[UPDATE] Rumor: Multiplayer Creeping Into Silent Hill

Skylants

Mar 10, 2010
I might work if, say, to complete an objective the players are forced to split up and the mics get quieter the further the players are from each other. It keeps the loneliness factor and might lead to cleverer and more involved puzzles.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Silent Hill multiplayer is like giving James Cameron production rights to make a film adaptation of "At the Mountains of Madness".
Wait a minute...

[HEADING=1]THAT ALREADY HAPPENED.[/HEADING]

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
Perhaps if you never actually saw the other player, though I don't know how that would work. Parallel worlds maybe?
Ooh, now that's an interesting idea. One person in regular SH, one in the alternate version helping or helping eachother, leaving messages and clues, etc.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Silent hill is not going to work if they make a gears of war style multiplayer. As much as I would to see Blair Witch style videos of everyone's experiences in it, It would not fit Silent Hill.

If it uses the Demon's Souls style of multiplayer, then it could work. Silent Hill games are about the two worlds that exist in the same place and time and the effects the worlds have on each other. Demon's Souls multiplayer gives you the opportunity to play through your own game, but it also gives you images of the other worlds that exist at the same moment.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
A Cop-Op or Versus mode?
What made SH So scary (For me, then again I'm a Pansy Growing Pansy who get's thrilled by paint drying) was that the monsters weren't humanoid (With the exception of a few) and didn't have persoanlities, they were parts of the character's flaws and past, having the monsters player controlled or having a partner kind off defeats the whole porpuse of the concept.
Oh well, if it's well executed, it's gonna be great, if it's terrible, I'm going to throw all my SH games in the trash since in the current state that the series is in, It's hanging by a thread.

EDIT : Look at what Happened to RE5. A partner/Companion defeats the whole porpuse of Silent Hill, Silent Hill is basically like being locked in a small room with something that hates your guts. Intriguing, Interesting, and Scary. Being Locked in a small room with something that "Likes" you kind of defeats the whole point.
And since there's 2 players, there's gonna have to be more weapons around, defeating the whole pointof the "Frantic-Hard To get Resources-Scary" Nature that Surival Horror introduced to Action games.
SH + Multiplayer = Big flaily mess that defeats the Whole point of the entire Franchise.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
StriderShinryu said:
DeadlyYellow said:
Perhaps if you never actually saw the other player, though I don't know how that would work. Parallel worlds maybe?
Ooh, now that's an interesting idea. One person in regular SH, one in the alternate version helping or helping eachother, leaving messages and clues, etc.
It worked in Demon's Souls, so I don't see why it won't work here!

gundamrx101

Nov 19, 2010
It could work like StriderShinryu pointed out but personally, I think they should just focus on getting Silent Hill back on track and making a strong single player experiance before even thinking about a MP for the series.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I'm going to look at all of you people complaining and i'm going to point you to Resident evil outbreak. It's gotten highly recommended by all of my friends and if they do the same with this game it could be awesome.

And for the people complaining about how it won't be scary, maybe, just maybe, they won't be trying to scare you so much in that game. Might be a thought there, maybe they actually want you to not be as scared as before, just tense.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
dogstile said:
I'm going to look at all of you people complaining and i'm going to point you to Resident evil outbreak. It's gotten highly recommended by all of my friends and if they do the same with this game it could be awesome.

And for the people complaining about how it won't be scary, maybe, just maybe, they won't be trying to scare you so much in that game. Might be a thought there, maybe they actually want you to not be as scared as before, just tense.
You do know that Silent Hill is built on horror, right? That it's probably the defining scary game series? Trying to take the scares out of Silent Hill is like trying to take guns out of Halo. You do that, and you have nothing left.
Odd, I thought that was what people considered resident evil was until outbreak and the newer ones game out.

I must be mistaken. I mean damn, hang a developer for trying something new why don't cha?

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
No, no, no, no, no, and hell no!

Never once did I ever think that my experience would be better if it had multiplayer or co-op, never. I don't want to play it with a friend, that would make the game less scary, in my opinion.

If they do add it in, consider it, the multiplayer, ignored.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
ScourgeOfHell said:
Oh Please God no. insubstantial and redundant multiplayers have consumed so many otherwise good singleplayer games, not Silent hill
Ha ha. It's like your avatar is screaming those words too.

I think multiplayer Silent Hill could work, especially as an XBLA title, but things become less scary when you're not alone.

EDIT:
Kecunk said:
This is a REALLY good idea.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
Dfskelleton said:
Silent Hill multiplayer is like giving James Cameron production rights to make a film adaptation of "At the Mountains of Madness".
Wait a minute...
*snip*

[HEADING=1]THAT ALREADY HAPPENED.[/HEADING]
And then it got cancelled.

coolerthanice21

Feb 23, 2010
Multiplayer Silent Hill sounds even worse when you compare it to Resident Evil: Outbreak. Those games sucked, so anything like them would be a terrible mess.

conzan

Apr 16, 2010
no, no no oh god not this was my first thought but if done right (and i mean it has to be perfect) could be anything
"If you die, YOU ARE DEAD. No rescuing from a closet, no reviving after a set amount of time. Dead. Done. Finished. And your death has to hurt the team so badly that they will try to save you instead of just running for their lives.

When you die, no more talking. You mic gets cut off and you can't chat with the other players. No giving hints, no making jokes to ease the tension."
this sort of thing

oh and no co-op, for the love of god its not scary to go through with a buddy