Update: Sly Cooper Movie First Details and Screens Sneak Out

Sellon88

Sep 15, 2013
This feels like it's the second age of video game movies. I think it's a good thing the idea of merging Gaming with movies again will put more story in some places yet to be looked at and lessen the stigma of the medium, and while this doesn't look promising I'm exited for more of these game movies.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
I just watched the trailer and to be honest, I like how they capture the tone and such well, but the characters' designs should probably go through a few revisions before they make the film. I like how they kept the original VAs though, at least for Bentley and Murray, and I hope this, and the Ratchet & Clank films, are good. We could use a few good game movies now.

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
I am bothered by Sly's voice change, but not simply because it doesn't sound like Sly. The voice actually is pretty good and fits the character well. The reason it bugs me is that the original voice actor, Kevin Miller, has made it clear he enjoys playing the role of sly and would be willing to do so until the day when he wasn't able to anymore. He even ran a campaign to turn Sly Cooper into an animated series, which would be an excellent direction for the series to go. It just bothers me that a perfectly good and capable voice actor who has had years to familiarize himself with the character being voiced could so quickly be booted out whenever Sony decides that he isn't fit for the job.

It bothers me especially since him and the characters who voice Murray and Bentley are now separated. It's just... weird to hear the classic voice of Bentley and Murray but then having Sly with a whole new voice altogether. It would almost be less jarring if the entire voice cast changed. I'm sure the new voice actor will do fine, no skin off of his back. I'm mostly annoyed with Sony's decision to do this sudden change because market research rather then having a real reason to.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
The designs seem odd at first, if and only because I'm used to the low poly fallpy gums version. But I'm not going to knock something out of the gate that looks good if I didn't know about the source material.

I'm not expecting a good movie as the same that I'm not expecting a good Ratchet and Clank movie, so if and when I "download" it I won't get my hopes up.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
GamerMage said:
Here's a better question that I never thought of until now: How was Neyla able to control Clockwerk so easily? If his brain was completed, why didn't he take over? Surely his hate toward the Cooper family could overwhelm her.
Clockwerk's parts were being put back together by Arpeggio, and they were locked back into place. The reason why Clockwerk didn't come back to life was because Arpeggio wanted Clockwerk's body to be his new one. Arpeggio was the gang member who had Clockwerk's brain, however he never put it back into Clockwerk's body because if he had the Clockwerk would have come back to life entirely and would've ruined both Arpeggio and Neyla's plans. Although I think Clockwerk had a fail safe because as the battle against Clock-La goes on the Hate Chip begins to take over her. It's possible that Clockwerk would have eventually overwritten Neyla's mind and regained control. However, once the Hate Chip was destroyed, Clockwerk's parts caught up with time and so Clockwerk was finally killed. Neyla was killed in the process as well.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
HHJFFGGHH wow, I can't remember the last time a movie trailer made me want to jump up and applaud, this might be the first. I prefer the original designs but I understand why they couldn't use them. EDIT: Wait is that a different actor for Sly? Well I'll still go see it when it comes out.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
momijirabbit said:
Wow, this is ugly, like have they even looked at the source material? Ends up looking disrespectful rather then " Sly Cooper"
Arqus_Zed said:
Huh.

So, they made the games cell shaded to make it look more like a cartoon... And now their making an animated film in which they try to enforce semi-realism?

Why? Why would you do that?

That said, the animation itself looks fun enough.
You can thank Pixar and Dreamworks for the change. Since their films are realistic digitally animated cartoons, Studio Blockade Entertainment/Rainmaker Entertainment didn't think that a cell shaded digitally animated film would sell, nor would it convert to 3D well, and Sucker Punch agreed, giving them permission to change the art style.

OT: I'm excited for this. Sly sounded a bit off when he started talking, Murray looks weird, and it's weirding me out that you can see Bently's eyes (and that they're not little beady eyes). And what are they going to about Carmilita? She's had a different voice actress in each game, and in Sly 4 she was made stupid sexy, so I don't know what to expect with her.

fat american

Apr 2, 2008
So, apparently Kevin Miller wasn't even asked to do the voice for this movie. When asked about it, the PR rep for the movie company said, " Wanted to say that it?s a completely different team. We (Blockade) helped bring in new talent for the film to make sure it was to the level we all want to see on the big screen!" So, apparently, the people that have done the voices for the characters since the first game, aren't up to snuff for movies. This really puts a damper on my excitement for this film.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Wow, there's some negativity in this thread!

I was quite excited when I saw the trailer. They've definitely nailed the sense of action, character personalities and overall feel of a Sly game. The visuals didn't offend me quite as much as some would infer although it probably would have worked better in a more cartoonish style. I'll keep an interested eye on this project.

Although I wonder how Rainmaker/Studio Blockade suddenly got hold of these two licenses. What's next?

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
soren7550 said:
momijirabbit said:
Wow, this is ugly, like have they even looked at the source material? Ends up looking disrespectful rather then " Sly Cooper"
Arqus_Zed said:
Huh.

So, they made the games cell shaded to make it look more like a cartoon... And now their making an animated film in which they try to enforce semi-realism?

You can thank Pixar and Dreamworks for the change. Since their films are realistic digitally animated cartoons, Studio Blockade Entertainment/Rainmaker Entertainment didn't think that a cell shaded digitally animated film would sell, nor would it convert to 3D well, and Sucker Punch agreed, giving them permission to change the art style.

OT: I'm excited for this. Sly sounded a bit off when he started talking, Murray looks weird, and it's weirding me out that you can see Bently's eyes (and that they're not little beady eyes). And what are they going to about Carmilita? She's had a different voice actress in each game, and in Sly 4 she was made stupid sexy, so I don't know what to expect with her.
Well, maybe you've seen Disney's animated short "Paperman"? Using 3D models to create something that looks like classic 2D animation. It was very well received, so I'm pretty sure that if Blockade Entertainment/Rainmaker Entertainment used something along those lines, it would sell - big time.

Also, I've played Sly 4, what do you mean by "Carmilita was made stupid sexy"? I mean, yeah, there was that silly "distract the guards by dressing up the one female character as a belly dancer"-routine, but that's about it.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Raggedstar said:
EDIT: Oh, and original cast plz. Kevin Miller, Matt Olson, and Chris Murphy practically ARE Sly, Bentley, and Murray. They seem to have so much chemistry too (look up their Sly Cooper skits on Miller's podcast. It's great lol)
Gonna have to parrot you there,

but also add that if they don't get Ross Douglas back as the voice of Clockwerk, somebody's gonna wake up with a raccoon head in their sleeping quarters.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Arqus_Zed said:
soren7550 said:
momijirabbit said:
Arqus_Zed said:
Huh.

Well, maybe you've seen Disney's animated short "Paperman"? Using 3D models to create something that looks like classic 2D animation. It was very well received, so I'm pretty sure that if Blockade Entertainment/Rainmaker Entertainment used something along those lines, it would sell - big time.

Also, I've played Sly 4, what do you mean by "Carmilita was made stupid sexy"? I mean, yeah, there was that silly "distract the guards by dressing up the one female character as a belly dancer"-routine, but that's about it.
True, Paperman was phenomenal, but from what I remember, it was difficult to make and was experimental. So I doubt that anyone other than the Disney animation studio is really able to make a full length movie looking like that for the time being.

And by stupid sexy, this is what I mean:

Admittedly, she was already designed to be a bit sexy, but they ramped it up a lot in 4. She now dons a mini skirt and itty bitty boob tube, she ditches her combat boots for high heel buckle boots, her jacket is smaller, and she now has a stereotypical feisty sexy Latino voice (granted, her voice actress has changed in every game).