UPDATE: Microsoft Disallows Public Lesbians on Xbox Live

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I side with the lesbians. Finally I can think with my penis AND take the moral high ground! this is revolutionary!

CancerDog

Aug 3, 2008
Having even the most basic experience with XBL, she should have known that people would tear her apart.. its the internet. Discrimination, which its not even really clear if it happened, shouldn't enter into it. This is a Microsoft owned and operated service which, if you break a rule you agreed not to when initally agreeing to the terms of service, you should be punished.

Also, we do not live in a perfect world, so if she would not like to be discriminated against for being a lesbian, she should either keep it to herself, or rethink her choices. Sure we can say "ooh its wrong, and that's discrimination" but at the end of the day that's not going to affect the millions of other people in this world. They are going to discriminate against her everyday of the week whether or not its against the law. That's reality. Its harsh, and I may come off sounding like a d-bag, but that is the reality of the situation.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
VanityGirl said:
Ahem, this kind of thing (the rape thing) has been discussed in another thread. Actually, regardless of what a woman is wearing, she can still be raped. In Muslim countries, women decked out from head to toe are still raped. It's not a matter of revealing skin all the time, I'm beginning to wonder why people think that. Women who are walking home from work in full business outfits (like dress pants, dress jacket) are raped in America as well as slutty girls.
This is absolutely true, but not particularly relevant to my analogy.

VanityGirl said:
While it would be WRONG to harass a person for what they wear, whether it be slutty clothes or gay pride on their shoulders, the person should know before hand what they're getting themselves into. I also made a comment on that above, but just in case, I'll restate it.
My XBL name is VanityGirl, I sometimes get perverted and douchebag messages, that's fine. Butttt.... has I put in my bio, "I'm straight", I would have been harassed 10 fold. The more you reveal about yourself to strangers, the more things they will have to say against you.
This is also true. But people have the right to decide to take that chance, and they have the right to complain about the harassment.

Xan Krieger said:
The situation is really simple. She broke a rule and she got punished. Where's the problem?
the problem is that the rule itself is pointless and discriminatory.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
cobra_ky said:
Well, even though arguing is pointless. The mind set of you and the other guy was that a girl dressed in a slutty fashion doesn't deserved to get raped. No one deserves to get raped. Rape and sexual harrassment(of this nature) are different. A guy could go out in the day and decide he wants to rape a girl and he could pick a nun if he wanted to.

My point was that this woman clearly stated sexual preference. Like I said, which seemed to be wholly ignored, even though I'm straight, I don't put it in my profile like that. If a girl puts "I love Jane" that would recieve less abuse than saying, "I'm 25 and I'm gay".

I'm a girl and I don't put, "I'm 20 and I'm straight" because I'm not stupid enough to do that. Putting your sexual preference regardless of being gay or straight is absolutely ridiculous. Especially if you're a female on XBL, you should KNOW BETTER.

But like I said, I know you won't change you opion.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
cobra_ky said:
Xan Krieger said:
The situation is really simple. She broke a rule and she got punished. Where's the problem?
the problem is that the rule itself is pointless and discriminatory.
Well the catch there is that xbox live is strictly optional and privately owned which means they can enforce whatever rules they want.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
VanityGirl said:
Well, even though arguing is pointless. The mind set of you and the other guy was that a girl dressed in a slutty fashion doesn't deserved to get raped. No one deserves to get raped. Rape and sexual harrassment(of this nature) are different. A guy could go out in the day and decide he wants to rape a girl and he could pick a nun if he wanted to.
I'm pretty sure we're agreeing on this. All i was saying is that the victim's behavior is irrelevant to the severity of the offense. harassing a woman is wrong, whether she's wearing a burqa or a bikini. harassing a homosexual is wrong whether he's singing showtunes in full drag or simply holding his partner's hand in public.

VanityGirl said:
My point was that this woman clearly stated sexual preference. Like I said, which seemed to be wholly ignored, even though I'm straight, I don't put it in my profile like that. If a girl puts "I love Jane" that would recieve less abuse than saying, "I'm 25 and I'm gay".

I'm a girl and I don't put, "I'm 20 and I'm straight" because I'm not stupid enough to do that. Putting your sexual preference regardless of being gay or straight is absolutely ridiculous. Especially if you're a female on XBL, you should KNOW BETTER.
fair enough, but i don't see why someone who chooses to put that in their profile should be banned. if she's willing to face the abuse then i dont' see any reason she should be forced to remove it.

VanityGirl said:
But like I said, I know you won't change you opion.
don't be so certain, my opinions change all the time. ^.^

Spleeni

Jul 5, 2008
VanityGirl said:

fair enough, but i don't see why someone who chooses to put that in their profile should be banned. if she's willing to face the abuse then i dont' see any reason she should be forced to remove it.
time. ^.^
Now hold on, Vanity has a point there. You should never dive into a community without trying to get at least a basic understanding of What Is Allowed. Hinting that you might have the barest nibblings of homosexual tendencies on XBL is as good as walking (or prancing) into a bar and calling everyone a pussy. You WILL be beaten, even if the people beating you are just doing it to save face, and actually like being called a pussy.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
We should really stop seeing homosexuals as something wrong.

any word that describes a homo should just be seen as a word, that way gamers and society would function a little better.

CoziestPigeon

Oct 6, 2008
We do all realize that microsoft likely didn't look into the problem at all, just followed the several reports against her? You actually think they get a human to manually decide if someone needs banning?

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
I like lesbians, they should be allowed to say what they want in their profile, with pictures.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Dark Templar said:
This is unacceptable.

She wasn't flaunting it or anything. Microsoft is a much of homophobic morons.
No they aren't try, reading everything first.

The homophobic morons reported her, Microsoft being simply morons did not look at why she was reported and banned her. They don't have people to look into why they were reported they just assume that if so many people are reporting then there is a good reason. It's stupid but it isn't anything to do with MS's homophobia.

skywalkerlion said:
Homophobes suck, but why was this woman going around telling everyone her sexuality anyway?
Well, she wasn't really. It was in her bio, people have to go out of their way to view bio's in the first place.

I don't think she should have put it in her bio, because sexuality is irrelevant and considering that anyone with an inkling of sense, understands how the majority of online people act, she should have expected it. It isn't right, nor is it fair, but she put herself in the situation.

I am referring to how people responded by the way, not Microsoft banning her, because that was just moronic.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
oh hey i got quoted! i almost forgot about this thread.

Spleeni said:
Now hold on, Vanity has a point there. You should never dive into a community without trying to get at least a basic understanding of What Is Allowed. Hinting that you might have the barest nibblings of homosexual tendencies on XBL is as good as walking (or prancing) into a bar and calling everyone a pussy. You WILL be beaten, even if the people beating you are just doing it to save face, and actually like being called a pussy.
That's true, but i still have every right to call everyone a pussy, regardless of the consequences, and they would have no right to assault me. she was in the right and her harassers/stalkers were clearly in the wrong.

Spleeni

Jul 5, 2008
cobra_ky said:
oh hey i got quoted! i almost forgot about this thread.

Spleeni said:
That's true, but i still have every right to call everyone a pussy, regardless of the consequences, and they would have no right to assault me. she was in the right and her harassers/stalkers were clearly in the wrong.
Mmmmhmm

You do have the right to attract the angry mob. Just don't be surprised when they torch your puppy.