Update: PlayStation 4's Appearance Finally Unveiled

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
CJ1145 said:
I have seen the future, and it is in the shape of the parallelogram that nobody remembers after grade school.
It's a parallelepiped, when it's in 3D like that it's a parallelepiped... station 4

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
For one thing, the PS4's design is beautiful. If your not into those shapes then fine, so be it. The fact is, it is a shell containing even uglier hardware. To be anything but simple would cost us the customer a lot more $$$. Then the argument would be reversed.
so...
Why are there so many people stuck on the cosmetic design of the consoles? The NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, Game Cube, XBOX, TurboGrafx-16, and Atari 2600 all were (F)ugly. The only system that enhanced the PIMP factor of your pad was the Sega Genesis, XBOX 360, PS3 (slim) and NEO GEO.

It isn't even the important part of the "video game" console.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
I dunno about you guys, but I actually think it looks rather nice. It looks better than the PS3 and 360 looked, that's for sure. Plus, it's not rounded on top, which is a plus because then I can stack my PS2 on top or something to save surface space on my desk's shelf.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Well it does look better than the Xbone at least, and it's fairly slick. Not sure about rhombus look, but it shouldn't cause any problems. Won't make me buy one but Sony is at least capitalizing on the massive bed-crapping MS went through recently.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
AstylahAthrys said:
Oh, trust me, I know. My father's trove of old electronics has given me plenty of exposure, but I kind of have a thing for old electronics. Yeah, some older stuff is arguably uglier, but that gets a pass because of age. Even the wood paneling can get this pass (which I find tacky as all hell). I guess I would rather have this than an Atari 5200, but this is 2013! We should have outgrown butt ugly electronics! At least my PC is kinda sexy, if not a freaking monolith of computing power that goes up to my knees.

I'm really staring to be really happy I invested building in a top of the line Gaming PC.
Got mine all lit up with green neon and a clear side so I can keep track on the dust buildup, plus it's got dual GTX 580s and 6 gigs of ram so that should last me a few years.

What's yours like?

P.S. yeah wood paneling on anything other than a really old radio is ugly as hell.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
OK... So... Uh, bland it is then. Well, consoles stopped looking interesting anyway right around the time everyone started using CD's...

Compare the complicated, rounded shapes of the N64 to the original playstation and you'll quickly see what I mean...
Then look at just about every disk based console made after that point (including Nintendo's, if you're considering the stylistic sensibilities of a single company...)

Ugh.

Disks ruined console design forever. XD

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008

Once upon a time, a company called atari decided to make another console...

rrichie28

Jun 11, 2013
well its the END FOR XBOX ONE now that sony will allow used games to play, sell, trade, share, not connected to internet to play games,etc......... XBOX will be forced to change or its the end!!!! This will be the first ps console i will buy unless xbox decides to give in, which i think they have no choice!!!

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
kajinking said:
AstylahAthrys said:
Oh, trust me, I know. My father's trove of old electronics has given me plenty of exposure, but I kind of have a thing for old electronics. Yeah, some older stuff is arguably uglier, but that gets a pass because of age. Even the wood paneling can get this pass (which I find tacky as all hell). I guess I would rather have this than an Atari 5200, but this is 2013! We should have outgrown butt ugly electronics! At least my PC is kinda sexy, if not a freaking monolith of computing power that goes up to my knees.

I'm really staring to be really happy I invested building in a top of the line Gaming PC.
Got mine all lit up with green neon and a clear side so I can keep track on the dust buildup, plus it's got dual GTX 580s and 6 gigs of ram so that should last me a few years.

What's yours like?

P.S. yeah wood paneling on anything other than a really old radio is ugly as hell.
It's black, for the most part, with some silver trim, but the front panel glows a really pretty blue and the venting looks pretty cool. That clear side is an awesome idea, though. I'll have to keep that in mind when I build another one once the hardware in this one gets too out of date. Not that any will be too outdated anytime soon!

... Oh no. This generation is going to turn me into a GLORIOUS PC MASTER RACE person, isn't it? Sony, Microsoft, pick up the slack here! I've always been a console gamer, and you're changing me!

I'm actually hoping someone releases a retro wood paneling skin for these consoles now, just to complete the retro feel.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
You know, I sort of like this. It reminds me of the architecture of the pre-human civilization from the Assassin's Creed series. Since I don't give a fuck what the Wii U looks like, I say PS4 wins the beauty contest for this generation.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
liam_whinery said:
For one thing, the PS4's design is beautiful. If your not into those shapes then fine, so be it. The fact is, it is a shell containing even uglier hardware. To be anything but simple would cost us the customer a lot more $$$. Then the argument would be reversed.
so...
Why are there so many people stuck on the cosmetic design of the consoles? The NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, Game Cube, XBOX, TurboGrafx-16, and Atari 2600 all were (F)ugly. The only system that enhanced the PIMP factor of your pad was the Sega Genesis, XBOX 360, PS3 (slim) and NEO GEO.

It isn't even the important part of the "video game" console.
I quite like it's look, especially when it's vertical with the blue stripe quite a nice look there and will fit well next to my other Playstations. Sofar so good Sony, keep it up!

Benedict

Feb 21, 2012
Guys, that's not what a rhombus is. The bisecting diagonals of a rhombus are perpendicular, and its sides are all congruent- the PS4 is just an ordinary parallelogram- or rather, since it's three-dimensional, a parallelepiped. Much more stylish than a blocky old rhombus.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I thought the Xbox One would win ugliest console of this generation for sure. Then I saw this...

Well, I guess that's one point to the WiiU. Now on to more important issues.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Ok, I see what you did there Sony and you know what? I like

Sure it's a black box but its tilted slightly! Which people will make fun of, but not me. . . mostly cos I'm going to stop typing now

-M

CyberMachinist

Oct 8, 2012
So anyone placing bets the next generation is going to be Edgier?

I'll leave now but not before i say this....... Does it come in silver and blueish-green?