UPDATE: Try Yahtzee Croshaw's New Game Consuming Shadow

grrrz

Sep 28, 2012
ok this "shoot yourself" trick is really overused, it occurs far too often and at too high sanity levels. been dead 6 times in a row from it. I get frustration from it, not fear.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
aegix drakan said:
GrayJester said:
weirdguy said:
Question: do armor piercing bullets actually work better on anything?
I believe these bastards are vulnerable to AP ammunition:
I can never seem to figure out what the hell those things are supposed to BE. 0_o
I believe it's like something you'd find in a meat factory, except instead of livestock, it's...something else. also, it's anchored at crotch level. they're evil, after all.

what isn't explained, though, is how it manages to do that in outdoor locations

Yagami_Kira

May 18, 2012
grrrz said:
ok this "shoot yourself" trick is really overused, it occurs far too often and at too high sanity levels. been dead 6 times in a row from it. I get frustration from it, not fear.
If you start the shoot yourself sequence, if you're at high enough sanity you can rapidly left click to lower the gun. The lower your sanity, the harder it is to stop yourself. I'm unable to recover below 25%, but above 25% I can recover every time.

NerAnima

Jun 29, 2013
weirdguy said:
Estelindis said:
Does anyone have any idea how to kill the big gloopy monster that doesn't spew out insecty things, that just bubbles along? Shooting it seems to do pretty much nothing. I've yet to encounter it in a game where I've unlocked the mass death spell, so for all I know that might work.

Knoxy said:
Does the game always crash when the creepy guy appears after you find a piece of the banishment ritual?
It did for me.
mass death works

otherwise, it just takes a HELL of a lot of damage, luckily it also moves at the same rate as an iceberg, so as long as you take the time to walk out of the way when it shifts, you could easily smack it to death, if you're not up to unloading a full inventory's worth of bullets into it
Actually, there is a slightly easier way I've found. If you wait, and stay out of range of it's toxic cloud, eventually you can see an eye (I think) pop out of the mass, if you put a few hollow-point bullets into that, or the creature itself, it will die pretty quickly. I only just noticed and attempted this, so it probably isn't the perfect method to dealing with it, but it's either that or whacking it a dozen times.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
So there I was, in the dungeon beneath Stonehenge, out of ammo, wounded, and almost too insane to cast spells. Barely three hours were left until the Ancient one would arrive, and I although I had a fairly good idea which one it would be, I couldn't be sure...

Another monster. A close range death spell took care of it, but my sanity was now close to gone, and it had landed a hit, which meant my health wasn't much better. I was seriously considering retreating to the car to use up the last of my meagre meds when... Wait, what's this glowing crack in the fabric of reality?

(Aside: cracks in reality below Stonehenge - am I the only person to be getting a Dr Who vibe here?)

One dispel (checked, double checked and triple checked) later, and I'd successfully saved the world. PHEW that was close...

A few of pieces of advice for anyone struggling:

1) Sanity is vital. You can use sanity to heal yourself or to kill monsters, provided you have the right spells. This means that if you're low on ammo and taking hits, you can still keep going if you've got a fair bit of sanity left. Don't burn it all up, but don't be afraid to use it. Buy yourself an extra syringe at some point - there's a good chance that you'll need it. Also, if you've got some level up points, I recommend putting them all into Sanity before you start putting them into anything else.
(Note, syringes can only be used when the previous dose has completely worn off - it might sometimes be worth casting a few dud spells to use up the last of your extra sanity just before leaving a dungeon, so that you can use another syringe before the next one.)

2) Of course, to use sanity, you need to know the spells. Best way to find spells is to perform the jobs where you are hired out to deal with an infestation in an otherwise healthy town. There will usually be a spell description dropped by whatever boss creature you kill at the end of a dungeon.

3) Think very carefully about stopping for anything on the road. It doesn't seem to be worth it most of the time...

Eomega123

Jan 4, 2011
This is pretty fun. I've managed to beat the game twice - once going insane, once managing to keep my sanity. It was pretty hard to get a handle on the mechanics in the beginning, but I'm feeling fairly competent now. That being said, there's always room for improvement, so let's share some strategies and see if we can't beat back the shadow!

Here's what I've managed to figure out so far:

Keep notes as you go. The notebook is fine, but once you get a large number of (often redundant) clues, it can be hard to find the bit of information you need.
You can save ammo on the flying bug enemies by swatting them out of the air when they charge at you. The investigator's reactions are pretty slow, so you have to predict when they're about to charge and swing a little earlier. The small ones are easy enough, but the large ones can be a challenge.
Each enemy makes a distinct sound. Figure out what you're up against as soon as you enter the room so you can better prepare yourself.
Not all of the important notes go in the notebook. Clues are hidden in the runes drawn on the walls and I believe, though I haven't been able to confirm it, in the corpses scattered throughout the dungeons.
The color of the rune tells you which god is active in that dungeon. You will only see up to three colors, corresponding to the three active gods
A symbol marking territory indicates it is that god's symbol
A symbol giving thanks or praise is the symbol of that god's ally
A symbol that's an intentional blasphemy is the symbol of that god's enemy
The flavor text on the corpses you find tells you which domain the god active in that area is associated with. For example - death by boils is disease, running without caring for pain is fear. Pairing the style of death with the color and symbols of runes in the dungeon can tell you a good deal of information about the god.
It appears that the god active at Stonehenge is the attacking god, the one you have to seal away. If you're unsure which god is attacking and which is merely aiding them, this should help answer the question. This is unconfirmed, as I only noticed it last play-through, so tell me if you have a supporting or contradictory account

