Updated: Activision CEO Earned $64.9 Million in 2012

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
[HEADING=1]sports fans had already guessed that update[/HEADING]

[h4]
Michael Pachter is laughing at you all.
Get some business sense.​
[/h4]

If you cover any major sports franchise then knew that this is a contract extension! A twelve year old New York Jets fan would have assumed this. No wonder most of the media hub doesn't take this medium seriously. That this story even broke makes the gaming media a laughing stock -- they lack a basic understanding of big company contracts and salaries.

[HEADING=3]Is Gaming Media too Far Removed from Social life?[/HEADING]
It's absolutely ridiculous that the Escapist, IGN, and Kotaku could all be this dense!

dragonnewby

Mar 31, 2009
To all the complainers in this thread: If the board of directors of an extremely successful company thinks that this man is worth that much, and they are making profit based on that assumption, both he and the board of directors are doing something right. If you think you can run a company while making as much profit as Activision, go ahead and start your own.

PS: Capitalism is not a perfect system, but it is still better than any other.

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
dragonnewby said:
To all the complainers in this thread: If the board of directors of an extremely successful company thinks that this man is worth that much, and they are making profit based on that assumption, both he and the board of directors are doing something right.
Only if you assume that maximising profit is actually a good thing.

By and large, the maximisation of profit generally results in a detrimental cost for humanity and society as a whole. This has been demonstrated repeatedly, in multiple different industries and with multiple different companies. I don't know how anybody still remains ignorant of this...

dragonnewby

Mar 31, 2009
Lawyer105 said:
dragonnewby said:
To all the complainers in this thread: If the board of directors of an extremely successful company thinks that this man is worth that much, and they are making profit based on that assumption, both he and the board of directors are doing something right.
Only if you assume that maximising profit is actually a good thing.

By and large, the maximisation of profit generally results in a detrimental cost for humanity and society as a whole. This has been demonstrated repeatedly, in multiple different industries and with multiple different companies. I don't know how anybody still remains ignorant of this...
Except it was not. Go ahead, find me a study that says that profit maximization as a whole is "detrimental" as you put it instead of just case studies. And I'll show you multiple states where they decided to take profit incentives away. Haven't you heard enough horror stories about Soviet Union? No one wanted to work, no one wanted to do anything, the state fell apart extremely quickly. People need a goal, an incentive to do work and profit maximization does exactly that. Capping that profit with an arbitrary ceiling is like destroying the full potential of capitalism.

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
Nonsense. Extremism of any form is bad. You quite rightly decry the communist extremism of the old Soviet Union, and yet beat your chest about how clearly superior the equally extreme (if diametrically opposed) capitalist system is. The hypocrisy is staggering - no point continuing this discussion.

dragonnewby

Mar 31, 2009
Lawyer105 said:
Nonsense. Extremism of any form is bad. You quite rightly decry the communist extremism of the old Soviet Union, and yet beat your chest about how clearly superior the equally extreme (if diametrically opposed) capitalist system is. The hypocrisy is staggering - no point continuing this discussion.
Never said anything about extremism or Communism. In fact, Soviet Union wasn't even close to Communism. And modern Capitalism isn't even extremist or the opposite of communism since communism is not even an economic system, but a social one. But whatever helps you sleep at night.

Kelgair

May 20, 2012
Lawyer105 said:
Kelgair said:
And that's the point I lost interest in your reply. If you consider receiving a wage to be a form of slavery -snip-
And that's the point where I realised you're just trolling. Doh. Alright, I admit it - you got me.
Naaah, if I was trolling you it'd be something more like this.

Oh cruel slavery
Receiving money for work
My latte is cold

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
dragonnewby said:
There are. Multiple.
Also you sound like becasue there is capitalism we cant find a better system?

dragonnewby said:
Haven't you heard enough horror stories about Soviet Union? No one wanted to work, no one wanted to do anything, the state fell apart extremely quickly. People need a goal, an incentive to do work and profit maximization does exactly that. Capping that profit with an arbitrary ceiling is like destroying the full potential of capitalism.
Havent you heard of the soviet union? a totalitarian regime that lasted over 80 years where the main motivator for police was "kill quotas" because a one-man personality cult decided so. Soviet Union problems had nothing to do with economy, but with society, proving that humans are greedy and given the chance can and WILL kill others to get what they want. if anything, Soviet union has proven how bad Plutocracy is.

