Update: Fez Dev Tells Media Member To Kill Himself

TornadoADV

Cobra King
Apr 10, 2009
Person acts like a human being under constant duress, internet proceeds to gut him for it. Ironic.

SuperfastJellyfish

Jan 1, 2012
mronoc said:
Given the sheer amount of shit I see tossed at Phil Fish on the internet on a constant basis, this outburst is wholly understandable. Childish and irrational to be sure, but also understandable.
You're like the only person who's talked about this subject that isn't dumb, gratz man. But yeah, everyone acts like a total mouth breathing idiot to Phil all the time and he can't take the stress. Sorry you're a piece of shit, internet.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Gilhelmi said:
I know people will say "but the Dev was being an a**h***". And I will say,

"If you BEAT your dog, do not be surprised when it Bites you. If you constantly abuse a man verbally, do not be surprised when he curses you out."

I swear, some peoples children.
If he just cursed him out, that's OK. What's stupid is how childishly he acted about all this. If he wants to throw some abuse back, whatever. But to cancel development and not even think to just pass it on to someone else? Wow. Not to mention how much of a disservice this was to the other devs who wanted to keep working on Fez 2 but nevermind that. His feelings got hurt.

Code: I'll just pack my things and go!
Code: Fine!

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Riobux said:
MammothBlade said:
You don't, but what about other people? I don't enjoy or like it personally, but it's a loss for those who do.
To be blunt: Why would I care about what other people's opinions on video games are? Sure I do have a curiosity and I do enjoy discussing them, but I don't see why I would care enough about Fish or others who like him to mourn his loss from the video game industry as though I was a fan. It's a loss to them, but I don't see why it's a loss to me.
By that logic, if you don't give a toss about this guy or the games he's peddling, then why are you posting in a forum thread about him at all? Waste of time that could be spent playing games you enjoy.

Or perhaps you want a reason to care?

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
MammothBlade said:
Riobux said:
MammothBlade said:
You don't, but what about other people? I don't enjoy or like it personally, but it's a loss for those who do.
To be blunt: Why would I care about what other people's opinions on video games are? Sure I do have a curiosity and I do enjoy discussing them, but I don't see why I would care enough about Fish or others who like him to mourn his loss from the video game industry as though I was a fan. It's a loss to them, but I don't see why it's a loss to me.
By that logic, if you don't give a toss about this guy or the games he's peddling, then why are you posting in a forum thread about him at all? Waste of time that could be spent playing games you enjoy.

Using the logic I have curiousity and do enjoy discussing about computer game news, why am I posting here?

You seem able to answer that.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Riobux said:
MammothBlade said:
Riobux said:
MammothBlade said:

Using the logic I have curiousity and do enjoy discussing about computer game news, why am I posting here?

You're curious, yet you started out proclaiming that this was no loss to the games industry. That doesn't make any sense.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
MammothBlade said:
Riobux said:
MammothBlade said:
Riobux said:
MammothBlade said:

You're curious, yet you started out proclaiming that this was no loss to the games industry. That doesn't make any sense.
I never said it was no loss to the game industry. I'm starting to get the impression you're reading too heavily into what you want to believe. I'm not as sinister as you're making me out to be. However, I'll go into more depth:

I'm assuming you see caring and apathy a similar way I do? That caring about things is not an on-and-off switch. It's a percentage scale. 100% you're infatuated to the point of swooning at every opportunity to discuss, praise and sometimes worship the game. 0%, you just couldn't care less. It's a chore to even listen about the news, let alone talk of it.

With this in mind, my level of care is low about John Fish. It was enough that I had no problem with saying "And nothing of value was lost" and reading a few comments, but not enough to expand (which I get the feeling, considering the feedback, I probably should of) nor to care about what brought him to that point. My level of care about discussing and sharing ideas in a polite and orderly fashion however is somewhere between 50% to 75%. I have been known in the past (although, I promise, not in this case) to say overtly offensive or outlandish things just to drag a conversation out of someone. However, how much I care is enough that I've posted about 10-12 times to this topic (including, not to blow my own trumpet too much, a really interesting conversation about personal values being attached to events and people, and how they differ to person to person, which I'll admit is very relevant to what you're asking but I hate repeating myself). I am happy to explain myself, mostly so I can discuss with others mine and their ideas so we may each learn from each other.

This is why I posted. To discuss. I hope you can relate.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Akalabeth said:
And none of that matters.
I can merrily go with 'artist' and be done with it quickly.

I love(d) Braid (we're not interacting much lately) and I really like Fez, even though it was pretty broken last time I played it.

See, much as you dismiss the points I've made, I am inclined to take your opinion and draw a smiley face on it - because, and that's what really matters, and the both of us seem to agree on, is that none of that matters or should matter. The invasive nature of Twatter, Fakebook and all the other nice-to-have must-have commodities have twisted us way more than TV, rock music or an abundance of sexual intercourse all whipped into one. The vast majority of us is an unnatural selection of uppity twats, intolerable gits and plain old wankers, even though the vast majority of us would want to disagree and, without much pondering or reflection, go straight for the throat.

