Update: Square Enix May Have Axed Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Halfstache

Feb 3, 2012
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117546-UPDATE-Final-Fantasy-Versus-XIII-Becomes-FF15

didn't we just have this same discussion last month?

Mistilteinn

Jul 14, 2012
Halfstache said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117546-UPDATE-Final-Fantasy-Versus-XIII-Becomes-FF15

didn't we just have this same discussion last month?
The surprising thing to me is that some people immediately believed it was true. The odds of this being true are just as slim, if you ask me.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
kurupt87 said:
SkarKrow said:
kurupt87 said:
Why kill the one that looked good and make two sequels to the one that was shit? The mind boggles.
Because the two sequels to the one that was shit will be easier to produce and sell. Rather than Nomura's 6 year old vaporware.

Honestly I cared about Versus 13 a few years ago and was excited for it.
But oh well maybe now we can have a good FF game rather than 13 dragging it's half dead carcass about for even longer.
I kind of got the impression that Nomura with Versus was like Peter Molyneux with, well, anything. Except, he wasn't promising it to us he was promising it to himself, chasing rainbows so to speak.

I don't understand why after the critical failure of 13 they didn't switch focus to versus and get that out rather than try and resurrect 13. Why would I buy a sequel to a bad game?

Sigh, it did look good. I just mean the atmosphere/tone of the thing.

And about 13, haven't they only just announced/rumoured that second sequel?
I have no idea, I read something somewhere about a XIII-3 and I just don't see the point.

Tell you what I'd buy: X prequel.
With Auron, Braska and Jecht.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Good, now remake/reboot Spirits Within, but less bad. It's the only thing I want from Enix.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
Oh SE...

This happens when you announce a dozen games a year. Sooner or later you reach a point where your game teams consist of one guy sitting in a closet writing code.

The way things are going I think we're seeing the slow death spiral of SE. It's sad to see just because I have a lot of good memories of their games over the years. However, all those memories are at least one console generation old. With that said you can't say that they didn't do it to themselves.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
Between the delays of other projects, nothing new being shown at conferences, and their constant tip-toeing around the XIII project for years, I honestly don't give a damn about Versus XIII anymore.

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
kurupt87 said:
Why kill the one that looked good and make two sequels to the one that was shit? The mind boggles.
I certainly hope you aren't saying Type-0 is a sequel to XIII, because it isn't. And, Type-0 was actually very, very good.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
ZiggyE said:
kurupt87 said:
I certainly hope you aren't saying Type-0 is a sequel to XIII, because it isn't. And, Type-0 was actually very, very good.
No, he's referencing FF XIII-2 and XIII-3 which is due to be announced.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I don't see what the big deal is. I have seen the gameplay and it doesn't look that impressive - it's a typical action RPG. I've played a ton of those. The Final Fantasy title used to stand for 'more than typical.' It looks more interesting then XIII, I'll give it that, but the box for XIII was more interesting than the game itself. If they melded this into a whole new Final Fantasy, that would be better. Maybe they could make it more interesting.

I'm not surprised, as this was rumored a long time ago - Squeenix sank more money than they cared to admit into that bomb of an MMO they called Final Fantasy XIV and never made anything close to what they'd hoped for on it. They had said back then they were going to have to cancel several projects, and with Versus XIII being the project with the least amount of work put into it, I assumed it'd be one of them.

Karavision

Oct 13, 2011
Atlus is really killing these guys. JRPGs and Stratagy RPGs that don't suck and have low development costs. Sucks that most of these are waaaaay too Japanese for me to really enjoy. I used to go to square for JRPGs that were fun but were not a damn anime game. 13 might as well have been K-on with all of the moe everywhere. FFVII had an anime feel but reminded me of the 80's stuff that was awesome. Versus game me the same vibe. It's a shame, I was looking forward to it.

Square is just a publisher to me.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
Funny, last time I saw a rumor about V-XIII, it was that it was becoming XV and had a new trailer (proved false), now the rumor is that its cancelled. So, in conclusion, this games existence is as much a mystery as the game's content.

In other news, where's my Kingdom Hearts 3? No, I don't want to play another portable game, give me the real thing!

throwmeawaykid

May 18, 2012
lancar said:
So...

Does this mean that Tetsuya Nomura will finally start working on Kingdom Hearts 3? Y'know.. that title that everyone and their dog have been asking for for 7 (!) years? The one even Disney themselves wants?

No?

sigh...

Seriously, all we've seen of vs13 are the standard pre-rendered trailers squeenix churns out instead of good games these days, so they can talk premise and vision all they want and I still wouldn't give a toss about it dying.
FUCK KINGDOM HEARTS 3!!! THERE I SAID IT! I'm sorry, man It's just that this was shaping up to be such a good game, the one thing that would reaffirm my belief and trust in Square-what ever the last word is now. The first good and original idea Square has had since Final Fantasy X, (DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT BRINGING UP XIII) and all everyone keeps going on about is "Kingdom Hearts 3!" it's not even that good, sure the first one was, but the rest just made the narrative boring, unoriginal and convoluted. Final Fantasy Versus XIII had everything going for it, just...........damn it. Ok I've said my piece, and i guess i still have the Shin Megami Tensei games to keep me a JRPG fan. Good-bye Final Fantasy, you were awesome while you lasted.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
It's just a rumor guys. I say it's a good thing if it is either cancelled or not. If it's not, people will have something to look up...for a certain non certain time in the non specific futur. If it is, then we can put it behind us.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
bluegate said:
dragongit said:
Final Fantsy 9? What was that almost?
Originally, the Final Fantasy X we know was to be the ninth installment in the series, however, a side project caught the eye of some guy within square-enix and that was promoted to be Final Fantasy 9, the original FF9 turning into FF10.

This isn't really that detailed an explanation but it's the gist of it. For a more accurate explanation you should hit Wikipedia or some FF fan-site.

That is what I remember reading somewhere anyway, if anything I say is wrong, feel free to set me straight.
Really? I read on Wikipedia that 9 was developed alongside 8.

OT: That's a shame. It looked kind of interesting. If the rumour's true then hopefully they're just making it XV instead. That'd make sense, the 'XIII' part of it was pretty much just a namesake.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
...Oh, well. We tried, there's no hope for them anymore except for Kingdom Hearts. That at least has released games and stuff...