Update: OnLive Transitions Into New Company

LongMuckDong

Aug 23, 2011
Boudica said:
Nurb said:
No matter how much the big companies try to force it, people still want to OWN the games they pay for.

Gamers want a library they can access any time no matter how many years pass. I still get my copies of X-Wing and TIE-Fighter out from time to time and that might not be possible with games out this generation if people keep letting the publishers and "game service" companies get away with taking away ownership.
You mean "some people" still want psychical copies, as said people are now a minority. If you Google some statistics, digital downloads account for much more of the market than boxed does.
No, they don't. Yet.

Unless you count all the app and mobile bullshit as real games, then I guess they do.

I'm glad Onlive has died - I sympathize for the job losses, but the Cloud based, gaming as a service not a product model can suck my hairy massive bollox to be honest.

A win for the owning games crowd, a loss for the digital only cloud fanboy cult.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Bleh. The whole cloud gaming thing has never been something I've been much in support of. My condolences to the people who lost their jobs, but I'm in full agreement with people like Dexter111. Cloud gaming is to me what motion controls are to Yahtzee.

---

EDIT: Yeah, so I read through the Kotaku article that was linked here. Kinda puts some things in a different perspective.

Kotaku said:
When the meeting broke up, there was the ritual exchanging of hugs and gallows humor among the laid off. "One of the things we were successful at with OnLive, there was a real community, not just in its engineering or some other team," the former employee said. "You could either get really angry or you could laugh. There was more laughter than anger, in my opinion.

"People were hugging, saying, 'I guess I need a box for my things,' figuring out what bar we were meeting at, so we can go get some tequila."
Even though I despise the service, I feel for these guys.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Boudica said:
Nurb said:
No matter how much the big companies try to force it, people still want to OWN the games they pay for.

Gamers want a library they can access any time no matter how many years pass. I still get my copies of X-Wing and TIE-Fighter out from time to time and that might not be possible with games out this generation if people keep letting the publishers and "game service" companies get away with taking away ownership.
You mean "some people" still want psychical copies, as said people are now a minority. If you Google some statistics, digital downloads account for much more of the market than boxed does.
People aren't thinking about what they're giving up though. For movies, the companies are already trying to make blu-ray the last physical medium and want to go where people have to pay a service to watch movies like netflix and no other way to store them other than DVRs which have limited space. So if your net goes out or you stop paying monthly fees, there goes your movie library. That's the possible future of games and it sucks.

Sol_HSA

was gaming before you were born
Nov 25, 2008
airrazor7 said:
Sol_HSA said:
joystiq: just a rumour:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/17/onlive-on-rumors-of-closure-of-course-not/
Um, try reading that article you linked again. It pretty much confirms the end of the label "Onlive" and the jobs of a lot of staff members. However it doesn't state who buying the service and how it's going to be handled from this point on. I just hope that there aren't too many repercussions for Onlive's customer.
Yep, they updated their article, several times, after I posted that link.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Baldr said:
Hmm, whoever this mystery company(that purchased) is, they are not interested in keeping OnLive as is.
I'm not surprised, OnLive's operating costs are rumoured to be $5 million per month, for about 1800 concurrent users per day. Or $92 per player per day, can't imagine why any company would touch that even in speculation.

But it's not a surprise that Onlive is about to go tits up surely? Perhaps when the smoke clears, this will turn out to just be a huge scam to avoid paying wages and debts, which I assume must be prodigious.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
"The new company is hiring a large percentage of OnLive, Inc.'s staff across all departments..." [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuspiciouslySpecificDenial]

Fun fact about large percentages:
18% is a pretty massive percentage when talking about child mortality. For alcohol in a beverage, it is so-so, for download progress it's tiny.
Now, what exactly is a "large percentage" when talking about employees not laid off? Note that they didn't say "majority" or anything else that would let you narrow it down to above or below 50% - which would lead to the conclusion that "large" might be less than half.
But of course, cum hoc ergo propter hoc - just because they avoid using specific words in a specific way does not mean that they do so on purpose. Ahem.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
So, not to completely get off topic and such... but that "Onlive controller" that they keep showing in the pictures and news stories... does that exist? Because an Xbox controller with media player controls would be like a dream come true for me...

