Update: Microsoft Finally Admits to Xbox 720

loa

Jan 28, 2012
They sure do seem obsessed with the idea of a "media center" that does everything instead of keeping it simple (which might make the thing less like a giant brick).
I can get behind dvds but why the heck would I want to watch TV through my gaming console?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
End of the year? And Halo 4 comes out in November...surely they would just release Halo 4 onto the new system, so then they would make A LOT more money with the system.

Somehow i doubt this, i really do, but even Microsoft isn't that stupid to release a highly anticipated game onto the 360 when in a month a new console would hit the shelf. And if they do, they are idiots. :p

I can easily see it being released in 2013/2014, but this year, and not mention at E3? Yeh sure.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
The only thing I care about here is if it has backwards compatibility. And I mean FULL backwards compatibility, permanently. If I can't play my entire current Xbox 360 collection on the new Xbox when it eventually comes out, then there's no way I'm getting rid of my current console. Which means a lesser chance of me upgrading to the newer version...

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Devoneaux said:
Aerosteam 1908 said:
I would have just said 'the next Xbox'.
Or rather "The NeXtBox"
Why the heck didn't I think of that?!

That is an awesome name, yes, but nothing will ever beat Fox News' name for it.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Cecilthedarkknight_234 said:
thethird0611 said:
You know what would be great? To port over the current XBLA games to the 720, and then allow people to download the games they have for the 360 on the 720!

Im just saying... it would make me extremely happy.
I would think the same model with the psn on the vita to download psp games would be at work here for digital games on the 720. I could also see a transfer app that will allow you log in your Xbox live account to the new system and transfer over all the purchases with said account via Ethernet or WiFi. All of this speculation however..we will just have to wait and see.
it's time again to get screwed over by another console generation...

when will they ever learn,... when...

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Devoneaux said:
Aerosteam 1908 said:
I hate it when people call it the 'Xbox 720'. Jesus, Microsoft aren't the unimaginative when it comes to naming consoles. I would have just said 'the next Xbox'.

As for the news, It seems really strange how they didn't announce this at E3, it wasn't that long ago.
Or rather "The NeXtBox"
Even better yet, "The KineXtBox".

Anyway, I propose the name Xbox Fiesta instead, for no other reason that I like the sound of it.

Jameseh

Rejected from society.
Mar 20, 2009
Hopefully the controller stays the same, except for a split d-pad.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I'm not too excited about the specs so far, all it's telling me is that it's slowly catching up to PC's of last year. 64-bit and 4-6GB of RAM, shit that's at least what I'd be expecting, especially if there's extra resources going into the OS running it, knowing MS's track record I hope they don't make it a bloated mess.

Backwards compatibility is good, that's nice to loyal fans rather than taking out the used games market, but I hope the cloud gaming part is implemented well. That's still something rather new and I hope it doesn't ruffle too many feathers. Though it definitely will, just like Steam did and Origin is doing.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
thebobmaster said:
It seems odd that a brand new system that is supposedly releasing in the next 4 months hasn't even been confirmed by Microsoft, doesn't it? Especially with the WiiU having been confirmed for over a year.
My thoughts exactly. They'd have 3 months and a bit to generate hype if they're aiming for a late Q4 release, which is very little. Six months would be bare minimum, and I'd expect a year.

loa said:
They sure do seem obsessed with the idea of a "media center" that does everything instead of keeping it simple (which might make the thing less like a giant brick).
I can get behind dvds but why the heck would I want to watch TV through my gaming console?
It's not you they're aiming at, but people who'd buy it as a tv receiver you can play games on.
Much along the same lines as that a PS3 on discount is a perfectly viable alternative to a blu-ray player.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Terminate421 said:
Jorec said:
Hooray? I mean it sounds cool and all but a release by the end of 2012? I just hope the new systems have all the kinks worked out and aren't being released simply to meet the holiday season.

