UPDATE: Microsoft Disallows Public Lesbians on Xbox Live

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Jumplion said:
AceDiamond said:
Condesning
Okay, seriously, every time you specifically quote me is never says your username. It's creepy! All it says is "
" and that it's! It's creeping me out man!

But at least you admitted some fault. I won't say that people shouldn't put up their sexual preference in their bios, but I will say it's probably a stupid idea.
It's my opinion they shouldn't because it's a stupid idea...well not exactly. It's stupid because people as a whole are stupid, and the anonymity provided by the internet makes them act in ways you'd never act to someone's face, that's why you'd get problems, and really I feel that it makes more sense to just not make it an issue by saying "hey guys, don't mention your orientation." I know that sounds Draconian but it's more just to get past a lot of headaches just because of Human Nature and the Internet.

sabotstarr

Sep 4, 2008
let them play, if they display their own sexual orientation and little kids see it, guess what, they should NOT be playing those games.

Arionis

Oct 19, 2008
This. It's just plain fucking stupid.

I feel ashamed to be on XBOX LIVE if that's how the people who run it treat people.

All in all, this is bullshit.

It's in her "About Me" section....how is it offensive if she simply tells who she is?

The damn cunts that followed her saying "We don't want this shown to our kids" and trying to turn her in all need to have dry ice shoved up their asses.

hippo24

Apr 29, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
Are you sure about that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Androgen_insensitivity_syndrome
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersexed
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_Recognition_Act_2004
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changing_legal_gender_assignment_in_Canada

And if you turn off a person's sex drive with chemical castration, they'll still have a preference when it comes to romantic relationships.

But it's not references to "sexual activity" that are banned. It's references to "sex" that are banned while I see nothing that bans references to "romance"
-Your flashing legal terms when Im clearly speaking on a technical level
And a person who has a disorder where mutation takes place on the orientation of the chromosome they are technically not male or female.

-Maybe but not with sexual.

- the sex as explained in the conditions refers to sexual activity not the specification of gender.
It is described as anything pertaining to a "sexual nature" a term that would encompass this scenario.

As for definitions take your pick there all damning:
1. Of, relating to, involving, or characteristic of sex, sexuality, the sexes, or the sex organs and their functions.
2. Implying or symbolizing erotic desires or activity.
3. Relating to, produced by, or involving reproduction characterized by the union of male and female gametes: sexual reproduction.

None of the definitions clearly state only gender as a definition.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Radelaide said:
Logan Frederick said:
UPDATE: Xbox Live policy director Stephen Toulouse responded to the Consumerist story via Twitter [http://twitter.com/Stepto?page=3] (via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/02/26/microsoft-finally-looking-to-stop-gay-bannings-on-live/]), "Expression of any sexual orientation (straight or gay or otherswise (sic)) is not allowed in gamertags. However we've heard from the user base they want that capability, so I am examining how we can provide it in a way that wont get misused. I can't say any more at the moment, except to say I'm working right now in finding a way to safely express relationship preference."
I'm sorry, what? You're not allowed to be proud of your sexual orientation because some XBL arseholes don't like it? Fucking hell. I hate the world sometimes...

It's blatant discrimination on Microsoft's behalf.
It's not discrimination when it applies to everyone. And given the treatment this person got, it's easy to see why. Take off the rose-tinted glasses for a second.

Also put on whichever pair of glasses it is that makes you understand what the word "discrimination" means.
I always hear Xbox Live players screaming about doing women, declaring their overt manliness (totally assured, I guess), or otherwise openly expressing their heterosexuality during games. I never hear of these guys getting banned. It's a partial case on Microsoft's part. They chose to discriminate against one harmless lesbian over every single person who's open about their sexuality, which ends up with a lot more straights than gays, because homosexuality stands out. Our culture, as it stands, is infested with heterosexual leanings. The vast majority just don't notice it.

Anyways, I had gave up on humanity at around the time the Vandals sacked Rome, so I'm relegated to just living it like it is, in a world full of people blind to one side (that's not implicate you, of course).

