[UPDATE] Microsoft Devastates Autistic Child By Labeling Him a Cheater

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
I mean, parents these days - just... parents these days. They think that if their kids frowns or cries for one microsecond that something must be wrong in the world.

For pete's sake: LIVING IN THE WORLD DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO NEVER BE UNHAPPY. BEING UNHAPPY AT TIMES IS NORMAL. NO ONE IS EVER HAPPY ALL THE TIME. PART OF GROWING UP IS LEARNING TO DEAL WITH UNHAPPINESS. YES. NEWS FLASH: THE WORLD IS NOT FAIR. GET OVER IT.

EDIT: And this applies to kids with autism. If this kid can use an Xbox and talk to the Media, I'll make the assumption that he doesn't have an extremely severe case of Autism. He might have a moderate or mild case of Autism, but since he gave a comment, he's clearly capable of communication (unlike some severe autism sufferers). He will live in this world and deal with the laws of this world. Granted, as he has a disability, some of the rules should be relaxed when applied to him. He should be given more opportunities to find jobs, he should be given more government assistance, he should be given more educational attention and in general, he should be allowed to live with his condition as best he can.

But he will live in the REAL world. We all do. Given that he can communicate and play games, he's probably going to want to interact with the larger society. And he will be hurt by others. It happens to EVERYONE. Society hurts people from time to time, it's PART. OF. LIFE, whether or NOT you are Autistic. Dealing with disappointment, consequences and social interactions and corporations is a PART of life, and it's going to be a part of this kid's life. If he can't handle his Xbox achievements being removed, if he can't handle THAT, then... how is he going to possibly deal with the real world and all the jerks in it? He'll be freaking massacred if he goes outside. The real world is cruel. I would know, I've been in it, and not even the really nasty parts of the world at that.

He needs to learn to get over something as MINOR as this, and it really is minor. No one lost their life. No one lost any property that was worth ANY monetary value. And I understand that those with autism might invest their emotions into some.... different things than others would. But even if he values these Xbox achievements as an integral part of his life, we all lose things that are integral to our lives at some point.

The kid's upset. Yes. My sympathies go out to him. But "devastated"? No. If he is, he is sorely unequipped to deal with the world that he WILL be a part of. There are meaner people in this world than Microsoft, and they'll try to do worse things to you than take away achievement points.

I strongly suspect this kid has been raised by a "wear-a-crash-helmet, seal-off-all-sharp-corners-with-foam" type Mum. That never does a child any good. I would know, I was raised by such a mother, and it screwed me the hell up.

lokiduck

Jun 5, 2010
Lol I saw the exact same news when it was shown on Q13 because I live in Washington.

I have to say, from what I heard of the article, that Jackson gave his information to another player who got him some armour, it is pretty much their fault. You don't just give your information to someone even if it's just an account.

Grimlock Fett

Apr 14, 2010
Rules are rules! Just because someone has a condition of some sort doesn't mean they should be allowed to break them! Its says that MS confirmed he has illegitimately increased his gamer score! Now I don't really care about gamer scores and how many achievements someone else has but If someone cares enough to increase that by a means other than actually completing them whats to stop them from cheating "in game" and ruining my experience? Because at the end of the day I'm there for my own enjoyment!

Off topic should a clearly easily upset autistic boy really be on XBL? Its not the friendliest place.....

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
Here's the problem. I doubt this is the only false-positive Microsoft had. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't they the same company who brick consoles remotely if they are suspected to be pirates. At least they aren't bricking this kids console. But still, this is really stupid.

ProGrasTiNation

Jul 5, 2009
HentMas said:
ProGrasTiNation said:
HentMas said:
ProGrasTiNation said:
I personlay hate achievements/trophies as they give nothing rewarding really
ok, wait,

first you state that the kid should have never bein taken from his "single player" achievements no matter what

and then you state that you hate achievements/trophies and they do more harm than good

then what do you think the people that DO care about such things would think?? that its "OK" to cheat for something they worked hard to get?

its an awfull double standard you are putting up there pal, does him being autistic puts him in a higher place where he doesnt have to follow the rules everyone else does?? i dont think so

MS wants his customers happy, if you dont care about achievements then good for you!!, but there are people who actually DO care about gamerscore, and they work really hard, for days on end to get them, then why does some kid, regardless of "illness" or whatever should be allowed to cheat his way up in the score the others worked so hard to get??

what would you think if you were playing... i dont know, BASEBALL for all your life, and a guy comes and beats you in every single way, and then you discover he was using steroids???

my guess?? you would be pissed, you would yell UNFAIR! and go to the autorities to sort things out

same concept
Didnt read past what you wanted to see ehh,singleplayer achievements/trophies effect nowone but the person who unlocked them,if he cheated online then i see wrong,if he didnt then who did he harm?
Im sorry i dont play rounders.lol or care about lossing any game on any console as its A GAME!
& iv had this view longer than M$ showed they cared about peoples achievements,as long as you aint cheating online you harm nowone,& if you need to cheat to earn an achievements/trophy then go right ahead because the only real loser is the person who cares about a another persons score!
P.S. why take things out of context,bad habit people with no views take
SO, you disregard everything i said because you feel its too much to read?

fine

let me simplify it for YOU!

