Update: Open Source Android Console Fully Funded with $1 Million

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Update: Open Source Android Console Fully Funded with $1 Million

The Kickstarter campaign for Ouya blew up this morning.

Update: Since I originally posted this story three hours ago, the Kickstarter campaign to fund the Ouya Android console doubled its funding total. The campaign is fully funded with more than $990,000 raised, and by the time I press the publish button, the total will likely be more than $1 million. I guess the little startup Ouya struck a nerve.

Original: One startup company believes the problem with videogames these days is the stale business model. Hardware makers sell their development kits at a high price to companies, which are then forced to spend hundreds of millions of dollars creating AAA games that will sell to the masses. The quality of what that market produces suffers because no one is willing to bet that much money on a neat or original idea. Hence endless sequels. Ouya wants to shake all that up by offering a completely open source console with an Android backbone and a stylish design for $99. Games on the Ouya console will be free to play, and Ouya will provide a free development kit to anyone who wants one. The plan even encourages hacking, allowing the curious to take apart the box and tinker to their heart's content. after one day they are already halfway there. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118268-Android-Gets-a-Console]

[gallery=828]

The brains behind Ouya see the writing on the wall. "We get it - smartphones and tablets are getting all the new titles - they're 'what's hot.' The console market is pushing developers away," the campaign pages reads. "We've seen a brain drain: some of the best, most creative gamemakers are focused on mobile and social games because those platforms are more developer-friendly. And the ones who remain focused on console games can't be as creative as they'd like."

The answer is to open up the system. "It's time we brought back innovation, experimentation, and creativity to the big screen. Let's make the games less expensive to make, and less expensive to buy. With all our technological advancements, shouldn't costs be going down? Gaming could be cheaper!"

Several prominent game designers sounded off on what they thought about the idea. "This has the potential to be the game developer's console. It's about time!" exclaimed Brian Fargo, of Interplay and inXile fame and creator of Hunted: The Demon's Forge.

"I'm excited for OUYA! I am a firm believer that there is always room to challenge the status quo," said Jenova Chen, founder of thatgamecompany and designer of Flower and Journey.

Even a spokesman from Notch's Mojang sounded off on possibly bringing Minecraft to the Ouya. "If OUYA delivers on the promise of being the first true open gaming platform that gives indie developers access to the living room gaming market, yes that is a great idea. We will follow the development of OUYA and see how it resonates with gamers. I could see all current Mojang games go on the platform if there's a demand for it."

From the images provided, the Ouya console does indeed look beautiful, clearly trying to ape one of its biggest competitors. "We designed the controller to be a love letter to console gaming. It has everything you've learned to love: fast buttons, triggers, laser-precise analog sticks, a D-Pad - and we've added a touchpad for any games making the trek from mobile or tablet to the TV.

"We call it 'the Stradivarius of controllers,' and we hope developers will be inspired to take gameplay to a new level with it," the campaign said.

The whole concept is certainly appealing. A $99 box with a potentially limitless library of free to play games would shake up the balance of power in the games industry away from the executives at EA, Activision, Sony, Apple, and Microsoft and puts in the keyboards of the people actually making games. The business model depends on support from paid game upgrades and possible microstransactions, but the open source attitude will hopefully open up console game development to a huge number of burgeoning game designers to directly bring titles to an even larger number of game consumers.

I'm not sure if I'm the target audience for this kind of thing, but I applaud the attempt to change the current paradigm. I'll be watching what happens with the Ouya closely.

And for those of you wondering, it's officially pronounced Ooo-Yuh.

Source: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console]

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
This is an awesome idea. Sure it might not get the huge budget AAA titles but it has the potential to produce some really great things. I hope the kickstarter takes off for these guys even further than it already has. The more funding the better.

Jun 7, 2010
Fuck, I had an idea like that a couple of years ago, except it included a LBP style user-friendly creation engine. I should just start patenting and copyrighting everything I think from now on ™

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
It's a great idea, especially as a fixed target for Android game developers. Game development on Android is a nightmare because of all the different OS versions, device capabilities, form factors and so on that exist, especially when compared to the fixed and stable characteristics of iOS devices. I've seen a lot of developers just give up developing games for Android because of this.

With a fixed platform, it gets much easier, if it's well received in the market. The hardware is a bit on the weak side when comparing with current-gen consoles, but I don't think this is a big problem. Good games can be made with it.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Secret world leader (shhh) said:
Fuck, I had an idea like that a couple of years ago, except it included a LBP style user-friendly creation engine. I should just start patenting and copyrighting everything I think from now on ™
Considering the console is open source and hackable, you can still develop a LBP-style creation engine for it :)

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
This is great news for our industry. It harkens back to the Commodore 64 (et al) days that allowed anybody with the desire to do so to create things for a very low cost of entry.

I hope this does very well.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
Oh, and an evil part of me hopes that the debugging tools are utter crap. Nothing turns you into a better programmer than having to debug your black-screen-of-death by only being able to change the border color.

LOL... ah yes... those were the days! Separated the men from the boys when it came to debugging. LOL.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I sure hope that the games aren't open source or this is going to be the biggest bomb ever.

If the free-to-play is implemented in all of the games this could do really well. I wonder how much each console will cost them and thus how they can support making them but hopefully they have a plan worked out (or this is going to quickly bomb).

Jun 7, 2010
tautologico said:
Secret world leader (shhh) said:
Considering the console is open source and hackable, you can still develop a LBP-style creation engine for it :)

See, that's what makes it brilliant.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Considering that the Android market already has titles like GTA 3 running on it, I don't think its a stretch to think they could release near AAA titles on this device. I would be getting the chequebook out to make a donation to this, but I can't afford $99 at the moment, and the lower rewards don't interest me, and its not like this thing is in danger of not meeting the goal.

I think I'll be buying one of these when they are released.

Bagged Milk

Jan 5, 2011
Twilight_guy said:
I sure hope that the games aren't open source or this is going to be the biggest bomb ever.

If the free-to-play is implemented in all of the games this could do really well. I wonder how much each console will cost them and thus how they can support making them but hopefully they have a plan worked out (or this is going to quickly bomb).
I really thought this as well, and it still is a worry, but I'm pretty sure that they've said that you can still sell games for money as long as there is a free counter part/demo/whatever

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Twilight_guy said:

Well looking at the system specs, it can't be that much. The components are pretty similar to recent Android phones, maybe with a little more oomph. A gig of ram costs like $15 dollars, flash memory cost is negligible at this point. They recently released that PC thing that was like $30 dollars or something. Add into the equation that they will pay wholesale prices, I imagine that the $99 price tag won't be too far removed from the actual unit cost to them.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
DiamanteGeeza said:
Oh, and an evil part of me hopes that the debugging tools are utter crap. Nothing turns you into a better programmer than having to debug your black-screen-of-death by only being able to change the border color.

LOL... ah yes... those were the days! Separated the men from the boys when it came to debugging. LOL.
Heh. You don't have to tell me about it. I remember writing Z80 assembly and just kind of having to hope it would work or guess what was wrong when it didn't.

gabycms

Sep 1, 2011
They are selling a console like every second, only 700 (of 5k) left at the time of this writing (the 99 dollar pledge reward)