Update: Metal Gear Solid V Reveal Trailer Gets Surreal

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Update: Metal Gear Solid V Reveal Trailer Gets Surreal

If you were expecting something straightforward, you've got the wrong series.

Hideo Kojima took the stage at the 2013 Game Developers Conference to talk about Konami's new FOX engine, though you wouldn't have recognized him. With his entire face wrapped in protective bandages, he was indistinguishable from the mysterious character we saw in the trailer for The Phantom Pain - a game that had always looked suspiciously Metal Gear-like. As it turns out, the collective hunches of the internet were right - Kojima hit the play button on an action-packed trailer for none other than Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

We had a few pieces for this particular puzzle already. The trailer included previously seen footage from trailers for Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121002-The-Phantom-Pain-Revealed-at-Video-Game-Awards], but now we have a more complete picture. That's not to say we have any idea what's going on. We see Snake regaining consciousness in a hospital after a nine-year coma. At some point everything goes to hell, since we've seen plenty of Phantom Pain footage depicting an injured Snake escaping from some kind of raid on the hospital. Sometime after the escape, when Snake has recovered from his condition, the game shifts from this linear storyline and the world opens up for tactical free-roaming action.

There are plenty of new sights to see in the new trailer, which is the first piece of media to officially acknowledge Metal Gear Solid V's existence. A slew of characters who look pretty important show up, but knowing the importance of cloning and deception in this series, it's not very helpful to speculate based on appearances (but for the record, that totally looks like Ocelot rescuing Snake on the horse). There are some serious supernatural elements as well - we see another clip of the giant demon-whale eating a helicopter, as well as some horseback combat against a flaming figure riding a fiery, nightmarish unicorn. As for how any of this fits into the game's plot, your guess is as good as mine. We have a couple hints, at least: quoth the video, "From FOX, Two Phantoms were Born." Snake also has a brief line of dialogue referencing a group called the Diamond Dogs, which apparently is his "new home." And somebody named V is awake. Have fun putting that together.

It's worth noting that, yes, the trailer is very pretty - after all, it was debuted in a panel on the power of the FOX engine. We still don't know what the exact relation is between Metal Gear Solid V, Ground Zeroes, and The Phantom Pain, or if they're even separate products at all, but Kojima just let the biggest cat out of the bag so we'll probably be getting more details soon.

UPDATE: Kojima has taken to Twitter to clarify how all these titles fit together. "Ground Zeroes is a prologue of MGSV," he explains. "9 years after that event will be The Phantom Pain." The actual product of Metal Gear Solid V will cover both of these stories, not unlike how Metal Gear Solid 2 started with the prologue on the Tanker before switching to the main story.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/metal-gear-solid-v-is-official-fox-vs-xof-update-t-461177345?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow]

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
It's looks interesting to say the least but I'm a little confused. Are MGS: Ground Zeros and phantom pain separate games or is it just the one game? I am never going to understand the story.

Fordo

Oct 17, 2007
Well, now I need a fresh pair of pants.

*changes pants*

This looks AMAZING!

Lucky Godzilla

Oct 31, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
Ouch, Snake's new VA...

Also, British flag in the hospital? What's that about?
Well in MGS4 Big Boss did sound notably different than Snake, so it had to happen.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I'm excited as all hell for this, but also rather disappointed that it looks like David Hayter is no longer going to be voicing Snake.

[Tweet t=https://twitter.com/DavidBHayter/status/317002108115234816]

I mean, the guy was Snake. But it seems, after Ubi also dropped Ironside as Sam Fisher and IO/Square nearly did the same to David Bateson as Agent 47, it seems game publishers don't want distinctive voices any more and every protagonist - or at least male protagonist - shall sound the same. Voiced by Nolan North.

Kazedarkwind

Inner Working Reviewer
Nov 18, 2009
Seriously? i thought anyone with two brain cells could see that was Solid snake in the Phantom pain trailer. Hell i did and i never even played a MGS game >_>

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
The fuck did I just watch? That wasn't so much a teaser trailer as it was an acid dream that takes place in a hospital.

I mean, I guess it was kinda cool. But it showed nothing about the game, other than a few prerendered cinematics. Which were impressive.

