UPDATE: Try Yahtzee Croshaw's New Game Consuming Shadow

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
ooookay, let me tell you all about my adventure.

My short pathetic sad little adventure :D

So, I figure, "okay, I've played the Art of Theft and I know Yahtzee is a clever unforgiving bastard in certain cases.. But if I play my cards right, I should be good." And logically I figured, "okay, Yahtzee made this game so I'm assuming I have little ammo. Let's I'm gonna go to a safe town", which I figured would be a green one so I could get more ammo early on perhaps.

I was horribly wrong.

The people were "too nice too happy" and others told me of people who joined a mysterious group and came back "changed." Me being the brave little bugger I am, I investigate, going to this new government building. Kill one monster. Kill another monster, go down a hallway. I think to myself "okay, I should be good." Then I killed a hopping fly thing that jumped out of the dark. Then another one. Then a big bloated crawling mass of what I'm guessing was the main beastie in the area stumbles out. SoI did what any sensible person out of ammo in a new strange world would do.

I NOPED harder than I have ever NOPED and got the fuck out of there. The town is lost, I go to my car, save my game, and quit for today.

I plan to play more of it when I have time today, but I must say this game has a lot of potential. I didn't notice any immediate issues and I genuinely enjoyed what I played so far even if I sorta pussed out like a *****.

thegamermn

Jan 30, 2009
Getting ready to play the updated version.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The uninstaller is setup to remove all files in the directory. So if you're a derp like me and accidentally put the game in your program files folder the uninstaller will start to remove all the files in your program files directory. JUST DELETE THE FILES IN THE FOLDER TO UNINSTALL IT IF YOU'RE DUMB LIKE ME

Estelindis

Jan 25, 2008
thegamermn said:

IMPORTANT NOTE: The uninstaller is setup to remove all files in the directory. So if you're a derp like me and accidentally put the game in your program files folder the uninstaller will start to remove all the files in your program files directory. JUST DELETE THE FILES IN THE FOLDER TO UNINSTALL IT IF YOU'RE DUMB LIKE ME
Seriously? That seems like quite the gaping problem in the uninstaller!

DanteRL

Jan 14, 2010
Anyone starts the game and it immediatly closes? Would it run on Windows XP? (Don't judge me!)

grrrz

Sep 28, 2012
this is pretty good, and very unforgiving. I've played a few hours and still have no clues how to cast spell, and I'm nowhere near having enough clues to finish it.
the "shoot yourself" glitch is also a very sneaky move.
I really don't like the fact that sometimes you can't complete a building because you have no key or lockpicks left.
The writing is very good, but after a few times it becomes repetitive, and you stop reading it all.
(also after hearing yatzhee thought on sanity meters in the "dark descent" review, this will probably come back to him...)
overall another carefully crafted sadistic game (never been to the end of the library in the the poacher)

thegamermn

Jan 30, 2009
Estelindis said:
thegamermn said:

Seriously? That seems like quite the gaping problem in the uninstaller!
Likely just because it's a basic uninstaller. it puts it on its own in a default folder normally. I was just dumb and accidentally told it to put it in program files. Was able to cancel it (through task manager) before it deleted anything important. Fairly understandable especially for a self-published thing. Just telling the uninstaller to remove whatever else is in its folder.

rynak

Sep 22, 2013
Major game-breakage bug report:

This isn't playable on my machine, because of layout glitches. I could post a whole lot of spects, but being a dev myself, i'm quite sure that the only thing relevant, is operating system version, and window-manager settings:

Windows XP, SP3
Custom Screen DPI Setting: "normal font size" (quite sure that means 96dpi, which is the default)
Display scheme: Classic (win9x-style) instead of XP-style
Font-sizes: higher pt-setting than default for most window-manager elements, because i've got a 23" screen

The problem:
In the main menu, i already get glitches (flicker in the buttons) but still usable
Once i launch a new game, positioning of text elements seems to be completely off. Some text-elements in the bottom-right, actually go partially off-screen. The layout behaves, as if it estimates X/Y distances higher than they actually are. The result is that text-elements are placed either at wrong positions or partially/entirely off-screen.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
Started it up
Drove towards Stonehenge
Game: "A mysterious figure flags you down"
Me: "The first encounter can't be too bad"
You died

Hmmm... Guess I was wrong.

Anyways, apart from really having no clue where to start (It is randomly generated, but still having a starting point would help.) I ended up just driving around randomly, completing dungeons with no clue whatsoever as to where to go.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
Wow this is really cool, I can't wait to see it finished!I give it a few more goes before I email Yahtzee but no problems with it so far.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Played it for an hour, had to stop when clicking began behind my head and something knocked on the window.

You did too good of a job, Yahtzee. ;__________;

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Estelindis said:
Does anyone have any idea how to kill the big gloopy monster that doesn't spew out insecty things, that just bubbles along? Shooting it seems to do pretty much nothing. I've yet to encounter it in a game where I've unlocked the mass death spell, so for all I know that might work.

Knoxy said:
Does the game always crash when the creepy guy appears after you find a piece of the banishment ritual?
It did for me.
mass death works

otherwise, it just takes a HELL of a lot of damage, luckily it also moves at the same rate as an iceberg, so as long as you take the time to walk out of the way when it shifts, you could easily smack it to death, if you're not up to unloading a full inventory's worth of bullets into it

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
This was my experience with it.

Started Game, read opening text message, chose the shoot myself option for the lols. Restarted, drove to a town, clicked some stuff, got back in the car to a sanity lowering text message about someone snapping my bones open and slurping down my marrow.

...quit game and wrapped myself up in my protective blanket of fear. I think I'm going to sleep with the lights on tonight because I is a weenie.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Question: do armor piercing bullets actually work better on anything? I found that most of the enemies seemed to be more of the hollow point variety, so there wasn't any real way to experiment with that.

note: some of the stuff that happens at the low end of sanity is pretty entertaining

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
So, um... don't take this the wrong way but who are you?

I mean, if you're not Yahtzee, that is.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
About 5 attempts in, complete 2 jobs, have loot-boosting, bone-protecting and stab-protecting items, and I shoot myself when trying to investigate a town. Yahtzee you sly devil.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
The sanity loss inducing shoot yourself is pretty neat. Risky clicks all around.

I'm bad at the mechanics, thats for damn sure.

However, the clue hunting is fun. I'm starting to play with runes, and i've worked out that spells exist.

On to more towns.

Note: I did take a job that seems to have been impossible to reach. I think i searched for supplies an extra time, but theres no way I;ll get there in 4 hrs.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Damn, and I said I need a break from Videogames.....
But if it is Yahtzee's game, for sure I will play it.

Estelindis

Jan 25, 2008
weirdguy said:
mass death works

otherwise, it just takes a HELL of a lot of damage, luckily it also moves at the same rate as an iceberg, so as long as you take the time to walk out of the way when it shifts, you could easily smack it to death, if you're not up to unloading a full inventory's worth of bullets into it
Thanks! I'll give that a try. :)