I am simple, at times. I want more Beer. I want more Blow. I currently find myself not wanting anything Fish. I do hope he comes back to games or finds another artistic outlet. But I also do hope he finds a way to deal with fucking people and fucking life itself, as he's plain not the Salinger type. He needs help, he needs guidance, he needs coping mechanism to keep himself in check. But that is none of my business. I don't want to care about that until I have to or can do something about it. Fish ain't mine, and there's plenty more wacky fish in the sea swimming and skipping and skidding out of control all around me, much closer than that guy that made one fun game and doesn't get along with people all over mah interwebz.

Oh: I am eagerly awaiting The Enders Games movie, as, if I was to care about the personal lives and views and opinions of a lot of actors, directors, writers or other creative folks, I would find it extremely hard to enjoy the art they produce.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
Well to be fair Marcus Beer is one of the biggest assholes around. Biased for the sake of being "edgy" (a douche). Yeah this is childish but really who cares? He told Beer to go kill himself, legally its wrong but I doubt there was any REAL malice intent, people use that insult all the time it was melodramatic at best. And comparing his whining to Adam Orth is just fucking unfair I mean seriously that must have been a poorly thought out fucking joke. The real question is why Fish gave any amount of shits over what Marcus fuckin Beer had to say. Ridiculous on both sides.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Headdrivehardscrew said:
Akalabeth said:
And none of that matters.
I can merrily go with 'artist' and be done with it quickly.

I love(d) Braid (we're not interacting much lately) and I really like Fez, even though it was pretty broken last time I played it.

See, much as you dismiss the points I've made, I am inclined to take your opinion and draw a smiley face on it - because, and that's what really matters, and the both of us seem to agree on, is that none of that matters or should matter. The invasive nature of Twatter, Fakebook and all the other nice-to-have must-have commodities have twisted us way more than TV, rock music or an abundance of sexual intercourse all whipped into one. The vast majority of us is an unnatural selection of uppity twats, intolerable gits and plain old wankers, even though the vast majority of us would want to disagree and, without much pondering or reflection, go straight for the throat.

I am simple, at times. I want more Beer. I want more Blow. I currently find myself not wanting anything Fish. I do hope he comes back to games or finds another artistic outlet. But I also do hope he finds a way to deal with fucking people and fucking life itself, as he's plain not the Salinger type. He needs help, he needs guidance, he needs coping mechanism to keep himself in check. But that is none of my business. I don't want to care about that until I have to or can do something about it. Fish ain't mine, and there's plenty more wacky fish in the sea swimming and skipping and skidding out of control all around me, much closer than that guy that made one fun game and doesn't get along with people all over mah interwebz.

Oh: I am eagerly awaiting The Enders Games movie, as, if I was to care about the personal lives and views and opinions of a lot of actors, directors, writers or other creative folks, I would find it extremely hard to enjoy the art they produce.
I just have to say, the first few sentences of your third paragraph are hilarious out of context. I think many people want more beer and blow in their lives, and less fish :p

OT: Dude's a dick, it's not rocket science to understand why people wouldn't want to give him money. I might play his game if it was given to me or something, but the way he slings insults he's managed to offend pretty much every gamer but the kind of hipster that thinks arty platformers are the best thing since Piss Christ.

Granted, I probably wouldn't play much of his game even if it were free, but that's because I really, truly despise "art games." They tend to use the "art" as a crutch and severely lack in actual gameplay.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
Huh. I never even knew Fez II was in development...

Don't have strong feelings about Phil Fish either way, but he kind of worries me. Sounds like he might need medical help (I mean that in an entirely non-offensive way; I have depression and am a big supporter of drugs and therapy). Maybe getting out of games for the while is the best thing for him.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
On one hand, I sympathize with Fish, I probably wouldn't be able to handle being in his situation, either... On the other hand... dang, he is a bit of whiner, isn't he?

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
Steven Bogos, I think you should go look at Jim's video on the subject. I think you personally could learn some things about the situation. Also your editorializing is tiresome to read. If your going to do news, do news. Your opinion on what position is correct in a given development isn't necessary.

ConanThe3rd

Jul 3, 2012
Part of me wonders of the alternative universe where Fish simply said, "We acknowledge this has happened but have nothing to say at the moment but we will get back to you as soon as all the facts are in place?"

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
MB202 said:
On one hand, I sympathize with Fish, I probably wouldn't be able to handle being in his situation, either... On the other hand... dang, he is a bit of whiner, isn't he?
As I have said before... he went for the "douchebag personality" role consciously and willingly, and then later decided that he didn't want it after all. It's fine and well to put yourself into the public view with a certain persona, but then complaining that a persona meant to offend *gasp* actually offends people is weak.

And if he didn't intend to build that persona, the man is exceptionally naive and unprofessional.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
wasn't a fan of Fez anyway :/

it's unfortunate but I'm seeing a similar mindset in some other Indie Devs too. I can understand that as a small company (or even one-man) you end up taking up near 100% of the abuse where big companies can just spread it out lol...oh well. wonder what Team Meat's been up to since the Movie haha