[UPDATE] Sony and Rockstar: Neither L.A. Noire Nor Firmware Overheating PS3 Consoles

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Moriarty70 said:
I didn't know if it was the game or the toy, but this case was burning up the city and water was worth more than a diamond ring.
A gritty noir remark? Awesome.

A dame walked into my office. She was the gamer type, calloused thumbs, glasses, Gears of War t-shirt. She looked me right the eyes and said, "My 360 died. Rockstar says it isn't their fault. I want to know whose it is. And I want to know now."

I opened my desk, took out a bottle of whiskey and took a swig. This town is filled with hype, lies, DRM, red rings, stolen identities, broken childhoods, shitty sequels, and Terms of Service that are an offense to the Constitution and human decency. Wading through the shattered dreams and lies of this seedy industry takes a lot out of man. It takes a lot out of his soul. And honestly, I just don't know if I'm willing to take that plunge again.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
Well, could it be something like <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102465-Blizzard-Offers-Fix-for-StarCraft-Computer-Melting-Bug>what Starcraft 2 had at launch where they just forgot to cap the framerate and is melting certain PS3's for some reason?

I might not get L.A. Noire now until a patch is available, don't want me precious PS3 melting.

Live4Lotus

Dec 5, 2009
I've been saying it for more than a year now...Sony is lowering fan speeds in fat models with firmware updates in a bid to kill them off. If the system is overheating, then it is a problem with the console or the firmware...no game code, no matter how bad, should cause a system to overheat unless that system was not designed to handle the heat that it generates under full load. The only way that could happen is if they made something like speedfan and wrote it into the game code...and that isn't the case, because that would only affect one platform, not both. Microsoft isn't innocent in this, but I have been sticking to the PS3 side and letting others deal with the 360 side, so that is where my knowledge is.

Rockstar is only guilty of making a game that uses the platform fully; that is not a problem...that is an ideal. The problem is firmly on Sony/Microsoft, and there are DIY solutions to both sets of issues. Please, please, please DO NOT bash Rockstar or fill their inbox with complaints, as it might cause them to rethink making a game all that it can be in the future. If this is happening to you, send Sony/M$ your hate mail, and then fix the fan speed yourself; neither Sony nor Microsoft are dumb enough to admit that they are intentionally killing systems...and without an admission of guilt, there will be no change in their policy. If you want something done about it, then do it yourself!

http://killerbug666.wordpress.com/

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Live4Lotus said:
I've been saying it for more than a year now...Sony is lowering fan speeds in fat models with firmware updates in a bid to kill them off. If the system is overheating, then it is a problem with the console or the firmware...no game code, no matter how bad, should cause a system to overheat unless that system was not designed to handle the heat that it generates under full load. The only way that could happen is if they made something like speedfan and wrote it into the game code...and that isn't the case, because that would only affect one platform, not both. Microsoft isn't innocent in this, but I have been sticking to the PS3 side and letting others deal with the 360 side, so that is where my knowledge is.

Rockstar is only guilty of making a game that uses the platform fully; that is not a problem...that is an ideal. The problem is firmly on Sony/Microsoft, and there are DIY solutions to both sets of issues. Please, please, please DO NOT bash Rockstar or fill their inbox with complaints, as it might cause them to rethink making a game all that it can be in the future. If this is happening to you, send Sony/M$ your hate mail, and then fix the fan speed yourself; neither Sony nor Microsoft are dumb enough to admit that they are intentionally killing systems...and without an admission of guilt, there will be no change in their policy. If you want something done about it, then do it yourself!

http://killerbug666.wordpress.com/
Are you being serious?! You really think that both Sony and Microsoft deliberately update their console firmware so as to intentionally lower fan speed in order to cause premature death of their console?! Even though planned obsolescence already guarantees that the useful lifespan of a console won't be more than a few years? And even though the profit margin on a PS3 is slim to nonexistent? And even though the evidence of that alleged illegal conduct would be easily found in the updating code? And if actually caught doing something like that, they be standing neck-deep in boiling hot water? C'mon, man. A good conspiracy theory has to be a teensy-weensy bit believable.

