Update: Valve Teaming up with Adult Swim for... Something

HigherTomorrow

Jan 24, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
HigherTomorrow said:
blacksploitation comedy
I'm really hoping this isn't a reference to The Boondocks, because The Boondocks is one of the greatest animated shows on television.
More like the Eric Andre Show and Loiter Squad.
Forgive me, then. I had no clue those shows even existed. There names mean literally nothing to me, because I've never, ever seen/heard of them. So I just assumed you meant Boondocks because it's the only "black" show I've seen on Adult Swim.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
1337mokro said:
It's going to be a 4 season miniseries of Gabe's finger slowly moving towards the Upload button for HL3.
And the final episode will wrap up the series like so...

Irridium said:
If it really is Half Life 3 it'll be fun watching the internet just explode.
Maybe it's just me but that sentence, combined with you avatar, just seem so deliciously apropos.

Awexsome said:
Yeah it could be hit or miss like people have said before when it comes to Adult Swim.

One hand giveth back Toonami, the other giveth Squidbillies.

TF2 already has a funny established characters and relations so I lean optimistic on Adult Swim not turning it into one of their more "stoner" ideas.
Hey now. Squidbillies is easily one of the best shows they've ever had.

I used to think the same as you. I just dismissed it as yet another piece of garbage dreamed up by some perpetually stoned hacks. However, after giving the show a chance, I came to realize that the show is really quite good. The writing is right up there with Venture Bros in terms of wittiness. Same goes for the voice acting and sound design. (I'm serious. Try watching a few episodes, especially after season 1.)

The show usually gets a lot of flak because of how "crude" the character designs look or because it's essentially about red-necks. You'd be surprised how good the show actually is when you give it a chance. It's a lot like Metalocalypse. It started rough, but now I never come across a newer episode that doesn't have me laughing and smiling by the end.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Abandon4093 said:
Fr said:
anc[is]So it'll be unfunny, obnoxious, exclusively for stoners, and last 3 weeks before everyone forgets about it?
Not being in the US I don't get Adult Swim, so I don't know what it's usual programming is like.

But I know of two incredible series (Venture Bros and Boondocks) that have come from the station and a few fairly watchable ones. (Robotchicken, metalocolypse etc)

The first two aren't really mindless stoner material.
If you like those, as I do, then you should definitely give Squidbillies a shot. It's almost a parody of American life; as the rest of the world usually envisions it. It's easily some of the best writing on that network. (though the first half of the first season had a really rough and slow start)

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
a TF2 TV series would be fun but with the valve time we would be lucky to get two episodes in the 10 years.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, Tommy Lee Jones, did you hear that Valve teamed up with Adult Swim for something? Everyone got really excited about what it could be and it turned out to a Robot Chicken hat, isn't that great?

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Fanghawk said:
And today, scientists have successfully created and contained what was long believed to be the universe's most rare and extraordinary particle: anticlimax.

As it turns out, it isn't that great.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Wow, that is super anticlimactic.
I don't even play TF2 and I'm incredibly disappointed by this news.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
I wouldn't have minded if they'd just announced 'hey, we're making a robot chicken hat for TF2! Isn't that great!'

But when you build it up like this it's just incredibly disappointing.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
So is this hat strictly an in-game item or, are they going to market and sell the hat as a physical thing?

Something tells me I'm asking a stupid question and should just put my wallet away.

theheroofaction

Jan 20, 2011
It's not just the hat.

This is from the page where you get the hat

Sign up for the newsletter below to receive your Steam promo code. Then you'll be the first to know when we have MORE new stuff coming down the ol' Steam pipe-hole... Because this ain't the last you'll hear from Adult Swim and Valve. Stay tuned.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Dang it Adult Swim! You raised my hopes up and dashed them mercilessly! Why?! Why?! Why?! Wh--

Sign up for the newsletter below to receive your Steam promo code. Then you'll be the first to know when we have MORE new stuff coming down the ol' Steam pipe-hole... Because this ain't the last you'll hear from Adult Swim and Valve. Stay tuned.
.... On Second thought, maybe you didn't...

Musicfreak

Jan 23, 2009
HigherTomorrow said:
blacksploitation comedy
I'm really hoping this isn't a reference to The Boondocks, because The Boondocks is one of the greatest animated shows on television.
More like the Eric Andre Show and Loiter Squad.
I can't speak for the Eric Andre Show but Loiter Squad isn't blacksploitation. It LOOKS like it is at first but I've watched a couple episodes and it really isn't. It's basically just a show about a group of friends doing random skits who just happen to all be black. Of course they occasionally do jokes that only black people can really pull off but a surprising amount of it is just random skits that would work(or fail depending on your point of view) regardless of race.

Oh and really Valve? Hats, that's the partnership? Talk about a let down.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
So yeah, there's really no reason to get people this worked up over a hat at this point. Adult Swim is 3 years late to that party.

alik44

Sep 11, 2010
well that was disappointing but then again its valve so i should not really be shocked at this moment