HE IS CHEATIN ONLINE BECAUSE GAMESCORE IS POSTED IN THE LEADERBOARDS THAT SOME PEOPLE CARE ABOUT

and caring about that "number" is not wrong, or makes someone a loser!!, he is just playing the game in a different way that you do, and if you dont care about it, again GOOD FOR YOU, but there are people who do, and just because you think they are "losers" it doesnt mean its "right" to cheat them out of their enjoyment

P.S. when did i took things out of context?? i was just trying to make you understand that its not wrong to care about an arbitrary number, and how exactly do you know if i got out of context when you didnt even read everything i wrote???? that baffles me!
Im sorry you dont have the foresight to see what im saying...did he cheat online??maybe!If he has cheater now labeled on his name then thats enough to tell people he didnt earn them legaly...i read your post & saw straight away that you took one line on my post & used it against my views...why take away all his acheivments when he did actualy earn them(even if that was done by cheating)M$ or $ony shouldnt have the power to reach in to your house & take what you have unlocked but i agree that lableing him a cheater for everyone to see is perfectly alright..Remeber when gaming was fun & you could use that max replay card to have fun with a game once you were done with it...seperate online achievements from the Online side & leave who ever want s to cheat,cheat...who are you to say they cant!its their game.As long as he aint cheating online,,whos he really hurting...& no hes not hurting the achievments of other because hes labeled cheater...

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
ProGrasTiNation said:
HentMas said:
ProGrasTiNation said:
HentMas said:
ProGrasTiNation said:
I personlay hate achievements/trophies as they give nothing rewarding really
ok, wait,

first you state that the kid should have never bein taken from his "single player" achievements no matter what

and then you state that you hate achievements/trophies and they do more harm than good

then what do you think the people that DO care about such things would think?? that its "OK" to cheat for something they worked hard to get?

its an awfull double standard you are putting up there pal, does him being autistic puts him in a higher place where he doesnt have to follow the rules everyone else does?? i dont think so

MS wants his customers happy, if you dont care about achievements then good for you!!, but there are people who actually DO care about gamerscore, and they work really hard, for days on end to get them, then why does some kid, regardless of "illness" or whatever should be allowed to cheat his way up in the score the others worked so hard to get??

what would you think if you were playing... i dont know, BASEBALL for all your life, and a guy comes and beats you in every single way, and then you discover he was using steroids???

my guess?? you would be pissed, you would yell UNFAIR! and go to the autorities to sort things out

same concept
Didnt read past what you wanted to see ehh,singleplayer achievements/trophies effect nowone but the person who unlocked them,if he cheated online then i see wrong,if he didnt then who did he harm?
Im sorry i dont play rounders.lol or care about lossing any game on any console as its A GAME!
& iv had this view longer than M$ showed they cared about peoples achievements,as long as you aint cheating online you harm nowone,& if you need to cheat to earn an achievements/trophy then go right ahead because the only real loser is the person who cares about a another persons score!
P.S. why take things out of context,bad habit people with no views take
SO, you disregard everything i said because you feel its too much to read?

fine

let me simplify it for YOU!

HE IS CHEATIN ONLINE BECAUSE GAMESCORE IS POSTED IN THE LEADERBOARDS THAT SOME PEOPLE CARE ABOUT

and caring about that "number" is not wrong, or makes someone a loser!!, he is just playing the game in a different way that you do, and if you dont care about it, again GOOD FOR YOU, but there are people who do, and just because you think they are "losers" it doesnt mean its "right" to cheat them out of their enjoyment

P.S. when did i took things out of context?? i was just trying to make you understand that its not wrong to care about an arbitrary number, and how exactly do you know if i got out of context when you didnt even read everything i wrote???? that baffles me!
Im sorry you dont have the foresight to see what im saying...did he cheat online??maybe!If he has cheater now labeled on his name then thats enough to tell people he didnt earn them legaly...i read your post & saw straight away that you took one line on my post & used it against my views...why take away all his acheivments when he did actualy earn them(even if that was done by cheating)M$ or $ony shouldnt have the power to reach in to your house & take what you have unlocked but i agree that lableing him a cheater for everyone to see is perfectly alright..Remeber when gaming was fun & you could use that max replay card to have fun with a game once you were done with it...seperate online achievements from the Online side & leave who ever want s to cheat,cheat...who are you to say they cant!its their game.As long as he aint cheating online,,whos he really hurting...& no hes not hurting the achievments of other because hes labeled cheater...
OK! so what you are saying that the "gamescore" that you win outside of online competition, those useless little points you win when you make something in a game, in the single player experience, should not count to the leaderboards of the ones that are for online cooperative or competitive play?

mmm... thats actually a neat idea

that way people would stop buying or renting single player games that are easy just to buff the gamescore and it would be more about actuall skill online

but well, now i would agree that "Micro$oft" would never want that to happen haha

and well, seing that Halo has severall of his achievements in the "multiplayer" part of the game i would say, yes, he did cheat online.

yay! i agree with something you said!!!