Sabinfrost

Mar 2, 2011
Haven't had any issues yet, will keep an eye on the thing to see if problems occur. I don't usually have my Playstation hooked up to the net, that could have something to do with it, less background activity, I noticed that was a suggestion on the blog.

robobengt

Jan 25, 2010
Ian Caronia said:
JDKJ said:
Ian Caronia said:
*snip*
OP: LA Noire (it's "noir" not "noire". The game isn't French so why is it spelled that way?) *snip*
That's an interesting question. The name's based on the cinematic genre of "film noir" which is French for "black film" and, while "noir" and "noire" both appear in French, "film noir" is never "film noire."
Wow, you're right. I didn't realize how much of a screw up it was until just now. I was wondering why all those classic noir films didn't get called "noire" alternatively or something.
Thanks for the reply, JDKJ! Now I have something to chuckle about, and I can avoid making the same mistake in the future should I experiment with a classic noir feel for a short story.
I'm not so sure this is a screw up.
Adjective

noir m (feminine singular noire
I'm guessing film is a masculine word, while LA is not.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
robobengt said:
Ian Caronia said:
JDKJ said:
Ian Caronia said:
*snip*
OP: LA Noire (it's "noir" not "noire". The game isn't French so why is it spelled that way?) *snip*
That's an interesting question. The name's based on the cinematic genre of "film noir" which is French for "black film" and, while "noir" and "noire" both appear in French, "film noir" is never "film noire."
Wow, you're right. I didn't realize how much of a screw up it was until just now. I was wondering why all those classic noir films didn't get called "noire" alternatively or something.
Thanks for the reply, JDKJ! Now I have something to chuckle about, and I can avoid making the same mistake in the future should I experiment with a classic noir feel for a short story.
I'm not so sure this is a screw up.
Adjective

noir m (feminine singular noire
I'm guessing film is a masculine word, while LA is not.
You guessed wrong. "L.A." is an abbreviation of "Los Angeles" (i.e, "The Angels"). As indicated by the masculine article "los," "angeles" is a masculine noun. If it was a feminine noun, it would have the feminine article "las" (as in "Las Vegas").

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
[UPDATE] Sony and Rockstar: Neither L.A. Noire Nor Firmware Overheating PS3 Consoles

Sony says Rockstar Games wrongly accused the 3.61 firmware update of overheating PS3 consoles during play of L.A. Noire.

According to reports, a small number of users playing Rockstar Games' restoration [http://www.amazon.com/L-Noire-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0J5UQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305813593&sr=8-1] of the PlayStation Network. Now, Sony is saying it's an issue with the game itself and not the PS3's firmware.

Sony told Edge "unequivocally" that there are no issues with the 3.61 firmware update. Rockstar said it had confirmed with multiple games that its very own PS3 consoles were overheating or freezing only when 3.61 was installed, primarily with older 80GB and 60GB models, but has since retracted its statement (available through cache here [http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:DzwN0zzQ4QoJ:support.rockstargames.com/entries/20127883-ps3s-shutting-themselves-off-while-playing-l-a-noire+rockstar+games+l.a.+noire+ps3+firmware&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com]).

"As with the release of any System Update, we will invariably see a very small number of users whose console has failed following updating their console, which is an unfortunate coincidence," Sony said. "Rockstar have now updated their FAQ on the matter, have admitted that it is a fault with their latest title L.A. Noire and have offered a workaround."

"It should also be noted that the issue with this title is not PS3 specific and is also affecting other consoles," Sony added. Rockstar's support page now features instructions [http://support.rockstargames.com/entries/20126677-what-to-do-if-you-are-crashing-or-freezing-in-l-a-noire] for owners of both the PS3 and Xbox 360 that experience issues while playing L.A. Noire.

Rockstar Games either jumped the gun on the issue, or Sony challenged its evidence and laid the smackdown. If you've picked up L.A. Noire, just save as often as you can and keep an eye on your console so you don't have to solve its murder too.