And that colour scheme is pretty snappy too

Err something tangentially related to the article, so Onlive no longer exists? I never gave much of a toss over stream gaming (Netflix however is frigging amazing.) sucks for the employees, but hopefully it'll work out better for consumers... Yeah... right...

Overseer76

Sep 10, 2009
I see a lot of confusion about this article and its updates. The conclusion we should all take away is that the company changed hands at the top, and the idiots that took over apparently decided that firing everyone, then hiring some (hopefully most -- strike that -- hopefully ALL) of them back was the way to do business.

The service and its future has not changed. Yet.

What confuses me is that last line. Care to give us that confirmation again?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Yopaz said:
Therumancer said:
Yopaz said:
Ferrious said:
Sounds like I'm the only person who actually LIKES OnLive. For lunch-breaks it's pretty much our company's primary distraction - OnLive runs on practically any of our terminals, so there's no hardware issues there.

We even have one of the little OnLive consoles in the break room attached to the TV. Yes, it pales compared to my real rig, but I don't have my real rig at work, shockingly.

Would be very disappointed to see such a promising service go under, let alone the sudden unemployment of so many people (which has nothing to do with how anyone perceives the service).
I really like the concept, but not the service since it's not come to Europe yet. I have tested the service and it works as it's supposed to, but I don't have any strong feelings on it since I haven't actually been able to do more than brief tests. OnLive is a great way to make game accessible for anyone who doesn't have a great gaming PC, the risk that the service can be shut down and people will be left with nothing is there, but with retail there's the risk of defective discs and discs getting scratched so nothing is perfect.
Well, yes and no, the odds of getting defective discs are pretty low, and if there is actually that kind of damage getting a replacement can be easy, if time consuming.

As I said in my last post, while nothing has destroyed this service yet, it's shown the possibility and what kind of damage it will do for subscribers if it did happen to go down entirely. That is why I have tried to stay away from digital as much as possible, even if it's becoming nearly impossible to do.

I suppose I can see the appeal to those who low-end PCs, but given that Onlive more or less got pwned competitively, it's shown that whatever they were charging it's too little to be viable. I imagine to work this is going to wind up being just as expensive as current methods, but with less power in your hands.
True, the chance of getting a defective disc might not be high, but can we really get odds on a company failing? I have had 4 defective discs and I never got my money back, luckily one of them was a PC games that let me register it online and I could download a digital version. The others were console games which I never got to work, so I can tell you that it does happen. I also did contact GameStop about all those games and they refused to give me a new copy or to replace it. I got what I would get for trading in a used game and it was listed as new since I had never actually used it. So you're right, the process is time consuming and it doesn't always pay off at all.

Now of course the risk of a digital distribution service going bankrupt is present, but really, why do you fear something like that. Take Valve, do honestly believe they will go under any time soon? I'll consider a disc error being more likely than them going bankrupt.

Edit: Cloud gaming isn't only for those with a low end PC, it also makes it possible to play high end games on tablets or phones meaning you can play anywhere you are.
When something like STEAM goes under it's usually relatively sudden for most of the user bases. All it takes is the guys in charge deciding they are done with the business and deciding to sell it or close it down, or simply for them to make some bad investments. To be honest a big part of the entire US economic crisis has been how easy it was for companies to basically run on empty for years at a time with nobody even having a clue. If STEAM was bankrupt right now, none of us would know it. That's the differance between digital and having a physical copy that doesn't require online/digital components (which touches on other issues) if a company goes out of business you can still play your game.

Typically fans of STEAM (which is the most stable, and seemingly likely to survive, which is why it's what I use) will point to how Gabe promised that if STEAM was going down he would ensure everyone could keep access to their games. The problem is that when a company REALLY goes down there by definition aren't time and resources to make good on a promise like that.

I get it, a lot of people like digital because it's easy and conveinent, and as time goes on there are plenty of kids who have never done it any other way, so don't see the big deal. In the end that's what it's all about. People trading security for conveinence, and that's generally not a good thing.

As far as cloud gaming and portables goes, that's pretty much lulzworthy. For all the claims about how great it is to be able to play high end games on a portable device, it's generally not practical which makes such a point pretty funny. If your going to sit down for a 12 hour session of playing a "serious" game, your not going to want to do it on a 3" screen, if you have that kind of time your generally going to be doing it on a TV or monitor with actual gaming equipment. Whether or not the portable device can render it or not is kind of irrelevent, given that portable gaming is something people tend to do while waiting in a doctor's office or when they have like 10 minutes on a lunch break. There are exceptions of course, but that's the general rule.

