Update: Fan "Fixes" Mass Effect 3 Ending With A 539-Page Rewrite

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
chstens said:
I've followed Mass Effect since the beginning, and consider myself a huge fan of the franchise, and I just found the original ending underwhelming at worst. It wasn't good, but it's not even close to as bad as the majority claims. So does that mean I'm just better at managing my expectations than most of the vocal Internet?
In my opinion the bioware dev team, or at least the big guys in the dev team, are entirely to blame for the bad reception of the ending.
Mass Effect 2's Ending was awesome in so many ways, but i was fully expecting a bit of dissappointment out of the ending, simply because it's really really hard to end giant stories like this satisfactory for everyone.
But the developers just kept and kept shouting in every single interview they gave about the game how the endings will be awesome, how there will be no A, B or C ending, how nearly every person will get a somehow different ending and so on and so on.

If they wouldn't have kept lying to us about the ending people wouldn't have been so upset. You know, because people generally don't like being blatantly lied to.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Starke said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
This might win me over and get me back to buy BW games again.
Don't. Seriously, don't buy games from a company that claims they have fantastic writing and then turn out crap like that.

Hell, some of the stuff in TOR is so much worse.
Well I only do single player and I only do games that are fun to me and or you can mod and or good but most of all must be cheap....broke down and bought the DA:O ultimate for 7$ this Christmas >> I would like to play DA 2 but god it sucks I won't touch the new controls and gameplay with a ten foot pole... they just should have released the SDK so the community could fix it.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Zira said:
I wasn't disappointed with the ending of Mass Effect 3.
I was disappointed with the entire series!

Anyway, I don't like people like that guy. Just because he has so much free time on his hands, he feels the need to indirectly tell industry professionals that he can do their job better? Then how come he DOESN'T have their job, mh?
Because there's a difference between vocation and avocation, basically. Being able to do something you enjoy well doesn't make it a viable career path.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Agent 45 said:
The few analyses that I've read that defend the ending seem to make a lot of mistakes as to why ME3's ending is bad. For one thing, they assume that people found it too dark and wanted a happy ending. Some people are fine with a dark ending, some are not, but that's not what matters. It's bad because of a ton of other reasons, which many people have made those lenghty videos about. I highly recommend MrBtongue's videos in this regard. Second, those articles that defend the ending also state that many people are upset over the lack of choice and consequence, while the final choice results in massive consequences. In the original ending, one could not have possibly understood what kind of effects the choices would have, the mechanics behind those consequences (how does synthesis even happen, for example) and so on.
You know, I watched these videos, for example those of MrBtongue. And while watching I found myself agreeing with many of his points. Not all, but many. But the thing is, when I watched/read some defenses, I found myself agreeing with a lot of the points as well. Then there are some criticisms that I think are really just personal preferences which not everyone shares (like how much info you want on how exactly endings work and what the exact consequences are). Then there are also some criticisms that I think are just weird/wrong ("no closure" for example). At the end of the day it comes down to your personal preferences, to how you weight the pros and cons, to what matters most to you.

And on balance I value the achievements much more than the shortcomings, with some of what others considered as shortcomings not being shortcomings for me at all. If someone feels different, that's fine. But if someone insinuates that I can only have this opinion because I am ignorant/a fanboy/don't understand storytelling/etc, well, I won't just take it. And many people do insinuate exactly that, whether intentionally or by accident.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
chstens said:
Legion said:
I have noticed a strong correlation between those who followed Mass Effect games as they launched and hated the ending, and those who got into it later and didn't mind it.

I strongly suspect that a lot of the dislike comes from the hype and exaggerations/falsehoods that Bioware used in it's marketing. If people didn't have such high expectations, I suspect the ending would have been written off as just another series a developer didn't know how to end.

The fact that Bioware repeatedly stated that choices would significantly impact the ending, that the game wouldn't simply have an A,B or C ending and that it'd answer all questions is what upset a lot of people.

Regardless of whether or not somebody liked the ending, nobody can truthfully say that it fit in with what Bioware promised it would be like.
I've followed Mass Effect since the beginning, and consider myself a huge fan of the franchise, and I just found the original ending underwhelming at worst. It wasn't good, but it's not even close to as bad as the majority claims. So does that mean I'm just better at managing my expectations than most of the vocal Internet?
No, it just means you have an imagination and don't need everything spelled out for you.

jdarksun

Nov 3, 2003
bibblles said:
Anachronism said:
It's been almost two years. Can't we just let it go? ME3's ending was significantly less rubbish than BioShock's or Arkham Asylum's, and people weren't still crying about those two years after the fact.

For the record, I didn't hate the ending. It could have been better, certainly, but it wasn't bad enough to justify the backlash. Video game endings tend not to be that great anyway, and ME3's was no worse than most.
I have a sneaking suspicion that the continued interest/complaining about the ending is less and less about how unpleasant the actual ending was... rather I'm starting to think it has more to do with people just not wanting such a great trilogy to end.
That's a significant part of it.

The other part is: how do you make a successful ending to a game that meant different things to just about everybody who played it? 97.whatever percent of ME3 was awesome.

Well, I mean, the answer is ME3:Citadel. Pure win, that DLC.