*Update*: Sony and Rockstar have issued a joint statement on the PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/19/rockstar-games-and-sony-joint-statement-on-l-a-noire] that "confirms" neither L.A. Noire nor the 3.61 firmware update are causing PS3 consoles to overheat (nor Xbox 360s?). Whether that's a load of malarkey or not is unsure, so stay vigilant during your interrogations and contact Sony or Rockstar support if you face any issues.

Source: Edge [http://www.next-gen.biz/news/report-la-noire-to-blame-for-consoles-overheating]

Just the same lets test this on another platform like the PC just to be sure ;)

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
The heat is coming from the dozens of hackers simultaneously trying to get into your PS3. It's like a crowded elevator.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Ian Caronia said:
qwerty19411 said:
Tom Goldman said:

Sony says Rockstar Games wrongly accused the 3.61 firmware update of overheating PS3 consoles during play of L.A. Noire.

According to reports, a small number of users playing Rockstar Games' restoration [http://www.amazon.com/L-Noire-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0J5UQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305813593&sr=8-1] of the PlayStation Network. Now, Sony is saying it's an issue with the game itself and not the PS3's firmware.

Sony told Edge "unequivocally" that there are no issues with the 3.61 firmware update. Rockstar said it had confirmed with multiple games that its very own PS3 consoles were overheating or freezing only when 3.61 was installed, primarily with older 80GB and 60GB models, but has since retracted its statement (available through cache here [http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:DzwN0zzQ4QoJ:support.rockstargames.com/entries/20127883-ps3s-shutting-themselves-off-while-playing-l-a-noire+rockstar+games+l.a.+noire+ps3+firmware&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com]).

"As with the release of any System Update, we will invariably see a very small number of users whose console has failed following updating their console, which is an unfortunate coincidence," Sony said. "Rockstar have now updated their FAQ on the matter, have admitted that it is a fault with their latest title L.A. Noire and have offered a workaround."

"It should also be noted that the issue with this title is not PS3 specific and is also affecting other consoles," Sony added. Rockstar's support page now features instructions [http://support.rockstargames.com/entries/20126677-what-to-do-if-you-are-crashing-or-freezing-in-l-a-noire] for owners of both the PS3 and Xbox 360 that experience issues while playing L.A. Noire.

Rockstar Games either jumped the gun on the issue, or Sony challenged its evidence and laid the smackdown. If you've picked up L.A. Noire, just save as often as you can and keep an eye on your console so you don't have to solve its murder too.

*Update*: Sony and Rockstar have issued a joint statement on the PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/19/rockstar-games-and-sony-joint-statement-on-l-a-noire] that "confirms" neither L.A. Noire nor the 3.61 firmware update are causing PS3 consoles to overheat (nor Xbox 360s?). Whether that's a load of malarkey or not is unsure, so stay vigilant during your interrogations and contact Sony or Rockstar support if you face any issues.

Source: Edge [http://www.next-gen.biz/news/report-la-noire-to-blame-for-consoles-overheating]

Time to go to work, work all night.
Search for underpants we.
We won't stop until we have underpants.
Lots of yummy pants we.

Of all the asinine things I've heard in my life, I just don't understand this. So instead of finger-pointing, they end up with their hands on each others shoulders while customers continue to have overheating and playability issues? Unacceptable.
I can't agree more. I'm just as shocked!
"Sony did it!"
Sony: "Fuck you, jackass. We're going to point out how it's your fault."
RStar: "But that'll ruin our sales and show us to be assholes (since we blamed Sony when cases of it popped up on the 360 too. major herp-derp)! Come on, Sony. You know you can use the cash. We gave you exclusive content and everything."
Sony: "Well, we do love money... Okay, we'll partner up."

*at the same time, with their hands in each other's ass pockets* Sony&RStar: "Looks like everything is OOOOKAAAAY! AAAAHAHAHA!"

