[UPDATE] Dead Island Trailer Buzz Ensures Movie Deal

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Am I the only person who doesn't get the hype this thing is getting all of a sudden? People seem to be going crazy over a vaguely artsy cgi cutscene of a game that until now nobody ever even heard of about zombies (because nobody ever did a story about zombies before right??!), that doesn't even show what kind of game it's supposed to be. The trailer wasn't even that impressive.

Seriously what is the big deal with this?

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Wow. I mean, the teaser was fun and all, very emotional, well-done, and a great way to show "shit has gone bad", as one needs to for a zombie game, but still, a movie out of it? Won't that be stretching it out a bit?

Though, I'll probably still go see it, if it's made.

The Hairminator

How about no?
Mar 17, 2009
Hopefully this zombie movie will be something along the lines of 28 Days Later (and after watching the trailer it may be closer than I could have hoped), which in my opinion is the definite top of the genre.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
What the fuck? It's just a trailer for a zombie game. What's the big deal?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
beema said:
please... no more zombies... please
I'm bored to tears with zombies
when's the zombie teen romance movie series coming out already?
Zeelight? Next summer.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Doclector said:
Wait just a minute folks...I wouldn't be so quick to judge this one.

It's not as if they're lining up to do a cheap action flick based on an already popular licence. And hell, while videogames are a little zombie-crowded (but hey, ain't crowding things what they do best?) films aren't really. Aside from the tv series the walking dead, and some straight to DVD releases (some good, most terrible) there hasn't been a decent zombie film in quite some time, with the only current films being the questionable but harmless resident evil series, and the fantastic rec series, which has two more films in the pipeline.

It seems to me that they just saw this as a good concept and wanted to get started on it nice and early. This may be because the trailer showed great understanding of how zombie films, and horror films, scare people.

Spoilered for length, but please read if you have the time.

For one thing, the main characters being a family unit. If there's one thing more disturbing than strangers being ripped to shreds by walking corpses, and then having to kill them again when they get back up or be killed by them, it's having someone you know, especially a family such as the unfortunate daughter which raised so much (mostly ill-thought out, if you ask me) controversy. Remember; it ain't the first time, and if it really disturbed you so much, good. That's what it's aiming for, like all great art, to provoke an emotional response and if more games did it, we'd be a step closer to gaming being recognised as the art form it is, and can be.

The locale is genius when you think about it. For one thing, the isolation. What are you gonna do, swim like hell and hope you're headed for another island? The sunny visuals and a location that would be built to be a "happy place" provide unsettling juxtaposition between the locale and the occurences, and a great departure from the run down cities and crumbling mansions popular to the sub genre.

But that's obvious. The true genius lies in the reasoning behind coming there. People who go to a holiday resort are not asking for trouble. They are not going to an undiscovered island the locals warned them against, nor the creepy mansion the crazy old man warned against, or the underground caves where people have gone missing that common sense warned against. They are going there for a holiday. They are going there to simply have fun. There probabally werent any warning signs, not enough to make your average person cancel their holiday plans over anyway, and now they are dying. The best horror movies/games never warn their protagonists where their perfectly innocent decisions are going to lead. They just let them make their own ultimately fatal but nigh on unavoidable mistakes.

This is also made clear with the zombies themselves. The trailer shows what makes zombies scary obviously, such as being hard to kill, and their carnivarous and merciless MO, but also that all of these people also never asked for this. People in tropical shirts, a woman in a bikini, and a bellhop who probabally just wanted to make a damn living in a sunny place. All of them, also victims of a mistake they never could of known they made before it was too late.

Basically, this is a simple, but brilliant premise, and I can't blame film companies for wanting to pick it up ASAP. Sure it could be terrible, it could be a cash in, but I'm going to give this one a chance.
Good reading there. I liked the trailer quite a lot, I haven't seen anything like it before, at least for zombie media. I agree with you that the game has a lot of potential to either be a great game, or simply to suck.

To be honest, I like the premise and the concept of the game, but the trolling cynic in me tells me that this game could work better as an expansion for Dead Rising, instead of being it's very own game.

I'm still looking forward to this game, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
at first I was like "...all this from one trailer?" but then I saw the possible Momento style and that made me think a bit. it could happen?

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
Makes sense. The trailer would work well for an upcoming zombie movie.
But as a game trailer, it fails. Hard.

