Update: Metal Gear Solid V Reveal Trailer Gets Surreal

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
Proverbial Jon said:
Hmm, intriguing trailer. Shame it made as much sense as:
If you played peace walker and watched the ground zeroes video then the trailer rather easy to understand.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
Wonder why the hospital had a german doctor with a fairly noticable British flag in the background

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
I'm kinda baffled at all the people/MG fans who didn't get the trailer.

Kojima came out a while back and said that Ground Zeroes is the prologue to the game, while the Phantom Pain will be the actual game, set 9 years after the events of Ground Zeroes, which is why good ol revolver Ocelot is seen rescuing BB (on. friking. horse... might I add thats pretty stylish).

Big Boss in a coma for 9 years... what was done to his body in those 9 years while he was sleeping?... Oh wait? Didn't Zero want him cloned?.... Two phantoms were born...
BINGO!
The Les Enfants Terribles Project.

Clever move Kojima, clever move.
Now... explain to me why there is a Fire Unicorn and giant whale eating a heli... cause I have no clue.

OT: Trailer looks great, enough has been said.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
i should just e-mail my credit card info and password to Kojima-san so he can just take my money whenever he wants to sell me something. Trailer looks amazing!

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Kojima has just revealed this ain't rock and roll...This is genocide!

Uber Waddles said:
The fuck did I just watch? That wasn't so much a teaser trailer as it was an acid dream that takes place in a hospital.
In fact, the internet seems to largely be ignoring the possibility of a "dream state." Maybe it's just because I don't give a crap about Kojima and therefore don't know something glaringly obvious, but a lot of the "supernatural" elements seem easily explained by some sort of wild dream, forced or otherwise, as the result of the coma. The Fox vs XOF imagery could also fit in, because dream states are often treated as having mirror-like qualities.
I don't discount it at all. However, I'm confused. Wasn't Snake supposed to have a bad case of the dead? How did he get his life extended by 9 years? Is that Snake, or a clone, or his evil brother Blake?

I'm not a fan of trailers like this. Prerendered aside, they have a music overlay to block critical material. It doesn't tell us anything other than "Hey, new MGS. Its still bat shit crazy. This time with Horsemen of the apocolypse."

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Welp, definitely looking forward to it. Unfortunate about Hayter though. Many will be desperately upset, myself included. The game ought to be fun all the same though.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
crepesack said:
Can someone explain to me how this fits into the mgs timeline? I'm so confused.
I think it's:

MGS3 > MGS Portable Ops > MGS Peace Walker > MGS Ground Zeroes > MGS The Phantom Pain > MGS Outer Heaven(?)

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
J Tyran said:
How can anyone take Snake seriously now? A dude with a rifle creeping about hiding and struggling to fight off a squad of soldiers if spotted cannot compare to Metal Gear Rising.

If one cyborg ninja can destroy platoons of troops and single handedly chop apart 50ft high battlemechs with ease how can one dude with a rifle ever be of use in that universe? Especially if he is the main Protagonist, Kojima raised the bar too high. Now Snake seems lame and underpowered now.
Well considering that this set a few decades or so before Metal Gear Rising things won't be as ridiculously powerful.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
I'm very much looking forward to this, more Big Boss is always a good thing in my eyes... Also lol at the people that're complaining about "Snake's" new voice at the end of the trailer, as that was very obviously Miller talking. If David Hayter isn't going to be voicing BB Richard Doyle will be, and he did a perfectly acceptable job of it in MGS4. Nothing to worry about in that department folks.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
anthony87 said:
J Tyran said:
How can anyone take Snake seriously now? A dude with a rifle creeping about hiding and struggling to fight off a squad of soldiers if spotted cannot compare to Metal Gear Rising.