...But seriously, fuck Sony for being so damn shysty and fuck RStar for being so blatantly shysty as always. How they can be a favorite developer is beyond me.
I don?t see what?s so shocking. It was bound to come to this... And a whole lot worse. Sony knows R* isn?t going to back down (especially after working for years on it) and R* knows Sony wont back down (especially right after the whole psn fiasco). The one thing they can count on is a legion of fanboys who will not only back down but lick their boots and buy new consoles if theirs gets fried.
I can?t say I?m surprised at all. I only hope they?re making a mistake of depending on the faith of fanboys too much and this turns around to royally bight them both in the ass.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Petromir said:
Pipotchi said:
Petromir said:
Pipotchi said:
Ha I like entry number six on the Rockstar FAQ

"6. Try your L.A. Noire disc in a different console or try a different L.A. Noire disc in your console to determine with certainty whether the issue could be with the disc or console, rather than the software."

Oh good I will just run out and buy another copy of a game that might not work or pop the game in my backup PS3 I keep around for just such occasions
/Facepalm

Because nobody has mates with consoles, or indeed 360 owners dont have a couple of disks.......

Just because a instruction is useless to you doenst make it useless to all.
So you're saying that expecting your customers to run around to their friends house to test your products is reasonable

/Facepalm indeed
Offering it as a potential way to find such things out is entirely reasonable, theya rent forcing anyone to do anything. And I'm sure many would prefer this than sending their console away to be fixed only to find out the console is fine 3 or 4 weeks later. Its a suggestion not a command.

THere are precious few ways to identify whether a particualr console or copy of the game might be casuing an issue, and this is for many the least painful way of doing this.

Half the battle in problem solving is identifying whats wrong, and since theres a number of potential issues here trying to fix the problem without knowning what the problem is, and therefore in this case whos responsibility it is to fix it is pretty damn important. If the parictular consoles faulty because of an update, no matter how many discs rockstar send out its not going to fix it, if the discs faulty then no matter how many repairs or replcaements sony do the issues going to reoccur.

So no I don't think that to help fix an issue not everyones having, suggesting a step to help identify whats up is unreasonable, as long as they don't refuse to continue support if you don't.
Fair enough, I have been convinced by a well reasoned and thought out argument. Kudos to you good sir.

I still thoughtthe original FAQ sounded funny though :)

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
*Update*: Sony and Rockstar have issued a joint statement on the PlayStation Blog that "confirms" neither L.A. Noire nor the 3.61 firmware update are causing PS3 consoles to overheat (nor Xbox 360s?).
Oh. So I guess there's no problem, then.

*blink* *blink*

"Nothing to see here, move along..."

wehrp3nguin

Dec 21, 2009
1)People Play these games for hours on end.
2)Normally huge "AAA" games come out in September~December, when it's cool.
3)It's May, which means it's getting to summer temperatures.
4)People don't properly ventilate their system(open windows when it's breezey/ AC/ clean vents.), and the stuff overheats.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Hey hey hey! Burning down systems while playing uber-awesome games is the turf of us PC gamers! Get off my lawn you bloody console owners!

What? ArmA 3 has been announced? I can almost smell the burnt silicon...

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Now hang on here. These consoles are not like computers. This should not be happening. Sure when you mix hardware some updates will break something but these ALL HAVE THE SAME HARDWARE.

erztez

Oct 16, 2009
EHKOS said:
Now hang on here. These consoles are not like computers. This should not be happening. Sure when you mix hardware some updates will break something but these ALL HAVE THE SAME HARDWARE.
Uhh...no
just...no
current gen consoles ARE computers, just crippled to the point of being almost useless.

And by computers, I presume you meant PCs, because, well...everything with a CPU in it is a computer, because it computes. QED.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Just Sony's one poor design decision for the PS3 coming back to bite 'em in the ass. The fan that comes stock just doesn't move enough air to cool the system under heavy stress, and the thermal compound they put on the heat sink isn't conductive enough. I guess they figured they had to cut production costs somewhere on a machine that debuted at $500... but cooling was not the place to cut 'em. Personally, I think they should have put a more powerful fan in the thing from the start with quality thermal compound and just charged $550.

...oh, and now they're trying to pull the proverbial wool over the eyes of folks who don't have the inclination to research this sort of thing.