Update: Sly Cooper Movie First Details and Screens Sneak Out

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Update: Sly Cooper Movie First Details and Screens Sneak Out

The Sly Cooper movie has its plot synopsis revealed, along with the first screens showing Sly, Bentley and Murray.

Sony's Sly Cooper adventure platformer series will be hitting the big-screen in the form of a CGI-animated film due in 2016. Today, the movie's official Facebook page revealed [https://www.facebook.com/SlyCooperMovie?fref=tck] the plot synopsis and screens showing us what Sly, Murray and Bentley will look like in the trio's film debut.

Sly Cooper is a kinetic and comedic heist film that tells the story of Sly Cooper, an orphaned raccoon thief, along with his childhood friends and partners in crime, Bentley Turtle and Murray Hippo. In the film, Sly learns of his birth family's secret legacy; that he comes from a long line of talented and international thieves. Endowed with this knowledge, Sly and his friends are catapulted into a global adventure as they race to reassemble pieces of an ancient book holding The Cooper Clan's family secrets before it can fall into the hands of Clockwerk - an evil Russian metallic owl bent on ending the Cooper family line. From romantic Parisian backdrops to the lush mountains of China, gritty film noir meets bright, colorful graphic novels in this origin story of the world's greatest thief-turned-hero.

From the looks of it, the plot won't deviate much from the first game's story -- though the same can't be said for Sly and company.

[gallery=2051]

Set for release in 2016, the Sly Cooper movie will be developed by Studio Blockade Entertainment in conjunction with Rainmaker Entertainment, while Kevin Munroe will be directing the animated film based on his own screenplay.

Source: NeoGAF [https://www.facebook.com/SlyCooperMovie?fref=tck]

Update: The Official PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/01/28/sly-cooper-animated-film-revealed/] has just released the first teaser trailer for the animated film and has revealed that it will also be released in 3D.

momijirabbit

Nov 2, 2012
Wow, this is ugly, like have they even looked at the source material? Ends up looking disrespectful rather then " Sly Cooper"

PBMcNair

Aug 31, 2009
How is this the first I'm hearing about this ? Nice to see a game adaptation at least try to stick to the original plot, although judging by the shot with Bentley in the van, they may be borrowing some elements from Sly 2.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
What odd designs, a little too realistic for my tastes, that Sly looks kinda creepy.

PBMcNair

Aug 31, 2009
momijirabbit said:
Wow, this is ugly, like have they even looked at the source material? Ends up looking disrespectful rather then " Sly Cooper"
Well, it isn't due out for two years so this is probably(read hopefully) early work. Sly does look a little... well "off". But he is supposed to be the young thief, just getting started so maybe thats why he looks a bit young. But I'm right with you on Murray, needs fixing pretty badly.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I don't know how I feel about this.

Sly Cooper to me always felt like more something for a tv show. The games basically are built upon many small heists building up to one overarching plot. I don't know if Sly and the gang can hold up a big movie. And not a huge fan of the style. It's not bad, but naturally when you take a cel-shaded cast and make them more realistic, it's going to be jarring. At least Sly looks better than in Playstation Move Heroes.

Another thing that feels funny is that this really looks like they're digging into the IP bin. Ratchet and Clank getting a movie I can understand as the games were quite popular this generation. Sly hasn't been doing much this generation other than a (decent) late generation game from a rookie studio that didn't sell great and received little marketing. I know Sly is a beloved Sony icon, but I am wondering WHY they chose him.

EDIT: Oh, and original cast plz. Kevin Miller, Matt Olson, and Chris Murphy practically ARE Sly, Bentley, and Murray. They seem to have so much chemistry too (look up their Sly Cooper skits on Miller's podcast. It's great lol)

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Disgusting. Fucking disgusting. What's more is I called this too on the other topic with Ratchet & Clank. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.406444-Movie-Trailers-Ratchet-and-Clank-Movie-Official-Trailer#16915926]

Fuck this industry. I got stung quite badly enough with that stupid fucking fanwank "Thieves in time", and now this. I'm officially DONE with franchises.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
You know, I'd wait to see how the Ratchet and Clank movie turns out before making a movie about another one of your mascots Sony. I mean, at least the Ratchet and Clank movie's animations actually look like the characters, mainly their Full Frontal Assault models, but the Sly just looks...weird. I'm reminded of a tall Rocket Raccoon when I see that Sly, and I'm pretty sure the Cooper Clan wasn't filled with psychos.

Oh, and if Clockwerk is messed up then I will be very upset, since Clockwerk was my favorite villain of the Sly series and I was very upset when:
When Neyla merged with Clockwerk and took over Clockwerk's body to become Clock-La. Clockwerk was awesome and only needed his brain to be complete, but sadly the possible strange reunion redo was short lived thanks to Neyla...>.>

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
I wouldn't mind this if it was the studio known for the games doing it. As it stands, I'm not sure if the Sony people making the movie have a good idea of what the games are all about, judging by the first bits. I'm not sure of the new looks, but the last thing they should be doing is trying to copy Dreamworks' style because reasons. Sly already has a style, and it wouldn't matter to me if they took Sucker Punch's or Sanzaru's look, as long as they kept things mostly the same.

I mean the Ratchet & Clank movie is being written by Insomniac and looks exactly like the games, so there's now a standard that this can be measured to. And right now the measurement is rather lacking. You make movies like this to cater to the people that played the games, and you're not catering to them if everything looks different and off.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Zombine3D said:
Cid SilverWing said:
Disgusting. Fucking disgusting. What's more is I called this too on the other topic with Ratchet & Clank. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.406444-Movie-Trailers-Ratchet-and-Clank-Movie-Official-Trailer#16915926]

Fuck this industry. I got stung quite badly enough with that stupid fucking fanwank "Thieves in time", and now this. I'm officially DONE with franchises.
at least the ratchet and clank movie looks authenic, like 'resident evil: degeneration'. You know, the game movie made to acompany the game.
Degeneration was kinda awful... Very similar to the games, yes, but similar in more of the action-driven, boulder-punching, oh-geez-this-is-ridiculous kind of way.

I put it on the same level as Advent Children. It was certainly no "Street Fighter II: Animated Movie".

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
As someone who always wanted to play but never could, sly cooper I like it. I'm not certain what sort of plot/story but the short they made of it looks like fun.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
This does look like fun. I was put off by the visuals at first, but got used to them halfway through the trailer.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
So a trailer was also released.

Yep, the gang didn't quite make it out of the cel-shading very well.

Aaaaand I'm now overwhelmingly disheartened that they got a new actor to play Sly.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Looks like it could be quite the decent animated movie

I hope that this, and the Ratchet and Clank movie turn out as a success.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Sly looks more like a cat than a racoon. And I don't know why they're making this when a perfectly decent Sly movie has already been made:

Raggedstar said:
So a trailer was also released.

Yep, the gang didn't quite make it out of the cel-shading very well.

Aaaaand I'm now overwhelmingly disheartened that they got a new actor to play Sly.
Ugh, I'm getting some bad TMNT flashbacks.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Hmmmm... I'm not digging the designs, but I am still willing to give this a shot. We'eve had times in the past where we "HATE" redesigns and the sort, but come to either love it or at least tolerate it. I'm a fan enough to look past it.

Though... looking at this whole thing now. Ratchet and Clank 2015. Sly Cooper 2016... Jak and Daxter 2017?

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Yyyyyeaaaa-No. Just no

I say fire whoever came up with that, set all the footage ON fire and either start over or give up. Not sure which