[UPDATE] Rumor: Multiplayer Creeping Into Silent Hill

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Well, this news just shot a 10 centimeter hole through my heart...

I mean, it could be good... but I've been disappointed so many times my heart can't bare another massive letdown...

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Oh for "God's" sake! The whole thing about Silent Hill, and one of the things they've consistantly done well, is loneliness!! Why the hell would they add multiplayer? Multiplayer is never scary!

Konami, just give up and sell the IP to the people that made Amnesia.

alfawx

Nov 1, 2010
Shirokurou said:
alfawx said:
I had high hopes for Downpour. I kept telling myself that it might be a return to the good old actually scary Silent Hill games with pacing and atmosphere and scarce ammo. I do believe I'm going to cry now.
Dude...
"Marek said that there definitely won't be a multiplayer component in Downpour, the 8th game in the Silent Hill series that will use water to horrify a prison inmate on the loose. However, he didn't rule it out when it comes to the series in general."
Don't Cry.
Oh, thanks... my brain doesn't start until noon and I suppose that applies to reading now too. Heh...

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Fingers crossed it doesn't end up like Resident Evil 4 multiplayer options.
The nightmares! Let them stop!

Krat Arona

Jul 12, 2010
This has me worried... I'm sure the guys at Konami could make it work but having someone you can count on just feels like a foreign concept for Silent Hill. For a good reason too, you are supposed to feel helpless. But maybe it could work for an extra chapter like they say. Or hell, maybe one person can be in control of the evil of the town! Fat chance I'm sure, but it's an interesting idea, no?

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
aegix drakan said:
Multiplayer Silent hill?

.....I dunno. A game gets a lot less scary when you have another player helping you. Not to mention I don't want another Dead Space 2 Multiplayer. >_>
idk, I think it could work very good if it was done like in Obscure

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Horny Ico said:
aegix drakan said:
Multiplayer Silent hill?

.....I dunno. A game gets a lot less scary when you have another player helping you. Not to mention I don't want another Dead Space 2 Multiplayer. >_>
Hate to defend multiplayer, but nobody said anything about helping.
Even then, though, they're *there*.

The thing about Silent Hill is so much of the horror is based around being alone. Like Yahtzee said, even the monsters just feel like toys, you still have the crushing sense of loneliness that turns the horror up to 10.

Thus, even if the multiplayer is combative you're not going to make it scary. I mean, there might be a monster shambling towards you, but as long as you know that there's xxxWeedmastaKxxx somewhere inside there, it won't be very good.

That's not saying that it won't be fun, it just won't be Silent Hill. It's like the difference between Resident Evil and SH, eh?

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Silent Hill: Outbreak File 1

Unless they come up with something never seen before it's bound to suck.

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
I was under the impression the very foundation of Silent Hill is loneliness and solitude...

That's what makes the games so damn good. The way they make you feel by putting you through traumatizing events alone.

Also, the combat blows. Why the hell would you put multiplayer in Silent Hill... makes no sense.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH

Konami hates Silent Hill I swear, remember how they almost cancelled the first one because they weren't sure people would play it? Remember how they halved production time on Silent Hill 3, forcing them to reuse a lot of textures? That's forgetting of course the two reboots of the first game, neither of which were actually remakes (which, as Resident Evil: Remake proved, can be done fantastically).

The combat in the games have never been able to balance skill/basic movement and enemy attacks, let alone how real human beings move. It's about survival, not kicking ass and bragging to your friends. Besides the logistical problems, this idea undermines everything that Silent Hill is about! If they want to try weird things like this, they could just create a new IP. Stop diluting Silent Hill.

Please be just a silly rumour. Please, please.

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
If they're going to insist on multiplayer, I have one idea that might work.
If it was coop with 2 people traversing the same area, but one was stuck in the nightmare version of silent hill, and one is stuck in the "real" silent hill. It could change back and forth at certain intervals, and somebody in one part would have to do things to affect the world in the other, and find ways to communicate.
Would be very difficult to pull off and be fun, but anything else is going to be crap anyway.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
The thing that makes Silent Hill scary is that you are utterly alone in an alien place. Throwing in extra people would ruin that. If they DID insist on doing this, then there are two rules that need to be put in place:

If you die, YOU ARE DEAD. No rescuing from a closet, no reviving after a set amount of time. Dead. Done. Finished. And your death has to hurt the team so badly that they will try to save you instead of just running for their lives.

When you die, no more talking. You mic gets cut off and you can't chat with the other players. No giving hints, no making jokes to ease the tension.

These things must be put in place to try and keep the feeling of Silent Hill intact, but for the record I still think multiplayer is a bad idea.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
And with that the final nail has nestled itself firmly into the coffin.

Let us all bow our heads in prayer for the loss of this distinguished property. Farewell, Silent Hill. May you rest in peace.

Kecunk

Feb 8, 2011
This could work if done properly but i guess that could be said about any game concept.

I think the best way to do it would be to drop 2-4 players alone in to a reasonably sised portion of the town and give them each seperate random objectives. The objective would all realate to a central item or npc or soething like that so the characters will have to interact but some people will have conflicting objectives so you never know who you can trust.

Here's a scenario off the top of my head.

A woman goes to silent hill to find some item.

Player 1's objective is to rescue the woman but she won't leave until she finds what she's looking for so you have to help her find it and then get her out of the town alive.

Player 2's objective is to kidnap the woman and bring her to his secret hideout on the outskirts of town.

player 3's objective is to get at something that is behind a locked door and the woman has the key but she won't give it to you unless you help her find what she is looking for. so you can team up with player 1 to help her, help her on your own if you get to her before player 1 or if player 2 get to her first than you'll need to fight him to get the key or maybe bargain for it or something or just try to take it by force and conflict with player 1 ect.

And Player 4 wants to get the thing the woman is looking for and keep it for himself.

Obviously the idea could use some work but i think it could lead to some interesting situations for example.

You're player 2 and you find the woman but player 1 got to her first and he has a gun you only have a knife so insted of just attacking him you walk up and say that your objectives is also to help the woman and you should work together and then you wait until he's more vulnerable to betray him.

I think this will help keep the psychological aspects that everybody says multiplayer will ruin. since instead of it being "me and a buddy shooting a bunch of monsters in the face" it will be "me and some guy who could stab me in the back at any moment shooting monsters in the face"

XIGBARx13

Nov 19, 2009
Hmmm.... idk what to think about this. On one hand, I know in my heart that a Silent Hill game should NEVER EVER be multiplayer, that much is true. On the other hand, if it is real, it's not like it would be a a part of SH Downpour, so the developer would still be completely focused on delivering an amazing single-player experience.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
aegix drakan said:
Multiplayer Silent hill?

Have you even played Resident Eil Outbreak its a really good multiplayer survival horror since we had to gather items and not get bitten in order to help each other out and not to mention thanatos was one scary bos with a scary tune.

Personally i welcome this aspect of gameplay to silent hill since ive wanted the chance to play multiplayer survival horror again.