UPDATE: Penny Arcade Smacks Down Shady PR Dude

Suave Charlie

Pleasant Bastard
Sep 23, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
From Penny-Arcade: "I will personally burn everything I.ve made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."

...am I the only one who is just a smidge afraid of Mike at this point? : )
I see that more as a mantra to live by.
Like an eloquent way of saying "Shoe's on the other foot now bitches!"

Ravnican

Jul 19, 2010
I thought it was already common knowledge that you DO NOT mess with Penny Arcade. I enjoyed this story far more than I should have.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
Did Dave get his two controllers? I wish to see that update! He seems to have gotten lost amidst this scandal of an SOB.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
It's kind of hard to feel sorry for him because he's not only a douche and a bully/liar/cheat, but he REALLY hammered it in. As in, he was unabashedly dickish, and proud of it. People like that really piss me off, and can only learn adjustment via harsher consequences..

Frostwhisper21

Jul 16, 2010
Dear god... I'm curious as to how anyone would hire a tool like this in the first place. I suppose that theory that "Alpha Male" attitudes get you hired is true....

Still, the company(s) he represented are going to get screwed thanks to him. Screw finding work in the game industry, try finding work in Marketing again after screwing up what is probably the one thing you need to do the job:Customer Service.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
I love it when the internet finally sinks their teeth into an asshole that really deserves it. As I read these emails, I kept thinking of the Nigerian spam artists. His language is actually on par with theirs. But they have better customer service. Nigerian spam artists who barely speak English and want to rob you are better at PR than this asshole. Just... ugh.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Why didn't The Escapist post a link to the Penny Arcade article? After all, it's the primary source of this material and you quote it in the article. It's just professional courtesy.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Aardvaarkman said:
Why didn't The Escapist post a link to the Penny Arcade article? After all, it's the primary source of this material and you quote it in the article. It's just professional courtesy.
Um. I did. Right after the word "Source"

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
Well, I guess that despite what they might say... there is such a thing as bad publicity.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
This really stinks of the persecution complex that moviebob was talking about a few big pictures ago.

I feel like Sentor Amidala as Palpatine takes over the senate.

All around people are deciding to viciously smash up a guys life because he was a bit of an asshole.
This is no "eye for an eye" (the meaning of the phrase is that you shall take no more than has been taken from you) let alone the "turn the other cheek" we have been expected to uphold in decent society.

We tell children not to react when provoked, and yet here all I see are whining rabid enthusiasts taking their persecution complexes to such high levels where it is them themselves that are the bullies. This is not even base reaction, it is overreaction at it's finest. Yes the guy should be fired, but that's it.

As someone who has worked in retail I had my moments where I lost my cool, that's no reason for this campaign of hate.

And all this before people go and decide to review bomb a controller that is designed to help disabled kids.

Internet people, you disappoint me. Again.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
What a dick.

Now can someone tell me how that contraption works? It reminds me of Yahtzee's description of War from his Darkriders review.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
Jove said:
I will say the same thing that I have said to the other guy with a response like this. Go back and research some of the responses and of the two threads. The guy did more then just crap all over customers and terrible PR on the products, he lie, cheat, and stole. Just look at my last post. Look at the posts in the other thread. Now it seems the guy has also committed domestic violence.

This guy is getting everything he deserves and that's what it should be. That does not happen often if at all, which is why news like this is even more epic when it does happen. He's not only by the very definition of a douche and bully, but a criminal. And he will be seud like crazy, and face serious jail time. Finally some justice happens for once.
Vigilante justice is not acceptable, if he is guilty of these things, it should be decided by a court and a jury not by the internet's court of opinion.

I saw no evidence of domestic violence, if you would be so kind as to provide a link?

Meanwhile:

1. Copyright Infringement
2. Plagiarizing
3. Piracy
4. Steroids
5. Illegally charged people full on the product before product is even shipped.
6. Lies and Slander about his "big connections".
7. Single handedly destroying if not already destroyed the creditability of the company with his strong lack of professionalism towards paying customers.
8. Domestic Violence
9. Felony
1, 5 and 7 are matters for the company - the company either goes bust and recompenses the people it took money from, or delivered on the goods. He is fired, or replaced or whatever, none of this merits the demonization being lauded on him. Should you disagree - then the place where the corporate law shall be hammered out is in a court not on the internet.

2,3,4 and 6 are all personal matters. There are no laws against being a braggard or copying something (the times when it is are covered by my response to 1). Steroid use or piracy are not big enough issues to merit the reaction it has garnered.

8 is a court matter. if there is verifiable proof - submit it to the authorities, I haven't seen the evidence, but I will not comment if all there is is mere hearsay.

I stand by my assertion that this is wrong, from the start to the finish, this is not the way that civilized adults deal with these sorts of situations.
This persecution complex, born from being bullied in school has led these people to be the bullies of the internet - and that is not acceptable.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Jove said:
I think your either just trying to play devil's advocate just for the sake of it or your Paul himself lol XD.
No no. I believe that's quite impossible, dear Jove. Dagger's grammar is much too good.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
ChildofGallifrey said:
Jove said:
I think your either just trying to play devil's advocate just for the sake of it or your Paul himself lol XD.
No no. I believe that's quite impossible, dear Jove. Dagger's grammar is much too good.
He had some lessons, or he had some of his higher "connections" do all the writing.