Lawyer105 said:
And that's the point where I realised you're just trolling. Doh. Alright, I admit it - you got me.
Careful there. Apparently on this forum you can get banned for calling other person a troll.

Kelgair said:
Naaah, if I was trolling you it'd be something more like this.

Oh cruel slavery
Receiving money for work
My latte is cold
In which case you wouldnt know what trolling is. Satire (however poor) is not trolling.

Kelgair

May 20, 2012
Strazdas said:
In which case you wouldnt know what trolling is. Satire (however poor) is not trolling.
Eh, in my experience there are many forms of trolling, satire/mockery is but one as long as it gets a rise out of someone. Admittedly I skipped the insincere "oh yes, wage slavery is an actual thing and bad" intro mockery, but I was already accused so figured I'd just give an example of the less subtle stuff I'd have given him if I was actually trolling.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Kelgair said:
Strazdas said:
Eh, in my experience there are many forms of trolling, satire/mockery is but one as long as it gets a rise out of someone. Admittedly I skipped the insincere "oh yes, wage slavery is an actual thing and bad" intro mockery, but I was already accused so figured I'd just give an example of the less subtle stuff I'd have given him if I was actually trolling.
Satire and mockery are not forms as trolling, altrough most people mix that up. a person is not a troll for mocking you, hes just an ass. The reader will not evne understand that you are insincere if you are trolling, and if you are really good at it he will be the only one not understanding it. It saddens me to see that people think that mockery is trolling. Thats like surgery being downgraded to pulling spider legs.

Kelgair

May 20, 2012
Strazdas said:
Kelgair said:
Admittedly I skipped the insincere "oh yes, wage slavery is an actual thing and bad" intro mockery,
The reader will not evne [sic] understand that you are insincere if you are trolling, and if you are really good at it he will be the only one not understanding it.
Kelgair said:
but I was already accused
Kelgair said:
so figured I'd just give an example of the less subtle stuff I'd have given him if I was actually trolling
C'mon, you can follow this.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Kelgair said:
Strazdas said:
Kelgair said:
Admittedly I skipped the insincere "oh yes, wage slavery is an actual thing and bad" intro mockery,
The reader will not evne [sic] understand that you are insincere if you are trolling, and if you are really good at it he will be the only one not understanding it.
Kelgair said:
but I was already accused
Kelgair said:
so figured I'd just give an example of the less subtle stuff I'd have given him if I was actually trolling
C'mon, you can follow this.
My point was, that if you were actually troling, such example would not apply, as this example is not trolling.

Kelgair

May 20, 2012
Strazdas said:
My point was, that if you were actually troling, such example would not apply, as this example is not trolling.
Eh, and if I was actually trolling the example would've had a few posts of insincere setup to go with it. I've actually done it before with similar haiku's being the culmination of the troll. I just hated to waste good mockery in this case.

dragonnewby

Mar 31, 2009
Strazdas said:
dragonnewby said:
There are. Multiple.
Also you sound like becasue there is capitalism we cant find a better system?
Please do tell me, what is this better economic system you speak of?

Strazdas said:
dragonnewby said:
Haven't you heard enough horror stories about Soviet Union? No one wanted to work, no one wanted to do anything, the state fell apart extremely quickly. People need a goal, an incentive to do work and profit maximization does exactly that. Capping that profit with an arbitrary ceiling is like destroying the full potential of capitalism.
Havent you heard of the soviet union? a totalitarian regime that lasted over 80 years where the main motivator for police was "kill quotas" because a one-man personality cult decided so. Soviet Union problems had nothing to do with economy, but with society, proving that humans are greedy and given the chance can and WILL kill others to get what they want. if anything, Soviet union has proven how bad Plutocracy is.
Umm yeah... "humans are greedy" is basis of how capitalism works. It's why it works and why no other system has managed to outdo what capitalism does. I'm not saying that humans are good or bad, I'm saying that capitalism is a great system for our current world and people.

