Update: Minecraft Fan Film Wants $600,000 From Kickstarter

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
I'm surprised at the lack of FreddieW and VGHS fans here. Nobody thinks these guys can pull this off after all of their previous successes?

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Where's the source that this was cancelled? I'm not seeing that anywhere. Not on the Kickstarteer page, YouTube, Twitter, or on Rocketjump.com.

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
Lono Shrugged said:
I'm glad it was cancelled, it was an incredibly stupid premise for a film.
That no one was forcing you to watch or even donate to.... what's wrong with people who like Minecraft wanting to fund a project to make a Minecraft themed film that will be watched by people who enjoy Minecraft? But oh no wait Lono Shrugged thinks it's stupid, sorry everyone, but your taste in games is wrong!

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
silverbullet1989 said:
Lono Shrugged said:
That no one was forcing you to watch or even donate to.... what's wrong with people who like Minecraft wanting to fund a project to make a Minecraft themed film that will be watched by people who enjoy Minecraft? But oh no wait Lono Shrugged thinks it's stupid, sorry everyone, but your taste in games is wrong!
There's nothing wrong with Minecraft fans donating to such a project.

Just like there's nothing wrong with people who thought it looked like a bad idea/scam being glad that it was cancelled.

:p

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Them assuming they could just make a movie ask for money and slap minecraft on it wo asking notch or anyone at his company they deserved to be shut down on general principle, no way you plan something like without contacting the ip holders first.

It was bone headed disrespectful and i dont not care who the guy is or what he has done. if hes got any kind of utube celebrity hes got ad revenues hes got money coming in, which makes it even worse. He could have done a movie on his own payed people out of his pocket for the cgi such as it is and so on might not be what he would have wanted but he could have easily done a 10 20 minute film wo it being grossly costly. and if he had fans i am sure some would have been happy to donate talent to the project.

take ks out of it entirely he would have been golden, but if you going to ask for money no matter what its for you better not do it with someone elses intellectual property.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Another one of these "Uhh we dont have any permission to use this intellectual property for profit, but we are going to go ahead and do it anyway" deals.

Yeah I guess I should not have been surprised in the other thread related to steam how many people dont understand the differences of ownership

Im betting dollars to donuts that when it comes to light the reason this was cancelled there will be a cease and desist order, either from Mojang or Kickstarter for not having permission to make something for money from someone elses intellectual property.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Nooners said:
Where's the source that this was cancelled? I'm not seeing that anywhere. Not on the Kickstarteer page, YouTube, Twitter, or on Rocketjump.com.
Funding Canceled Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator 1 day ago.
Right on the top of the kickstarter page.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
They cancelled the funding? Hmm. I can't say I mind much. Seems more like they're trying to use someone else's stuff for profit, that is, trying to benefit off of something else's popularity. Which I always see. Around the time Minecraft was at its height, every animator or live action group was doing parodies, same for when X and Y was coming out. It's just a tactic to draw a larger crowd. I don't mind as much if they're dedicated fans, but when they aren't, it just rubs me the wrong way.

Also "This is what I'm passionate about!" Cancels at the drop of a hat. I hope they got in trouble. I'm so vindictive.

Mothhive

Apr 2, 2010
I think this tweet from Notch may have something to do with it:

"We don't allow half a million kickstarters based on our ip without any deals in place. :/"

https://twitter.com/notch/status/431795020082216960

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Shitty cash-in movie averted, the cycle continues.

It was a stupid move to launch this without even considering that the owners of the IP might have wanted them to ask for permission first. But judging by the video nothing of value was lost anyway.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
silverbullet1989 said:
Lono Shrugged said:
I never said the game was stupid. It's a fantastic GAME. This is a terrible looking MOVIE. People can waste their money however they want. Even on terrible movies. It's my opinion, why should it bother you anyway?

Mekanicum

Jan 13, 2014
(Sorry for the essay, I find myself oddly passionate about this for some reason)

I don?t see how this could ever be good in the first place. Minecraft isn?t even a ?setting,? it?s a collection of variables that when taken out of its game context is pretty damn empty. Which isn?t a bad thing because that emptiness is what makes it such a great game, that?s what allows players to do things like re-create Skyrim or turn it into the Hunger Games but that?s also what makes it a horrible property to turn into a movie.

Why? Well, let?s look at how you would describe a hypothetical Minecraft movie, ?A man tries to survive alone in the wilderness.? That?s it. That?s Minecraft. How fucking boring does that sound? Now, Man VS nature is a tried and true plot type, there?s nothing wrong with it, but context is important and Minecraft has absolutely nothing to give in that regard because wilderness survival IS ALL THAT IS, there is nothing more to Minecraft then chopping down trees and hunting pigs which, again, is fun gameplay but empty as far as storytelling goes.