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
Xiado said:
oh, btw, saying fag is okay to call someone is wrong: Fag is about as offensive as the n-word to some gays, so keep your ignorant trap shut.
No. It isn't. You R-Tard.

Just.

/facepalm

I'm out.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Isn't it ironic that even during online games, some people say racist and sexual epithets and not got banned, yet the moment someone puts it in their profile, they immediately get banned?

Way to keep things balanced, shitheads.

Rajin Cajun

Sep 12, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
Rajin Cajun said:
I support Microsoft. Stomp down the minorities before they try and steal the power. STOMP THEM DOWN I SAY!
Keep your trampling fetish out of my forum! I'm offended! I need to report everyone now! ;-P
Requires additional pylons. :p

Railgun88

Dec 27, 2008
Baby Tea said:
MaxFan said:
When playing a game, this is simply not something I need to know. And why would you put that out there in a community you (should) know is filled with people who are going to give you trouble for it? I know not everyone on the service is like that, but there are enough of them.
That's not even the point! It may not be something you 'need to know', but it certainly isn't something someone should be penalized for! IT was just in her 'bio' part of her profile! She wasn't running around yelling 'Any other dikes in this room?'. That's not shoving it in people's faces.

And the fact that people were following her around? Give me those gamer tags and I'll file some complaints about 'offensive conduct'. Absolutely disgusting way to treat someone. There is no excuse for this type of behavior. Microsoft better do the right thing and fix this somehow.
First off, I agree you should and she could easily win a lawsuit.
Secondly, This is why I don't support Microsoft in anyway thats why I make my own computers and install Ubuntu. Anything that says Windows, or Microsoft I avoid cause they're all assholes.

EDIT: In other words I don't support them in anyway I won't even get a 360 and I never got an Xbox either.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
dragonburner said:
We may have a black president but I don't see a gay one for a while. Some people really suck. Prejudice bastards...
Umm who cares if the next president is gay? Seriously that is not like it is any of our business to begin with. Just like her being a lesbian is none of our business. Barak can't hide the fact he is black and even that shouldn't matter. Just like in this discussion it doesn't matter as long as he can do the job. Same applies to her.

Railgun88

Dec 27, 2008
squid5580 said:
dragonburner said:
We may have a black president but I don't see a gay one for a while. Some people really suck. Prejudice bastards...
Umm who cares if the next president is gay? Seriously that is not like it is any of our business to begin with. Just like her being a lesbian is none of our business. Barak can't hide the fact he is black and even that shouldn't matter. Just like in this discussion it doesn't matter as long as he can do the job. Same applies to her.
Agreed.

BLOONINJA 503

Sep 20, 2008
this has happened before people get banned for no other reason than stupid. people with brain get mad, but soon forget... then things go as if it never happened.

get used to it.

EDIT: holy shitte, this thread has been hijacked to prez barack???

see what I mean??? already out of mind.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
A lot of people seem to be missing the point or not understanding how Live works.

She was suspended because she mentioned content of a sexual nature, which violates the Terms of Use she agreed to.

Why is this against the terms of use? It's because Live has to be an environment which is suitable for all ages (I'm ignoring the issue of chat, as this aspect of on-line interaction is beyond Microsoft's control).

Unless set to private, people's profiles can be viewed by anyone via the dashboard, therefore it's not a case of "children shouldn't be playing a M rated game" as children can read people's profile from the dashboard, which aren't affected by any Parental Controls used on their system.

The simple fact of the matter is, nobody, no matter how much the feel they are being oppressed, has the right to dictate when, how and at what age other peoples children learn about sexuality, especially the more complicated details of homosexuality.

It's not about freedom of speech or freedom of expression, it's about the freedom to let your child play video games in a sexually neutral environment and enjoy the innocence and blissful ignorance of childhood.

Hence all content of a sexual nature is not allowed in very public, unrestricted profiles as clearly stated in the Terms of Use which everyone on Live has agreed to.