UPDATE: Penny Arcade Smacks Down Shady PR Dude

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
ChildofGallifrey said:
Outcast107 said:
He had some lessons, or he had some of his higher "connections" do all the writing.
Jove said:
Maybe it's Paul's little brother then? Heh
The posts were written by the Mayor of Boston. Or possibly the Godfather.
dun Dun DUN?

Anyways OT: Seem like a asshole to me, not much else to say. Good to see that he isn't going to get away with it. Though got to wonder, what happens now?

SurrealFactory

Jun 17, 2011
As much as this guy was out of line, I can't help but feel a little bad for his family. Although his appology may not have been sincere, I don't doubt his wife and kid will be affected by this whole thing. Maybe Mike could've been a bit easier on him.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
wow that got ugly real fast. he's getting what he deserves, and prob quite a bit more... (the Internet isn't known to be merciful lol)

and LOL at the article tags
"...BAD IDEA, IDIOT, MORON, OCEAN MARKETING..."

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
Also - in addition to my last post
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/4969-Words-for-Nerds - explaining the bullying/bully/bullied scenario I alluded to

InsipidMadness

Mar 26, 2010
vansau said:
Parody? You should tack this on your article. Not because it adds more to the deliciousness of the read of the PR fail, but because it's interesting that a man single handedly ruined his own life in less than 24 hours, and there has been a video put up on youtube mocking it.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
The best bit of this was trying to explain to my dad how big a deal Penny Arcade was.

(paraphrased)

Dad: So they're comic book writers?
Me: No a comic strip, on the web, a webcomic.
Dad: So like a newspaper comic but on the internet, that doesn't sound that important.
Me: Well they have a TV show, an annual convention, a charity, awards possibly medals, I don't know, from their home state of Washington and were voted in the 100 most influential people of 2010 by Time.
Dad: Couldn't you just have said they were celebrities?
War Penguin said:
Am I the only one who's wondering what the hell is up with that controller? Yeah? Okay then.
From what I've read the idea is to make it so you never have to take your thumb off the movement/camera stick and your fingers off the triggers. You reload, swap guns, etc with the other fingers, apparently it's faster once you get used to. Also the trigger has changeable sensitivity and stuff to make multiple pulls (for semi-autos) far smoother and faster too. It appears to marketed for "Teh Hardcorz" crowd. Personally if I was that obsessed I'd probably switch to keyboard and mouse for that's advantage.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
The Escapist's own @LoganWestbrook weighs in with his opinion on twitter which is far clearer than most on this site. Though he seems to blame Mike Krahulik for setting loose the dogs, rather than the dogs for mauling the man.

"LoganWestbrook Logan Westbrook
@vmearl [Because] he knows how many fans PA has and he knows how they will react when properly motivated."

RT @aegies we should definitely try to ruin someone's life because of bad customer service. totally."

@vmearl So do I, but it's the company's job to discipline him, not the internet's."

@devilherdue Geeks have a real issue with bullying and being bullies. It's a shame we aren't more aware of how we interact with others."

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
vansau said:
Aardvaarkman said:
Why didn't The Escapist post a link to the Penny Arcade article? After all, it's the primary source of this material and you quote it in the article. It's just professional courtesy.
Um. I did. Right after the word "Source"
i think it was a joke refencing there website dripped heavy in sarcasm

unless its just me trying to find the humor in everything

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
Jove said:
ChildofGallifrey said:
Jove said:
I think your either just trying to play devil's advocate just for the sake of it or your Paul himself lol XD.
No no. I believe that's quite impossible, dear Jove. Dagger's grammar is much too good.
ChildofGallifrey said:
Outcast107 said:
He had some lessons, or he had some of his higher "connections" do all the writing.
Jove said:
The posts were written by the Mayor of Boston. Or possibly the Godfather.
I'm sorry I'm no influential figure, just a guy who can see when a mob is a mob, and isn't afraid to speak out against them

(I was going to add "anonymously" to that, but I figure if someone tech-savvy wanted to/ they could find out who I am.)

