UPDATE: PS3 Hacker GeoHot Claims He's on Vacation

Archwright

Dec 9, 2010
structurally_insane said:
Archwright said:
Rage omitted for brevity
we will support you? Don't you dare imply that I'd ever support someone not only encourages computer game piracy, but outright enables it. YOU will support him, maybe, but certainly not me. i don't want to see a future in which companies like Sony or Microsoft don't make computer games or consoles because they won't make money from it, I actually enjoy gaming. Support what Geohot did and you'll be supporting a gameless future.
I support what I feel is his, and our right to modify our consoles like we do our cars. Not everybody does it, and only select people can do it without voiding the warranty. That's all I'm really after. The people who bought the PS3 for the Other OS feature should be made whole.

This is totally different from piracy.

The following logic: Hacked consoles can play pirated games, therefore we should outlaw hacking consoles. Basically equates to the following: Drunks commit more crimes than sober people, therefore we should outlaw alcohol.

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
Y'know, when the previous article came out, we all just assumed he was fleeing the country. What evidence did we even have to go by to make this assumption? It reflects poorly on us. (Well, most of us. I imagine at least some of you probably figured he was just on vacation.)

Saldash

Oct 13, 2010
I do hope GeoHot is on a very nice vacation.. because Sony is (as I understand it) in the process of tracing & obtaining the download records for his software, and (again if I read correctly) will be able to charge him more or less on how wide-spread his code is.

Obviously the more widespread, the worse things get for him..

Also, if I may comment on an above post..
The trials and tribulations surrounding "ownership" of licensed products is infact, quite clear.
When you purchase a console for example, you own merely the right to use it, not to take apart what is essentially, someone else's property.

structurally_insane

Mar 23, 2011
Archwright said:
structurally_insane said:
Archwright said:
Rage omitted for brevity
we will support you? Don't you dare imply that I'd ever support someone not only encourages computer game piracy, but outright enables it. YOU will support him, maybe, but certainly not me. i don't want to see a future in which companies like Sony or Microsoft don't make computer games or consoles because they won't make money from it, I actually enjoy gaming. Support what Geohot did and you'll be supporting a gameless future.
I support what I feel is his, and our right to modify our consoles like we do our cars. Not everybody does it, and only select people can do it without voiding the warranty. That's all I'm really after. The people who bought the PS3 for the Other OS feature should be made whole.

This is totally different from piracy.

The following logic: Hacked consoles can play pirated games, therefore we should outlaw hacking consoles. Basically equates to the following: Drunks commit more crimes than sober people, therefore we should outlaw alcohol.

Uh-huh. Except people don't modify their cars to steal from the automotive industry, whereas people who modify/hack their consoles DO do it to steal from the computer games industry by using pirated games. Hacking a console should be made illegal as it supports/enables piracy, end of. Also anyone who commits a crime while drunk is just as capable of commiting a crime while sober. Congratulations, you've just lost two arguments.