Update: Saints Row IV Refused Classification in Australia

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
So not even 18 year olds, which are considered adults in most of the world, can play a videogame that rewards players for drug use?

How do you aussies live with it?

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
No excuse, australian classification board. R18 exists now. No other board has banned it. You look like a bunch of fucking morons, because you are. Sort it the fuck out.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Evil Smurf said:
If I get an over seas friend to preorder it on my behalf and (and cancel my own pre order) Would that work?
Yes, that's how I got the proper version of L4D2. I believe a box copy will work too or any CD key from one of those regions, however I'd like that confirmed if someone can do that?

Doom972 said:
So not even 18 year olds, which are considered adults in most of the world, can play a videogame that rewards players for drug use?

To be fair, it says "illicit" drug use with a positive result, so basically it's depicting illegal drugs in a positive way supposedly. While I personally don't agree I can see where they're coming from, they don't want media that encourages illegal drug use (among other crimes).

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
If you get it on PC and it has mod support... wouldn't that make the censoring pointless?

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Teoes said:
I thought the Australian Government had woken up and were winding down this sort of behaviour? Obviously not. Give it a day or two and you can get the content right back with mods - can/does the Government do anything with regards these? What about the typical/common mods for.. pretty much any Bethesda game - are any of them subject to this treatment or do they avoid it based on the fact that they're mods and aren't classified?

Also, a few in here seem to be advocating piracy. Schoolboy error..
The government doesn't stop possession of the games in their original form. I can (and will) buy a UK copy and play it in original form, with no risk as it is legal in NSW (only WA and NT are backwards that way). So mods would be even less of interest to them.

-Dragmire- said:
If you get it on PC and it has mod support... wouldn't that make the censoring pointless?
It isn't censorship, it is controlling what can be sold in our stores, possession of the games in their original form is not illegal except in 2 backwards states.

I would also like to point out the classification board are members of the public and aren't the government, this isn't the federal government saying no because they don't like it, it's members of the public who decide where it falls.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Doom972 said:

Binge drinking and taking a fuckload of drugs, often at the same time.

Reminds me of a few years back the federal govt tried to 'discourage underaged and binge drinking' by slapping a huge tax on premixed alcoholic beverages... Sure, the sales of premixes dropped like a stone but the sale of bottles of spirits and mixers spiked to roughly the same degree. That's the Australian way: anytime the govt puts some obstruction between you and something you want to do, take five minutes to have a sook about it then work your way around the obstacle.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
This this this this make me so FUCKING PISSED OFF after all the time and effort that we went through to get a R18+ rating and those FUCKING SHIT HEADS do this.

I HATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATE these laws we are adults we know what we can handle you can stop coddling us-stop shoving you "moral's" and "decency" down our throats-Morals are subjective,art is subjective you don't have THE FUCKING RIGHT to tell us what and what is not art and then censor it.

Your job is to protect us from harm video games regardless of what they contain can't hurt people-if someone does something bad after playing a game it is not the games fault as they were already fucked in the head to begin with if all it took to set them of was pixels-if that was the case anything would have set them off.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
And nothing of value was lost.

karloss01 said:
It not much of a loss, Saint Row 4 is just glorified DLC charging full price.
Which is especially bad, when you consider how small a game SRTT was.

What's this one going to be? ALL TUTORIAL MISSIONS?

I'm surprised there's enough content to get them a ban.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
CrossLOPER said:
RicoADF said:
To be fair, it says "illicit" drug use with a positive result, so basically it's depicting illegal drugs in a positive way supposedly. While I personally don't agree I can see where they're coming from, they don't want media that encourages illegal drug use (among other crimes).
So, blasting away civilians with attack helicopters is not a crime in Australia?
It's Australia. The wildlife does that 24-7. >.>

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
CrossLOPER said:
RicoADF said:
So, blasting away civilians with attack helicopters is not a crime in Australia?
Ofcourse not, I do it every day on my way home from work [/sarcasm]

Jokes aside, theres a difference between encouraging illegal drug use (which is a real problem in modern society) and fictional violence. I don't agree with the decision, but it's not without merits and if it bothers people enough then they can do what I'll be doing, importing it. Which I will repeat is legal. I will also point out that movies and TV shows have the exact same restrictions (they cannot portray illegal drugs in a positive light), and are also able to be imported legally. This isn't a double standard for games, it's how the classification board decides what goes on our store shelves. Nothing more.

EDIT: I will also point out that fictional drugs are fine, so are legal ones. That's why Fallout 3 changed to Med-X. Mechanically it was identical, they just renamed it to a (IMO) drug that fit the universe/theme better. They will likely do the same with SRIV.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
-Dragmire- said:
Atleast THQ is out of the picture since they weren't too mod happy. Volition even said now that they got picked up by Deep Silver they can help out modders with tools to fix things like this.

PS) PC is best for any RPG/sandbox game anyways

EeviStev

Mar 2, 2011
I believe it was Mark Twain who said: "Censorship is telling a man he can't have steak because a baby can't chew it."

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
What the fuck Australia? Seriously! Stop being so retarded. Why are you still censoring entertainment?
Heh, remember Germany with saints row 2? Good times.

NvrPhazed

Dec 8, 2010
dumbseizure said:
Adam Jensen said:
What the fuck Australia? Seriously! Stop being so retarded. Why are you still censoring entertainment?
I would really appreciate you distinguishing between people who run the classification board, and a whole fucking country thanks.
Not to be blunt but, I wish the rest of the world would do the same for the US (not that you do it, but I see it all the time on this site).

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
And nothing of value was lost.

karloss01 said:
It not much of a loss, Saint Row 4 is just glorified DLC charging full price.
Which is especially bad, when you consider how small a game SRTT was.

What's this one going to be? ALL TUTORIAL MISSIONS?

I'm surprised there's enough content to get them a ban.
indeed, for me Saints Row 3 was 2011's biggest disappointment of the year (and I own the DNF Collectors Edition), sure it was fun the first time through each mission but after that there was no replay value compared to Saints Row 1 & 2. they should have stuck with the format of Saints Row 2 where it was a blend of gritty and humour not go all nut balls for 10 missions and then its over.

Solve Media: slow down!

exactly what they should have down Solve. :D

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
This is just funny. When a game is "banned" in Australia all it means is that you can't buy it from EB games and other retailers. You can still import it and no one cares. It's a fuss over nothing.