... Oh who am I kidding, of course they would release it for the holiday season. Even if it did have crippling issues.
Everyone knows Microsoft learned their lesson from the RROD, whatever they launch, they'll test the shit out of it to avoid it.
really? assuming this is legit, I'd be taking bets on the crash rate being some what greater then the 360s

but i doubt this is legit, Microsoft would have been bragging about 'how much better it is' compared to the WiiU by now if it was

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Kargathia said:
loa said:
It's not you they're aiming at, but people who'd buy it as a tv receiver you can play games on.
Naw, you're not thinking it through... they're offering a game console (or at least, we assume it will still play games... hard to say with all the other shit they're shoehorning in) that can also be used as a DVR so you can 'time-shift' (legalese for 'record and watch later') tv shows.

Doesn't sound like something they'd really be interested in... except for when those HDDs inside the start getting full-as-fuck (and people who own DVRs will tell you that doesn't take anywhere near as long as people think it will) and people want bigger and bigger HDDs... which microsoft will be more than willing to sell them at a grossly inflated premium.

Much along the same lines as that a PS3 on discount is a perfectly viable alternative to a blu-ray player.
Actually, even at a discount they're still not a viable alternative unless the PS3 offers you other things you're interested in... because it will be a loooooong time before a PS3 is discounted to be price competative with a low end, el cheapo BR player.

That doesn't even count people who use a PC as their media centre, who can grab a BR drive for their system for AU$50.

Druyn

May 6, 2010
This has to be a fakeout or a lie or a misunderstanding or something. The xbox 360 is a hugely popular machine with a dedicated fanbase, there's no way they're going to ship out it's successor with so little notice and advertising. It's already freakin' August. They would give the next console at least a year and market the hell out of it, not mention it in passing with five months left till Christmas.

I'm calling bull on this one.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
I'll wait till I see the graphical output on it before I even consider getting it.

Go on, Microsoft. Impress me.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
kitsuta said:
It's been almost six years since the current console generation started
Pedantic moment: Xbox 360 first release date - November 16, 2005. It's been almost seven years.

Pedantry aside, I agree that four months seems like they'd be cutting it awfully close as far as hype goes, and especially with Halo 4 looming on the horizon. The Xbox 360 was unveiled to the public six months before it hit the market, and this isn't an 'official' announcement or anything so assumptions would say that they'd likely only give themselves three months of hype if they tried pushing it out before the new year.

I'll wait and see what happens. I figure next year I'll need to upgrade my computer anyway.

EDITED out a bit that had no business being included because it's pretty easy to see the date for most people on this website. :D

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I doubt that release date being before the end of the year. It would've been announced at E3 this year if it was going to be released.

Plus as a Bungie fan that leaked contract from the Activision-Infinity Ward case specified how their new franchise was to release in 2013 as one of the launch titles for the "Xbox 720" along with on the older 360.

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
The Crazy Legs said:
"Hall said that Microsoft is releasing it to coincide with "the new wave of products," including Windows 8, Office 15, the next generation of Windows Phones, and the aforementioned Xbox."

GOD DAMN IT! I finally have new stuff, and now it's all going to be outdated by something new?! Are you serious?! I JUST bought a new Xbox and a new laptop! Bloody hell.

... Well, it's progress, I guess. And it probably won't come out until the end of the year. I've got time to enjoy what I have. What, four, five months?
Aw don't feel too bad about it. It usually takes a couple years for new consoles to be worth buying anyway. What with new IP taking a while to develop and the practically inevitable bugs that the system itself will have on launch (RRoD anyone?) it's probably for the best.

Besides, most of the stuff for the 360 is gonna be discounted now! Hooray for waiting.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
And the official name will probably be xbox 360 triangle.

I doubt it will release this year. There is no way they wouldn't make any hype about it. Unless they leaked all that info intentionally hoping that it will be hype enough. Too bad that people were to skeptical about it and it went the other way, creating some anti-hype.