I may overuse hyperbole, but I genuine find the actions of the mob reprehensible. I don't condone anything the guys done, but this hounding is not the appropriate reaction.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
EA should sue this guy, on the grounds of he's single handedly upstaging then in terms of poor service /joke

yeah, that's all i got ...

Jdb

May 26, 2010
Hmmm. Would this have stayed as a case of bad customer service if the Internet didn't get involved? Would things like his steroid use and theft remain unknown? The response is disproportionate to the offense. I've experienced terrible customer service before, but that's never compelled me to dig up every little nasty fact about my offender. I've never known of anyone doing that until today!

Zyxx

Jan 25, 2010
On the one hand, I definitely see the appeal in this guy being punished for his bad behavior. He certainly deserved to lose his job, because he did it so abysmally badly.
On the other, I think maybe it was a bit of overkill for PA to unleash the wrath of the Internet on him. By Mike's own admittance, he has literally unleashed a force he cannot control to destroy this man. That might kinda-sorta be a little much.

On the third hand (Hi Zaphod!) Paul ASKED for this, and I don't just mean by his behavior. If the correspondence I've read is accurate, he literally has requested that people stir up as much publicity and media attention as they can, under the idea that all publicity is good publicity. He's getting precisely what he asked for. Most people aren't so lucky.

I'm not saying his life should be utterly ruined, but he needs to realize that he did bring this upon himself. The Internet will move on in a matter of weeks, and hopefully* Paul will come out wiser from the experience.
*read: this probably won't happen. Some people just can't be rehabilitated.

WhatHityou

Nov 14, 2008
Duh hell?

Who can possibly be this stupid? This is on par with those criminals that post facebook updates on there, "conquests." I demand an escapist seal of stupid ideas.

Poor dave, with a V. I hope he gets his controllers at some kind of reasonable speed now. I'm not 100% sure if the company will survive the reputation damage. I also totally agree that the law should get involved and he should at least be fined.

In all seriousness, If I was that kind of person, I would be compelled to take part in the bombing of his reputation. I hope the family doesn't use he internet as far as we do or they are going to have some embarrassing content to read.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Death threats just seem to be the equivalent of "hello" these days. I've had a few myself.
I'LL FUCKING KILL YOU!!!

Mornin'.
=)

OP:OT:OR:OW:
If only internet celebrities announced who they were wherever they went, then we wouldn't have this kind of problem. Right?

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
About the tagline:

After being verbally abusive to a customer, the man behind a new controller accessory threatened Gabe of Penny Arcade.
I was just thinking: that makes it sound like the guy who invented the Avenger [http://miami.cbslocal.com/2011/04/15/inventive-teacher-gives-disabled-student-control/] IS Christoforo, which is rather unfair given the circumstances. A guy who invents a controller accessory for disabled people isn't really in the same league as a two-bit street thug asshole, you know? Normally I wouldn't bother pointing this out, but I feel bad that the reputation of an otherwise useful product is getting slandered on all the wwebsites just because it had the misfortune to cross paths with this dipshit.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
WhatHityou said:
Duh hell?

Who can possibly be this stupid? This is on par with those criminals that post facebook updates on there, "conquests." I demand an escapist seal of stupid ideas.

Poor dave, with a V. I hope he gets his controllers at some kind of reasonable speed now. I'm not 100% sure if the company will survive the reputation damage. I also totally agree that the law should get involved and he should at least be fined.

In all seriousness, If I was that kind of person, I would be compelled to take part in the bombing of his reputation. I hope the family doesn't use he internet as far as we do or they are going to have some embarrassing content to read.
yea this is probbly gona be the kiss of death for 2 companys(one deserving)
and one guy having any chance of working with anyone in the games industry again

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Flying Dagger said:
the fantastic legal system
Just wait until you end up having to deal with it. I'm probably a more upstanding citizen than you are (from your own admissions) and I have ZERO faith in what my government calls "justice" because of the one time I needed to go to court. The rest of your points aren't wrong, but don't be thinking Johny Law has got your back for all your idealism.