Cloud gaming DOES make gaming easier and more accessible for a lot of people in a general sense, but again, it comes at the expense of security.

From my perspective I tend to think that games should be sold with both a physical, and digital version like a lot of movies are. That way you CAN download it and use a cloud if you want to, but also have a self-contained, DRM free version that will run without needing any of that stuff. As I've said before in other threads, I personally think we need to start seeing regulation on the trade of virtual items, goods, and services, and providing a physical copy along with a purely digital one should probably be a matter of law, in the interst of protecting consumers in th elong term.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Therumancer said:
Yopaz said:
Therumancer said:
Yopaz said:
Ferrious said:
Sounds like I'm the only person who actually LIKES OnLive. For lunch-breaks it's pretty much our company's primary distraction - OnLive runs on practically any of our terminals, so there's no hardware issues there.

We even have one of the little OnLive consoles in the break room attached to the TV. Yes, it pales compared to my real rig, but I don't have my real rig at work, shockingly.

Would be very disappointed to see such a promising service go under, let alone the sudden unemployment of so many people (which has nothing to do with how anyone perceives the service).
I really like the concept, but not the service since it's not come to Europe yet. I have tested the service and it works as it's supposed to, but I don't have any strong feelings on it since I haven't actually been able to do more than brief tests. OnLive is a great way to make game accessible for anyone who doesn't have a great gaming PC, the risk that the service can be shut down and people will be left with nothing is there, but with retail there's the risk of defective discs and discs getting scratched so nothing is perfect.
Well, yes and no, the odds of getting defective discs are pretty low, and if there is actually that kind of damage getting a replacement can be easy, if time consuming.

As I said in my last post, while nothing has destroyed this service yet, it's shown the possibility and what kind of damage it will do for subscribers if it did happen to go down entirely. That is why I have tried to stay away from digital as much as possible, even if it's becoming nearly impossible to do.

I suppose I can see the appeal to those who low-end PCs, but given that Onlive more or less got pwned competitively, it's shown that whatever they were charging it's too little to be viable. I imagine to work this is going to wind up being just as expensive as current methods, but with less power in your hands.
True, the chance of getting a defective disc might not be high, but can we really get odds on a company failing? I have had 4 defective discs and I never got my money back, luckily one of them was a PC games that let me register it online and I could download a digital version. The others were console games which I never got to work, so I can tell you that it does happen. I also did contact GameStop about all those games and they refused to give me a new copy or to replace it. I got what I would get for trading in a used game and it was listed as new since I had never actually used it. So you're right, the process is time consuming and it doesn't always pay off at all.

Now of course the risk of a digital distribution service going bankrupt is present, but really, why do you fear something like that. Take Valve, do honestly believe they will go under any time soon? I'll consider a disc error being more likely than them going bankrupt.

Edit: Cloud gaming isn't only for those with a low end PC, it also makes it possible to play high end games on tablets or phones meaning you can play anywhere you are.
When something like STEAM goes under it's usually relatively sudden for most of the user bases. All it takes is the guys in charge deciding they are done with the business and deciding to sell it or close it down, or simply for them to make some bad investments. To be honest a big part of the entire US economic crisis has been how easy it was for companies to basically run on empty for years at a time with nobody even having a clue. If STEAM was bankrupt right now, none of us would know it. That's the differance between digital and having a physical copy that doesn't require online/digital components (which touches on other issues) if a company goes out of business you can still play your game.

Typically fans of STEAM (which is the most stable, and seemingly likely to survive, which is why it's what I use) will point to how Gabe promised that if STEAM was going down he would ensure everyone could keep access to their games. The problem is that when a company REALLY goes down there by definition aren't time and resources to make good on a promise like that.

I get it, a lot of people like digital because it's easy and conveinent, and as time goes on there are plenty of kids who have never done it any other way, so don't see the big deal. In the end that's what it's all about. People trading security for conveinence, and that's generally not a good thing.

