudden Dead Island craze isn't going to end well, I can just sense it...
I've got a bad feeling about this...

it's very rare for a game to live up to it's trailer, and to be honest, there isn't much you can do with zombies that hasn't been done before. I can't see this being anything more than a Left for Dead clone, maybe with a few more cutscenes.

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
Nouw said:
This is far too soon but with this type of infected apocalypse it has a good place to start with.

beema said:
please... no more zombies... please
I'm bored to tears with zombies
when's the zombie teen romance movie series coming out already?
Holy shit don't tell them man!
[sub]Never thought of that >.>[/sub]

LavaLampBamboo said:
Nope, I'm a 20 year old student. I just feel that the trailer doesn't have constantly reinforce the fact they are a happy family. I get it, sometimes bad shit happens to undeserving people but I don't need to see the girl die then kill her parents. It's just unnecessary.
I'm betting that they were tired of the zombie apocalypse being a trigger-happy time with your friends killing infected douchebags.

I have a feeling they did this to add the side of the apocalypse we rarely see.

Exactly, The real side of the apocalypse. ya know, the one were there isn't Francis and bill carrying auto shotguns mowing down crowds of zombies. Dead Rising 2 sorta tried too show the sadder side of the apocalypse, but that could easily be ignored when you realized you could attach a machine gun too a teddy bear and make a Rambo-bear.

my point is, this game shows a side of the apocalypse we rarely see. and it should be congratulated for doing it. weather or not the movie will be any good, well, that remains too be seen.

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
God those graphics look insane. Just because a trailer is good doesn't mean they should already start making a movie.(Not like it'll be any good anyways)

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
i can't wait for the inevitable generic Zombie film, but set at a beach resort. Imagine that trailer, but a movie. Unless the whole thing is filmed in backwards slow motion then it's just "A family goes to a beach resort, and there are zombies there". Though I'll wait for the game first. Maybe it'll have a good story.

Kegsen

Feb 20, 2011
So, it goes from "ensures movie deal" to "under negotiations", takes a sharp left at "rights sold" via "rights not sold" and parks at "probably will happen". Right, well with that out of the way I`m (not really) anxious to see if the movie will be based on the teaser, the game or if the studio that ends up making a film actually just buys the title of the game just for quick cash in on easily fooled gamers. As others have noted, it might just as well be Memento...but with zo(mg)bies! Hardly worth waiting for.

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
It really feels like I've missed something regarding this trailer. Am I a sociopath or something or is everyone else just get a little too excited about this one teaser trailer?

Kegsen

Feb 20, 2011
SilverHammerMan said:
It really feels like I've missed something regarding this trailer. Am I a sociopath or something or is everyone else just get a little too excited about this one teaser trailer?
As far as trailers go, it`s undoubtedly better than average. But the hype is starting to get ridicolu...oh who am I kidding..I`ll never be able to write that word properly..TOO MUCH HYPE! There we go :)
A fair few have said: Good trailer, now let`s see some gameplay footage, and to be a nice little interwebz-user....what they said.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
Eh, the zombies don't sparkle and have unrealistic angst yet so I am down for more. I'm also a parent and feel the need to say that I am pleased they went the way they did. I felt very attached the girl and felt very attached to the parents as I felt a connection immediately. My wife wasn't pleased as she can't tolerate horror but she shouldn't have peeked over my shoulder.

Sooo, I liked the trailer. It disturbed the hell out of me and I am interested in this game. Hopefully they don't suck the awesome out of it with a bland movie.