grrrz

Sep 28, 2012
A few times I found spell by looking at signs of same color on the wall, but sometimes no order works, I really can't figure out the logic and lose all my sanity (there are 2 runes and 3 runes spells, one is "territory", the other is "curse" or "blessing", or there are both). I still don't understand. trying all combination burns your sanity, and sometimes there's only one rune (which is always "territory")

Eomega123

Jan 4, 2011
dunam said:
Eomega123 said:
It appears that the same symbol is never repeated twice in the same spell, including the banishing ritual. This would mean that parts of the ritual can be used to eliminate possibilities of the symbol of the attacking god, and vice-versa.
I can confirm this is not true. I just did a banishment for the first time and it started with twice the same symbol (maybe because in this case, the second symbol was the god symbol).
Thanks for that, I've updated the list. So that's no help on the banishing ritual, but maybe it still affects normal spells? Has anyone seen a 2 or 3 rune spell with 2 of the same symbol?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
btw, you can incant a single rune when it's on a wall (it needs to be close to you) and depending on the context, it will either drop a small amount of sanity (important) or appear to do nothing, but may increase enemy spawns? it will require further investigation.

also note that the rosary was nerfed from total mitigation to 50%, because spell spamming sort of makes the game too easy

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Gah! So close. Died in Stonehenge this time around...

I need to check. Red rooms usually seem to hold some significance (like the rooms holding the different boxes on the "pick the right artefact quests), but sometimes they are also completely empty. I'm assuming that's a bug? (Seems to happen with dungeons that are off the main track - like the one that the corrupted Police might drag you off to.)

On a related note, in Stonehenge:

Is the ladder supposed to be in Stonehenge's red room? Because if so, I feel cheated by my previous game - the ladder was presumably hidden by the massive corpse of an enemy that I'd just killed, so I left the room, came back when I noticed the room was now red, and got overwhelmed by the enemy suddenly being alive again.

Eomega123

Jan 4, 2011
Just managed to beat the game again. I unfortunately went insane, but man was it a dramatic finish. With four hours left to go I knew which god was invading, but I was missing one part of the banishment ritual, so I went to a red city straight between where I was and Stonehenge, but the cops started chasing me. Fortunately, I was able to speed off. The red city mission was hunting down a cursed tome, and I had to explore pretty much the entire map before I found it, which unlocked the final rune of the ritual. I ran the hell out of there, the Tall Man on my heels, and booked it to Stonehenge, hoping I would make it in time. That's where I found at that, once you have less than an hour left, it starts counting by the minute. So I arrive at Stonehenge with six minutes on the clock and start tearing through it, running straight through enemies and popping open every container until I got the key-ring, at which point I ran through the entire underground, the counter ticking down all the time, watching my health and sanity degrade. Eventually I doubled back to the start of the map, opened a locked door I'd run past before, and started exploring the new area with two minutes left on the clock. My sanity at this point was zero, the screen was practically all static, and I kept running into boss monsters that cut down my health even more. But I was in action hero mode: It didn't matter what happened to me, as long as I stopped that god. I finally find the ladder with less than a minute left, charge at the rift, rip out the spellbook, and seal away the god of fear thirty seconds before his terrible reign began.

Well done investigator, well done.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Nice one, Eomega123. I enjoyed reading that. Out of interest, what difference does it make (if any) if your investigator is entirely insane?

Eomega123

Jan 4, 2011
The_Darkness said:
Nice one, Eomega123. I enjoyed reading that. Out of interest, what difference does it make (if any) if your investigator is entirely insane?
Well you get all the standard insanity effects, but much more frequently. I had the static screen and noise on basically every board, enemies that weren't really there in about every third room, and you have to PAY ATTENTION when you click on options, because if you accidentally click to shoot yourself there is no way to beat the quick time event at that level.

Managing to seal away the attacking god while remaining sane earns you an extra 10,000 experience.
If you're insane when you cast the banishing ritual, then you wake up in a padded cell, having no memory of what happened after that, though people tell you were wandering the countryside, babbling incoherently. While you managed to stop the god, you're still convinced that the shadow is everywhere, and you die in there gibbering like a maniac. Alternatively:
If you're sane when you perform the banishing ritual, and if the ritual doesn't send you over the brink (I'm not sure if the banishing ritual decreases sanity, I've only even been very sane, completely insane, or completely insane but on a drug fueled rampage), then you successful seal away the god and escape. You live and the world is safe, even though no one will know you saved them, or that they were even under attack.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Oh, sweet. I'll look into this when a mac version comes out.