Update: PlayStation 4's Appearance Finally Unveiled

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Update: PlayStation 4's Appearance Finally Unveiled

Sony's next-gen console is ready to show you its stuff. Its high-tech, rhombus-shaped stuff.

Sony earned a lot of ire when it revealed the PlayStation 4 without ever showing the physical console. Well, the time has come - the next-gen system has a finalized look, and there's no better time to show it off than E3. If you're busy snarking about how it's a lot of fuss over a black box, you may want to hold your tongue. The PS4 has a radical design that's way more interesting than just some black box.

It's a black rhombus.

[gallery=1545]

More to come as the Sony E3 press conference continues!

Update: Sony has concluded their press conference by dropping the PS4's price point. The PlayStation 4 will sell for $399, undercutting the Xbox One by a clean hundred bucks. In other territories the price has been named as 399 Euros in Europe and 349 Pounds in the UK.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
At least the top isn't rounded I suppose for those who need to set things on top of it.

I guess this is the generation where all the consoles look like shit though.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Why are people so invested in how the consoles look?

It's relatively small and it has a flat top. That's enough for me to consider buying it when it's under $200 and there's a decent Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts on it.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
I guess Microsoft and Sony are both going for the big black box approach. Not sure how I feel about it, to be honest. And why do both consoles have to have a shiny side and a rough side? While I kind of like the sleek look (it just looks sleeker than the Xbox 1, to me) it also just seems very generic. Take a box and tilt it XD

**Edit**
BanicRhys said:
Why are people so invested in how the consoles look?

It's relatively small and it has a flat top. That's enough for me to consider buying it when it's under $200 and there's a decent Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts on it.
It depends on people's style. Outside of being a console, it is, essentially, a piece of furniture since it usually does sit out in the open. Also, people like stuff that look cool especially at the price that consoles tend to go for.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
When it's up sideways it actually looks pretty cool with that light down the center.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
The Xbox One certainly was far from impressive, being rather bulky and bland, but this is simply the silliest looking console I have ever seen. I honestly laughed when I saw it.

This is going to be one ugly console generation, isn't it?

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Nowhere Man said:
Well. At least it doesn't look like an old VCR.
Not sure how old you are, but I distinctly remember having some VCR's that looked a lot like that growing up.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Man, that thing looks really really awkward... And it is just a black box...

Do we know the price though?

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Best comment i've seen so far was "Its the xbox one but in italics" :)

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
AstylahAthrys said:
The Xbox One certainly was far from impressive, being rather bulky and bland, but this is simply the silliest looking console I have ever seen. I honestly laughed when I saw it.
Ah kids today. You haven't lived until you've seen the shit they released in the 70's. Hell, even stuff like the Famicom and Sega Master System were ugly as fuck.

Absolutely agree with you here though.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I'd like to say that I called it when I said it'd look like the newest Sony Bluray players:

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I;'m not personally concerned with how it looks, though it's nice to indeed see what it looks like so it's not just a big blank in my head anymore.

Now Sony, for the important bits please.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Ah... Okay...

It would have seemed to make slightly more sense for the top to be pitched forward if you were going to insist on doing things that way- easier access to the optical disk, less real-estate usage at the back of entertainment centers where space is at a premium and the user has to access wires- but I guess that will work.

It's not hideous. It looks fairly sleek. It will fade from perception when it's not in use. I guess that's about what we expect from most of our electronics, these days.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
I have seen the future, and it is in the shape of the parallelogram that nobody remembers after grade school.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
How it looks probably isn't going to matter to me if I buy it or not.

That being said....The Hell is that?

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Vivi22 said:
AstylahAthrys said:
Ah kids today. You haven't lived until you've seen the shit they released in the 70's. Hell, even stuff like the Famicom and Sega Master System were ugly as fuck.

Absolutely agree with you here though.
Oh, trust me, I know. My father's trove of old electronics has given me plenty of exposure, but I kind of have a thing for old electronics. Yeah, some older stuff is arguably uglier, but that gets a pass because of age. Even the wood paneling can get this pass (which I find tacky as all hell). I guess I would rather have this than an Atari 5200, but this is 2013! We should have outgrown butt ugly electronics! At least my PC is kinda sexy, if not a freaking monolith of computing power that goes up to my knees.

I'm really staring to be really happy I invested building in a top of the line Gaming PC.