Also, the killings in Soviet Union has nothing to do with why it fell apart. It's because of its awful economy. People refused to work because they had no incentive to. Planned economy is worthless and will always be a laughing stock because of how corrupt and inefficient it is.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Lawyer105 said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Adam Jensen said:
But this is still too much for one man who's doing the least amount of work.
And what exactly makes you think he is doing the least amount of work? Do you think a CEO just sits there doing nothing all day? Maybe once you get into the real world you'll understand.
Don't be so naive. I've been in the real world. I've worked with CEO's of big multinationals. Hell... in some cases, I've even been "in charge" of reviewing their pay packages (in as much as I had any say in the matter...). The vast majority work hard... I don't deny that... but they don't work any harder than I used to, and most of them work less. THEY would go home to their families, while I was still sweating away over the files/accounts/other stuff and say "I'll look at it tomorrow morning... just make sure it's done!"

Maybe it's you that needs to spend some time in the real world...
In my job and others I've seen, the CEO works more than everyone. My CEO has worked 60+ hour weeks, and actually probably does a lot. Because some don't do as much work as some people that means that they are all lazy and do the least amount of work, right? Oh, but since you, the most important person on Earth, worked harder than they do, that obviously means that they didn't lift a finger and did the least amount of work as anyone.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Me55enger said:
It's time the fat cats had a heart attack.
Can't tell if Muse quote or general sentiment :/

But anyway, just think what they could do with that money. They could fund some original projects with it, even. But no...

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
dragonnewby said:

Umm yeah... "humans are greedy" is basis of how capitalism works. It's why it works and why no other system has managed to outdo what capitalism does. I'm not saying that humans are good or bad, I'm saying that capitalism is a great system for our current world and people.

Also, the killings in Soviet Union has nothing to do with why it fell apart. It's because of its awful economy. People refused to work because they had no incentive to. Planned economy is worthless and will always be a laughing stock because of how corrupt and inefficient it is.
Well environmentalism is better for one.
Resource-oriented economy is also better though without practical trials yet.
There is plenty. Profits are not descriptor of economic sucess.
Yes, capitalism exploits the bad side of human psichology and makes it the norm. Hurray? Capitalism is not great, it simpyl works because we as humans refuse to change, even thouh we do know it would be better with change.
Killings had nothing to do with it? tell that to the Ukrainians...
Soviet union had centralized capitalism. It is awful i agree. So is decentralized capitalism. Capitalism IS planned economy. Only very small and ineffective companies do not plan years ahead now. If planned economy is worthless, then capitalism is worthless. you defeated your own argument.

dragonnewby

Mar 31, 2009
Strazdas said:
dragonnewby said:

Well environmentalism is better for one.
Resource-oriented economy is also better though without practical trials yet.
There is plenty. Profits are not descriptor of economic sucess.
Yes, capitalism exploits the bad side of human psichology and makes it the norm. Hurray? Capitalism is not great, it simpyl works because we as humans refuse to change, even thouh we do know it would be better with change.
Killings had nothing to do with it? tell that to the Ukrainians...
Soviet union had centralized capitalism. It is awful i agree. So is decentralized capitalism. Capitalism IS planned economy. Only very small and ineffective companies do not plan years ahead now. If planned economy is worthless, then capitalism is worthless. you defeated your own argument.
Capitalism is not planned economy. Planned economy means its government-controlled. Capitalism, in its true state, has no government control.

The starving of Ukrainian people was a horrid event, but in no way did that lead to collapse of Soviet Union. Soviet Union also was in no way centralized Capitalism, which in itself is a nonsensical term.

Environmentalism is not an economic system, it is an ideology that supports protection and conservation of our natural habitat.

Resource-based system is too idealistic. It essentially assumes that everyone will take only as much they need which, as history has always shown, is never the case.

Capitalism does not exploit anything as it is not a living being and there's no such thing as "bad side of human psychology". Humans are naturally competitive and greedy as a survival instinct and Capitalism is built around that notion which is precisely why it works so well.