As far as cloud gaming and portables goes, that's pretty much lulzworthy. For all the claims about how great it is to be able to play high end games on a portable device, it's generally not practical which makes such a point pretty funny. If your going to sit down for a 12 hour session of playing a "serious" game, your not going to want to do it on a 3" screen, if you have that kind of time your generally going to be doing it on a TV or monitor with actual gaming equipment. Whether or not the portable device can render it or not is kind of irrelevent, given that portable gaming is something people tend to do while waiting in a doctor's office or when they have like 10 minutes on a lunch break. There are exceptions of course, but that's the general rule.

Cloud gaming DOES make gaming easier and more accessible for a lot of people in a general sense, but again, it comes at the expense of security.

From my perspective I tend to think that games should be sold with both a physical, and digital version like a lot of movies are. That way you CAN download it and use a cloud if you want to, but also have a self-contained, DRM free version that will run without needing any of that stuff. As I've said before in other threads, I personally think we need to start seeing regulation on the trade of virtual items, goods, and services, and providing a physical copy along with a purely digital one should probably be a matter of law, in the interst of protecting consumers in th elong term.
Well I would first like to point out that Steam isn't written in all capital letters, the logo is, but everywhere else it's only the s. It's not as complicated as you seem to think to give people their games if Steam is going to fail as you seem to think it is. There are product keys tied to the games on every account. The only thing necessary is to give people those product keys rather than keeping them in their data base.

As I said earlier we can't even know the chance that a company failing, you have pretty much made that point stronger. What we can know is things we got statistics for. One example is that we know the Xbox 360 had a problem where it could ruin discs while they were inside the disc tray. We know about 30% of all systems failed for some hardware related error, I don't have statistics for the other 2 right now, but my point is that we can calculate the probability that we're going to lose access to a game because of physical occurrences. In fact the percentage of video game companies that have failed are a lot smaller than the percentage of game discs that have had some kind of error. We could thus say that digital distribution is safer. However what I am trying to say is that we can't say anything about this. You pointed this out yourself, we can't be sure that a company will make it or not. There's no probability tied to it, but you seem to expect us to consider the possibility, yet you consider the possibility of a disc error to be so low that we shouldn't consider it. You even seemed to ignore the fact that I have had many and that the retailer refused to refund me for it. I'm not trying to praise digital distribution here, I'm just trying to point out that physical distribution also got its flaws.

People are unwilling to play serious games on a 3 inch screen... I take it you have never heard about the Game Boy, the DS the PSP or the Vita? That is gaming done on a small screen and believe it or not, people do it. For those who want to play on a bigger screen there's also such small and hardly known products as the iPad, the Samsung Galaxy tab, Asus Transformer or Archos tabs. Screen sizes that go up to about 10 inches. And as far as proper equipment goes. It's almost impossible to find a TV that you can't connect with your PC or tablet these days. It's also easy to find a controller to connect if you feel like you need that. All those things you mentioned as wrong with cloud gaming and a dedicated audience are entirely possible to accomplish, but there's no need for an expensive PC or a game console.

However I can't possibly disagree with your closing statement. The rights and laws around digital distribution should protect the customer more than it currently does. The security of having a double copy (or do you mean triple) where you can buy a physical product and download if you feel like it or use the disc if that's your thing. As for security I can't see a flaw in this at all.

LongMuckDong

Aug 23, 2011
Boudica said:
LongMuckDong said:
Boudica said:
Nurb said:

No, they don't. Yet.

Unless you count all the app and mobile bullshit as real games, then I guess they do.

I'm glad Onlive has died - I sympathize for the job losses, but the Cloud based, gaming as a service not a product model can suck my hairy massive bollox to be honest.

A win for the owning games crowd, a loss for the digital only cloud fanboy cult.
I think you should be more aggressive and abrasive. Your comment was much too kind and eloquent >_>
In hindsight, it did sound rather crude and angst ridden... must have been drinking rye whisky that night (I faintly remember posting that..lol).

Having said that..

I stand by my stance on Cloud Gaming being viable at this present time in history, it's just not.

Oh yeah, I'm sure it is if you have fiber optics etc, but if you have standard broadband and god-forbid, limited bandwidth, it's not going to happen.

I am 100% onside with Cloud Gaming, if it can work 100% properly for me and my countrymen... so I'll be onside by 2020 by the rate of cable infrastructure upgrades in Australasia :p