Update: The Escapist Community Musician Rocks a Half-Life 2 Tribute Song

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Hubilub said:
I guess you changed your mind about that one.

Pleasant surprise, Funk!
We decided that an update to the original post (instead of a new one) would be a decent compromise :p

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
He should be given a job on the escapist, each week (or 2, whichever) we have a new song, sort of like what Yahtzee and Unskippable have =P

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Hubilub said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Hubilub said:
I could have sworn that I read a comment by you saying you were doing a Modern Warfare song.

Is that one already done?
It got put on the back burner until The Ballad Of Clay Carmine is finished!
Duuuude, your other song is up on teh news!
Awesome! Me is a happy geek!

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
John Funk said:
We decided that an update to the original post (instead of a new one) would be a decent compromise :p
Thanks for that :)

I really wasn't expecting any of this so it's all a lovely surprise.

nick n stuff

Nov 19, 2009
i think 'the ballad of Clay Carmine' is my new favourite song.

i really like this, it's like a more rhythmic Rage Against the Machine that's easier and more enjoyable to listen to.

nicely done my friend

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
Huh that's... pretty good. Consider this added to my ipod. Hell if you make an album let me know I'd like to hear more :)

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Cleril said:
Now I'm not being jealous here, music is full of win.

But why does this person get recognition for making music while I don't get recognition for making games on a gaming website? It seems illogical and slanted to me. Not only did you give well-deserved recognition but you gave it twice, yet I don't get a news article about the videogames I make? I'm sorry, I thought this was a gaming website, call me logical.

You didn't? God damn it, that does suck.

My mind is completely blown right now. I could have sworn you got one...

Anyway, awesome songs, and I would definitely buy an album of yours.

Misaek

Oct 28, 2008
Cleril said:

But why does this person get recognition for making music while I don't get recognition for making games on a gaming website? It seems illogical and slanted to me. Not only did you give well-deserved recognition but you gave it twice, yet I don't get a news article about the videogames I make? I'm sorry, I thought this was a gaming website, call me logical.
Well it's really the same reason, say, Steam can't pick up your games, no matter how intelligent or philosophically engaging they are (Which I think they are) its just a VX game, not particularly spectacular, plus music is easily digestible, plus you've said yourself you make niche games, not everyone here will like them, but we can safely assume most people here will enjoy songs such as these.

Also to stay on topic, really cool songs, keep making them... please...

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
MiracleOfSound said:
John Funk said:
Thanks for that :)

I really wasn't expecting any of this so it's all a lovely surprise.
http://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/statuses/24050464075

Congrats.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Ahem.

This is the first time I have ever abused caps, but:

CLIFFY FUCKING B JUST TWEETED THE LINK TO MY GEARS SONG!!!!

[faints with joy]

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
John Funk said:
It's a shame that there are so few songs heralding the glory of the true hero of the City 17 rebellion: Lamarr the headcrab. However, for the time being, I suppose we should take what we can get, particularly if they turn out as well as this one did.
I'm glad that someone finally mentioned this. I had always likened Lamarr's story to a more sympathetic version of Laika, the doomed Russian space dog. A true hero indeed.

Misaek

Oct 28, 2008
Cleril said:
It's not very illogical, they post things people will like, as for Game Dogs, Russ Pitts is the Chief Editor, and is listening to requests, so he can make it much better than it once was, he wont just scrap it, if you really find it this illogical then tell this to John Funk, or someone who works for The Escapist.

Also congrats MiracleOfSound! Get noticed by every developer out there, and get some record deals, I need a compilation of your music one day, you're gonna make it big kid, real big!

Hashbrick

Mar 20, 2009
I can only think of one thing to say, why the fuck hasn't a label picked this guy up! Brilliant work, keep doing what you love.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
Ahem.

This is the first time I have ever abused caps, but:

CLIFFY FUCKING B JUST TWEETED THE LINK TO MY GEARS SONG!!!!

[faints with joy]
Haha, congrats dude. You definitely earned it.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Cleril said:

We love working with our community and doing cool things like the film festival/e-games, etc, but we aren't a site that just posts content created by members of our community - otherwise, we'd have nothing else in our content stream. In fact, the odds that something created by our community would have a presence on our front page - which gets millions of people looking at it every day - are pretty slim to begin with.

This wasn't posted because it was created by a member of our community, it was posted because it was a cool news item. If we saw it somewhere else, like on Joystiq or Destructoid or where have you, there's a decent chance we'd have picked it up, too. MiracleofSound being from our community is just a cool little bonus.

See, music is by its very nature just easier to get into than a game. You just click a button and passively listen. A game you need to actively be involved in, and then there are genres, etc, that people might not find interesting because the aren't their thing. Furthermore, this was a song about a very popular game series, which we posted... for fans of that game series. Just like we might post a rap using Pokemon as innuendo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102538-Rap-Song-Replaces-Sex-With-Original-151-Pokemon] for fans of Pokemon. If this had just been original music work, would we have picked it up? No, probably not. We posted it for fans of Half-Life/Gears to get a chuckle out of.

Also, while I in no way mean to belittle you, do you have any idea how many people in our community make games? Whether professionally as part of major developers, as part of the indie scene, or just dabble in teeny little Flash games on the side? If we posted yours, why shouldn't we post theirs? Can you imagine the sort of floodgates that'd open?

And finally, we can't post what nobody tells us about. We had these videos called to our attention, I can't say the same for the games you make. I respectfully doubt anything would have come of it - for the reasons listed above - but dude, we can't post what we don't see.

Now, if you made a tribute mod that combined Half-Life 2 and Gears of War that fans of the two series could appreciate and made a video of it, that's another story :p

Anyway, try not to derail the thread.