Just for fun let?s take that exact same plot description but put it in a different setting, the Fallout Universe. Now it?s going to be summarized like this, ?A man tries to survive alone in the wilderness of post-apocalyptic America.? Doesn?t that sound a lot more interesting? That already brings up a thousand possibilities alone doesn?t it? Why, because the Fallout universe has WEIGHT, it has HISTORY behind it. This hypothetical movie wouldn?t just be about a guy trying to survive in the wilderness, it?ll be about a guy trying to survive in a world where events have occurred outside his immediate concerns. This is why setting is important.

Mekanicum

Jan 13, 2014
SourMilk said:
Mekanicum said:
Yeah, you're over thinking it. Even then it isn't *official* nor is it trying to the recollections of H.G.Wells or George Orwell. It's entertainment and it being RocketJump which means that it will be more action than story.
Just because it's "entertainment" doesn't mean it would be exempt from having a decent story. If anything, you need a good story in order to have good entertainment. Look at any great popcorn movie such as Raiders of the Lost Ark or Die Hard and you'll notice not only do they have great action but they also have great stories that are well told. Now look at something that puts action over story, such as Transformers, and guess what? Shit movie. About the only form of entertainment that can get away with putting the action first are video games, which, coincidentally, tend not to translate well when they the get turned into movies.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
My opinions here are mixed. While this seems like a truly terrible idea on a lot of levels, I think Mojang, a company that has been been screaming about trademark/copyright bullies shutting down a fan film is kind of hypocritical. Unless I'm missing something here this is basically someone producing the equivalent of what say "Nuka Break" was to the "Fallout" games or things along those lines. It presents no real threat to Minecraft or it's brand, and might actually bring in new players, or help keep the ones there increasingly invested in the community.

Don't get me wrong, Mojang is within it's rights, but a company that has been all upset about fighting another company being bullies over the word "Scrolls" rally grass roots support, doesn't seem like the kind of company that should be getting all upset over some fans making a movie of dubious quality for love of the game.

Now, I *AM* writing this from the perspective that this is as the title says a "fan film" and as such there is no plan to charge admission for it or whatever. I have not investigated it in detail. It seems like the kind of thing that's intended to say show up on Youtube and get a lot of laughs.

That said, I think the big lesson here should be that kickstarter and other crowdfunding sources really aren't the types of things you should use for goofy fan projects. A lot of the most famous ones more or less "came out of nowhere" without announcing their intention, which is probably how a lot of them didn't get more attention. It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission so to speak.... but still, it seems like shutting this down "because they didn't ask" (like most fan projects don't, being FAN projects) is a bit heavy handed.... and really, if Notch or a rep for Mojang comes up and says "we're doing this because legally we have to sue everyone who mentions our brand or does anything that seems even remotely similar owe we could lose the rights!" I hope someone seals them in a barrel full of starving, rabid ferrets... the painful irony there would just me more than I could take after the many, many, defenses of Mojang in the whole Bethesda/Zenimax thing.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
One could argue that if a Lego movie could be made and be good then there's no reason this couldn't, but I find myself asking why? Why do we need a movie version of Minecraft? It feels like another instance of gamers feeling that their medium is inadequate and thus we need a film version to legitimize it. Fuck that, Minecraft is perfect as a game, and a game is what it was meant to be. A movie version would just be a cynical cash in on something popular.

Sep 9, 2007
Therumancer said:
My opinions here are mixed. While this seems like a truly terrible idea on a lot of levels, I think Mojang, a company that has been been screaming about trademark/copyright bullies shutting down a fan film is kind of hypocritical. Unless I'm missing something here this is basically someone producing the equivalent of what say "Nuka Break" was to the "Fallout" games or things along those lines. It presents no real threat to Minecraft or it's brand, and might actually bring in new players, or help keep the ones there increasingly invested in the community.

Don't get me wrong, Mojang is within it's rights, but a company that has been all upset about fighting another company being bullies over the word "Scrolls" rally grass roots support, doesn't seem like the kind of company that should be getting all upset over some fans making a movie of dubious quality for love of the game.
I can see where Mojang are coming from. While the film may not be threatening to the Minecraft brand, it is someone asking for over half a million dollars to make a video about someone else's IP without doing the decent thing and getting permission to do so beforehand. I mean, that would be the first step you would take, surely?