Ridley the Violator

Nov 11, 2009
Oh wow, I can't wait to see what they do with such an original concept. No wonder they had to snap it up so quick--the idea of...ZOMBIES is so full of potential that I'm surprised thousands of shitty movies haven't already been made about the subject.

the muffin man

Feb 20, 2011
Honestly while I thought the trailer was amazing, if it is just as Dragon age's trailers were. Showing some story with known characters, but is unrelated to the bigger picture, the game will be more like Dead Rising.

As for the movie, all that happened was people saw a possible emotional story that a film audience just craves for

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
"Oh my god, more zombies, how unoriginal and boring"
"New Resident Evil game is coming out and will have zombies."
"Oh MY GOD! We get zombies again, hurray!"
Fickle gaming audience we have, don't we?
Have to wait and see how this turns out. Sure many games right now have "zombies" in it, but it is more action/adventure than survival horror. yeah, like Left 4 dead with their near limitless ammo and "running" zombies is horror over action. If this is more of a pure survival horror like Early Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Clock Tower,..I could go on and on..I would VERY much look forward to this game.

alik44

Sep 11, 2010
im starting to get tired of zombie games now. lets move on to the next fad in gamming.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
this isnt my name said:
This wont work, the only reason the trailer got so much atention was controversy. A movie can have controversy but still be bad see human centerpede as an example.
What controversy? It got so many views for being a really good little zombie fiction vignette. Beautifully rendered and strangely for something with so little exposition dramatically gripping. The reveal that it was their little girl just drove it all home. A movie probably has a better chance of capturing the same feel as the trailer anyways.

alik44 said:
im starting to get tired of zombie games now. lets move on to the next fad in gamming.
I wish I knew what that was. I hope it's a wave of artistically gratifying yet still non-pretentious games. I have my doubts however.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
has a tab open on Die2Nite whilst reading World War Z all the while looking through the seperate tab he has on Steam for Zombie games.

What have you all got against zombies?

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
first popular tv shows, then popular plush toys, then tv ad campaigns, and now video game previews are being made into movies.

its official, hollywood no longer has ANY ideas of its own left.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Uuuuuugggggggghhhhhh. Stuff shouldn't be rewarded for being popular, stuff should be rewarded for being good. It's not even bloody finished yet!

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Fronzel said:
Bah, they're just scuttling like bottom-feeders to a new zombie story.
beema said:
please... no more zombies... please
I'm bored to tears with zombies
when's the zombie teen romance movie series coming out already?
GiantRaven said:
This whole sudden Dead Island craze isn't going to end well, I can just sense it...
THESE

Especially the second one.

But to add my own thoughts to this, I'm hoping this will do two things.

1: Help videogames to be taken more seriously as a medium for telling stories. You've got to admit, that trailer was pretty compelling. It's nice to see Hollywood scrabbling around the heels of the games industry when looking for content, rather than the other way around.

2: Finally make everyone sick of zombie "stuff". I was sick of zombies LONG before the most recent zombie revival (puns are awesome).

Final Thought: You know what we need? A zombie movie where the zombies aren't murderous, ravenous monsters, but mindless servitors who submit to their master's will. You know, like what you think of when you call someone a "zombie" in real life?

...but I guess movie audiences wouldn't be interested in seeing a film about themselves. ZING!

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
THEJORRRG said:
Uuuuuugggggggghhhhhh. Stuff shouldn't be rewarded for being popular, stuff should be rewarded for being good. It's not even bloody finished yet!
I have a theory about this.

Only a small segment of the population cares whether or not movies/games/TV shows/etc are going to be good. If people took the time to experience every piece of content they saw a trailer for, they'd have no lives. People just like the advertising that's churned out for these things, and they like the feeling of anticipation they get thinking that something is going to be awesome.

Ever hear someone say that the trailers are the best part of going to the theaters? Exactly.

Another example: Did you ever go to a theater that was showing the trailer for M. Night Shayamalan's DEVIL, and everybody thought the trailer looked awesome until M. Night's name showed up. Then they all started groaning and booing. That broke the illusion for them, and it's a very unpleasant feeling.

I imagine that Michael Bay's name is going to start generating the same kinds of reactions pretty soon.

Also, think of that fake Zelda movie trailer. It may have looked pretty awful, but there was a lot of excitement about it. Until, of course, it became clear that the trailer was fake. It's like the placebo effect, mixed with Schrodinger's cat. The movie you saw a really good trailer for will continue to be awesome until you actually see it. Then, at best, it will become less awesome.

This probably isn't true, but I almost wonder if we put up with endless streams of bad movies just so we can get the momentary high of a really good sequence of preview trailers.