Mar 9, 2012
I think, if anything, that one of the central problems with the ending is that the overarching story of the series, beside the main plot (stop the Reapers) has all these different running subplots, like humanity finding its place in the galaxy, the Geth and the Qurians, the Krogans and the Genophage, but the ending decides to ignore of all these, save one, and even fails on some levels to deal in a functional way with the main plot. The overarching theme that is to be taken away from the main plot and all the subplots this seems to be "intergenerational conflicts", something which is even reflected on a somewhat minor and more personal levels in some of the different Squad Members' personal stories and even in a few side-quests.

There is basically a whole spectrum of stories that are different reflections on the theme of "intergenerational conflicts", but the kicker is, that the last 10 minutes isn't about this spectrum, and doesn't seem to care about or even want to be about the spectrum. No, the last 10 minutes suddenly decides that it, and retroactively the whole series, is (or rather should be) about this very specific subset of "intergenerational conflicts", which is "synthetics vs. organics", and seemingly just it can throw around some high-faluting, pseudo-profound ambiguity about the singularity.

The only content in the series that seems to fit this idea of "synthetics vs. organics" as is presented in the last 10 minutes, would appear to be the Geth and the Qurian subplot, but the player has at this point already resolved this plotline some hours ago, yet here it the question is blatantly regurgitated by the Catalyst (albeit in a somewhat altered form), without any acknowledgement of how the player answered it earlier, and what the player has been shown about the motivations of the Geth, doesn't fit the way the "synthetics vs. organics" story as it is presented by the Catalyst.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Saulkar said:
No, I simply did not know how to respond, simple as that. I have watched several defending the ending and plot and they did not make as much sense to me as those criticising it. Maybe I am just not as good at mentally juggling two different positions this complex or I simply did not watch the right videos. Can you embed yours?
I'm sorry, but it has been some time already, I don't remember the exact sources anymore.

I don't know about you personally, of course, but it's certainly true that many gamers have problems with liking something while being critical of certain aspects at the same time, or vice versa, to loosely quote Anita Sarkeesian. It's either all or nothing. And that's sad, not very mature, and makes all these discussions so infinitely more annoying.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Pr0 said:
Vargras said:
It's been almost two years since ME3 released, and people are still complaining about the ending.

Seriously?
Actually the inverse thing to consider here is that its been almost two years since ME3 released and people are still having to be told how good the ending supposedly was, and/or be told "dude its been almost two years, you should let it go."

I'm afraid that either way....its crap.
I think what's funnier is that "letting it go" seems to be "forgetting that it ever happened"

Magnus Greel

Jan 4, 2014
Huh, slightly off topic, but I was expecting this place to be full of those sneering "lol u stipid virgin assburger ****** get a lief" shit for brains whose presence seems to be mandatory for any discussion about ME3 fan outrage nowadays in some kind of bizarre hipster-reverse of the general (angry) consensus in 2012. I was pleasantly surprised.

But seriously, those people still need to die in a fucking fire.

WWWLUCIFERCOM

Jan 18, 2013
Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in. Its been almost two years why cant we let this topic die already?

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Grenge Di Origin said:
CloudAtlas said:
A big story like Mass Effect should end on a bang, it should leave you with a "wow", it should leave you with something to think about. And the best way to crush any such feelings is to add hours of epilogue describing what happens afterwards to each and every minor character. None of this matters to the story, and just shows the aforementioned lack of restraint.
Well, someone here liked End of Evangelion and hated FMA: Brotherhood. How about that.
I don't know any of these animes so I can't really say anything about them. That said, I wouldn't really regard animes as paragons of good storytelling, however you want to define it, in any case.

In general terms, there will always be people who value indulgence over anything else in a story, at the expense of things such as pacing, drama, or economy. But that doesn't mean that a story will be better for giving intot his indulgence too much. And what is telling what happened to every single character for hours on end after the actual ending, the actual dramatic climax, other than indulgence?

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Mcoffey said:
The ending of Mass Effect 3 was absolute dog-shit. We all know this. But it's been two years guys. Time to pull the plug, rip off the band aid and move on to other things. Have you tried The Last of Us? It's better than Mass Effect in just about every conceivable fashion. It's not an RPG, but really, neither was Mass Effect.
Now if this ain't a differentiated opinion... Yea yea and, unlike with Mass Effect, there's absolutely no one who doesn't believe that The Last of Us isn't thatawesome, right? Don't make me laugh.

May 29, 2011
So it's fan fiction.

This one guy wrote fan fiction.

Do you think this was the only person to rewrite the ME3 ending? Really? It's not even the most extensive.

I'm confused as to why this is news.

Multi-Hobbyist

Oct 26, 2009
I can not laugh any harder at this guy. Talk about obsessive, and over a fan-fic no less. He's a prime example of why I'm ashamed to say I write occasional fan-fics. But, god damn if he doesn't have determination and willpower. Those, can take him places. His laughing stock of a fic, not so much.

Aug 19, 2010
ME3's ending was fixed already. It's called the extended cut, and it's perfect.

This guy just beat a dead horse through 539 pages. I admire his dedication, but it could be better spent

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Can people please stop talking about the Mass Effect 3 ending here? I could've sworn everybody moved past this shit a month ago. It's kinda ridiculous.

Josh Engen said:
The length is a testament to his self-discipline and lack of respect for BioWare's original script.
He still had more respect for the series than Bioware, though. *rimshot*

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
The OG ending made me angry, the last 10 minutes ruining what had been up the whole charge sovereign part, a damn good 9/10 game, and grinding it into dust, nm when you considered the pr blitz about mass effect, the ending did not match up with the bullshit they peddled for it at all.

7/10 because of the ending 5/10 if i start thinking about the spin.