More power to you if this was your thing, but I think this franchise is running its course. Its almost impenetrable to newcomers. It seems to me like this is a series people watch to be confused

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Ouch, Snake's new VA...

Something to do with Major Zero perhaps?

He was definitely British, so it could be something to do with the whole bit between him and Big Boss.

Also Kojima just tweeted [http://www.twitlonger.com/show/ldp1im]

""Ground Zeroes" is a prologue of "MGSV". 9 years after that event will be "The Phantom Pain". MGSV is constructed w/ prologue and main game "TPP". The game play demo I presented today is the opening of "TPP" which is tutorial that starts from crawling."

So I believe it's one game then.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
"Well, I had no idea The Phantom Pain had anything to do with MGS5."

Said nobody ever.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Andy Shandy said:
I'm excited as all hell for this, but also rather disappointed that it looks like David Hayter is no longer going to be voicing Snake.

[Tweet t=https://twitter.com/DavidBHayter/status/317002108115234816]

I mean, the guy was Snake. But it seems, after Ubi also dropped Ironside as Sam Fisher and IO/Square nearly did the same to David Bateson as Agent 47, it seems game publishers don't want distinctive voices any more and every protagonist - or at least male protagonist - shall sound the same. Voiced by Nolan North.
How sad... David Hayer was the only one to do the whole "I've smoked enough cigerattes both of my lungs have imploded" kind of voice right. You are right, male protagonist voices are way too similar nowadays. Wheres all the different accents? You either have generic white American voice or generic black American voice.

OT: So I'm pretty sure Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes was also part of this elaborate ruse, and that is actually MGS5. Kojima sure knows how to make a good trailer though, that choice of music was bloody amazing.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Ouch, Snake's new VA...

Missing hand, British flags, member of Fox...

...maybe it's Liquid?

Would be quite cool if he suddenly wasn't as dead as believed (and very Metal Gear). Kind of no surprise that it's MGS5 though, seeing as 'not Psycho Mantis' appeared in the debut. Speaking of which, that's another thing that could tie it to Liquid if Mr Mantis is present.

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
A few random thoughts that popped into my head while watching this:
1. "This doctor kind of looks like Ben Kingsley."
2. "I really like this song."
3. "Snake/Big Boss, whichever one it is looks...strange, somehow."
4. "Oh look, a massive flaming snake monster and horrible Flaming Horse of the Apocalypse. Huh."
5. "This song is pretty great."
6. "I will probably buy this game, as I will probably do with every future Metal Gear, regardless of quality, because I am just that kind of fan."
7. "I really liked that song."

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
Able Seacat said:
It's looks interesting to say the least but I'm a little confused. Are MGS: Ground Zeros and phantom pain separate games or is it just the one game? I am never going to understand the story.
It's one game.

But I think it will probably be split into 2 parts.

Remember Half-life 2 and portal in one box...but imagine portal being the epilogue to half-life

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
Rogue 09 said:
Not to get nitpicky, but I just need to verify... this is Big Boss in this trailer right? What with the eye patch and all? And the two phantoms would then be Solid and Liquid Snake... Right?

EDIT: And Diamond Dogs is a precursor to Outer Heaven?
Yeah and I'm pretty sure the guy riding the horse is Revolver Ocelot. Than the copter pilot was the guy from the MGS PSP game in Central America. And other things that make sense... KOJIMA!!

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
Lucky Godzilla said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Ouch, Snake's new VA...

Well in MGS4 Big Boss did sound notably different than Snake, so it had to happen.
That was because Big Boss and Solid Snake had the same VA, so having them talk to each other would´ve been pretty awkward. I think he´ll have David Hayter as his VA again.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Well that was pretty awesome, even if I have no real clue about what's going on but that's normal in MGS. Definitely looking forward to seeing more.
For some reason, Big Boss (I'm assuming it's him)looked kind of weird. I'm not sure what it is, maybe it's the new engine but it's not too bad. However, the voice actor change, now that's something I don't like.
Also, the music is sweet and that's definitely Ocelot on that horse.

Edit: Here's some more, including gameplay footage. Although, mostly just talk about the engine it seems.
http://www.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=the-core-of-mgs-ground-zeroes-20130327