If one cyborg ninja can destroy platoons of troops and single handedly chop apart 50ft high battlemechs with ease how can one dude with a rifle ever be of use in that universe? Especially if he is the main Protagonist, Kojima raised the bar too high. Now Snake seems lame and underpowered now.
Well considering that this set a few decades or so before Metal Gear Rising things won't be as ridiculously powerful.
Fair enough then, if its in the timeline before the events in MG:R there wont be any invincible super ninjas. I just think MG:R set the bar to high as to what we could expect out of the characters, not calling it out as a game in its own right either. It seems a fairly good game.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Mother Base NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

In other news, I really hope you're kind of the villain in this game. We all know Big Boss has to get there sometime and he seemed to be very well down that path at the end of Peace Walker.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
Pray tell, was that a full four seconds of gameplay displayed in that video game trailer?

Kojima, you sly dog, you're learning.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
J Tyran said:

That wasn't Snake. That was Big Boss. This takes place well before the events of MGR.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Dr Pussymagnet said:
AxelxGabriel said:
OH I get it! The "coma" referred to in the trailer is the same Coma Big Boss was in when they took the DNA from him to make the Les Enfant Terrible.
Not to get nitpicky, but the project that created Solid and Liquid happened before even Peace Walker. This coma is something new entirely.

OT: I pretty much lost my shit when I watched this live. Kojima really knows how to make a trailer.

And i'm pretty fucking stoked for more Big Boss.
Well, it could possibly be a retcon. Solid and liquid were born in 1972 and MGS:pW happens in 1974. Since the events in Ground Zero happen 10 days after PW its safe to assume that it too happens in 1974. Having the birth dates changed by two years would not be such a bad thing. Also, I don't think PW ever mentioned Big Boss ending up in a Coma.

Proverbial Jon said:
Hmm, intriguing trailer. Shame it made as much sense as:
If you are referring to the all the weird figures we keep on seeing it is possible that they are hallucinations or the result of some dream state. This makes sense considering that two of the mysterious figures share a strong resemblance to The Boss and Volgain.

Also, I believe Phantom Pain is a medical term used describe painful experiences related to an organ or limb that a patient no longer has. Based on this, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say that Big Boss is sensing things that are not really there.

Ian Contreras

Apr 28, 2010
I hope I can help you Escapees understand the story that is happening here:

This is prequel to Metal Gear Solid 4, like Metal Gear Solid 3 was a prequel to Metal Gear Solid 2.

The guy next to Snake in the hospital bed is Master Miller, aka Kaz Miller from Peace Walker. (Master Miller was Solid Snake's mentor.)

This is not Solid Snake. This is Big Boss. Solid Snake was cloned from Big Boss in the Les Enfants Terribles project, when Big Boss was in a COMA.

1:30 - Big Boss and Miller's offshore plant is being attacked. You spent a great deal of Peace Walker building it to house soldiers and the construction of Metal Gear Zeke.

2:08 - Dr. Kio Marv was the scientist of Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, for MSX, who invented OILEX.

2:11 - Big Boss raises his hook arm. White peddles hover above him. These peddles represent the white leaves where he fought his mentor in Metal Gear Solid 3, The Boss, and killed her. Obviously, this is a hallucination. The arm may not be, however.

2:15 - Tutorial.

2:28 - Volgin, the head boss of Metal Gear Solid 3, is dead. This is also a hallucination, brought on, probably, by...

2:53 - Young Psycho Mantis. Mantis was in MGS1 for PS1, which took place in the year 2005. The Phantom Pain takes place in the 1970's, or 1980's. Psycho Mantis is able to control people's minds and have them hallucinate. In The Twin Snakes for GameCube, Psycho Mantis made Solid Snake have hallucinations that he was on fire.

3:00 - Probably a young-er Revolver Ocelot, although he is mighty old compared to Big Boss. Ocelot met Big Boss in Metal Gear Solid 3. Ocelot was around 19 years old, at the time. Big Boss was around his 40's.

3:04 - A giant whale, eating a chopper. Hallucination. Obviously, this game will be a drug trip.

3:14 - Drugs. The horse is supposed to resemble The Boss's horse from Metal Gear Solid 3.

4:45 - Been in a coma for 9 years. His sons have already been cloned from him. David, aka "Solid Snake" could be that little boy in the prison, at the beginning of the Ground Zeroes trailer. I'm still not buying that it's Chico. Don't believe Hideo Kojima after his recent trolls. The kid looks identical to a young Snake, and the music even rifts when the camera focuses on him. Why would music rift on Chico, a side character?

5:20 - I interpreted this as someone else saying it, not Big Boss. I don't believe Hayter has been replaced. He would only be replaced if Solid Snake and Big Boss were introduced as adults in this game, much like Big Boss was voiced by Richard Doyle, in Metal Gear Solid 4, but David Hayter as a much younger Big Boss in Metal Gear Solid 3.

I'm done. I'm a fanboy. Please don't believe me, this is just speculation and gut-feeling after playing through Kojima's games countless times, to the point where I think I know everything.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Ian Contreras said:
I hope I can help you Escapees understand the story that is happening here:
Very nice explanation, although there a couple things I'd like to point out

Ian Contreras said:
This is not Solid Snake. This is Big Boss. Solid Snake was cloned from Big Boss in the Les Enfants Terribles project, when Big Boss was in a COMA.
Ian Contreras said:
4:45 - Been in a coma for 9 years. His sons have already been cloned from him. David, aka "Solid Snake" could be that little boy in the prison, at the beginning of the Ground Zeroes trailer. I'm still not buying that it's Chico. Don't believe Hideo Kojima after his recent trolls. The kid looks identical to a young Snake, and the music even rifts when the camera focuses on him. Why would music rift on Chico, a side character?
First off Solid and Liquid were born in 1972 and the coma that Big Boss falls into in the trailer happens, most likely, in 1974. Now it is possible that this a retcon, but quite honestly I don't think a two year difference is a big deal.

Second, I'm pretty sure that kid is Chico. Kojima announced that the Ground Zero trailer is the prologue to Phantom Pain, so that kid can't be Solid Snake if the coma we see Big Boss go into is the one that leads to the Les Enfants project. Also, the kid seems to be concerned about the prisoner that XOF is holding, who is most likely Paz. This makes sense, because Chico has a crush on Paz. Its possible he learned of Paz being fished out of the ocean, went looking for her, and got himself captured.

Another interesting thing is that in the Ground Zero trailer its implied the boy made some kind of deal with the commander of XOF. In the trailer the commander says, "How does it feel to play the traitor." This could all be a call back to Peace Walker; when Big Boss rescued Chico he told Big Boss that he gave up info on his rebel allies because he was afraid of being tortured.

On a related note, what recent trolls made by Kojima are you referring to?

Edit: I'll admit, the way the music rifts on the boy is kind of strange, but I still highly doubt it could be Solid Snake due to Ground Zero's placement in the timeline.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
J Tyran said:

A heavily upgraded Cyborg Ninja that by technicality isn't one anymore and is set years after the main series but eh.

Snake(Solid or Naked) is still a one man infiltration unit. One having taken out the Cobras, The Boss, three Metal Gears, One pseudo Metal Gear, several Metal Gearish mechs, a Tigrex, Rathalos and Gear Rex, and is considered the greatest soldier of all time.
The other, having taken out four(technically five or six) Metal Gears, Foxhound, Big Boss and his team, Gray Fox twice over, Liquid, The Beauty and Beast corps, and a few others I can't mention due to spoilers or are bouncing around canon.

Honestly, Jack still hasn't got shit on either of them, doubly since they have no enhancements whatsoever that would be considered beyond human.

Also noting that, albeit in a bullshit fashion, Solidus took out a(partial) Cyborg Ninja, then proceeded to utterly destroy three RAYS, with only his P90 and suit.

And Raiden took him out. Kind of still keeps the scale all over the place.

It's like saying REX makes the Shagohod or Peace Walker seem like a non-threat, which still isn't really the case, doubly because of course REX would be "better", he's got far more recent tech making him up.