US 2024 Presidential Election

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Uh, cuz after 5 weeks its the only interview she's given. Now MAGA is worried that when debate time finally comes, she'll be "unwell" and not be able to attend and just keep in hiding till after the election. We'll see.
Are you only counting long form sit-down interviews? It's not like she doesn't talk to press and answer questions.

How many long form sit-down interviews has Trump done in the last 5 weeks, and how many of them weren't utter shit-shows?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
If you don't understand a term or phrase, I recommend google over guessing.
I mean, the actual definition of the term doesn't matter. You are going to have a different definition from the definition anyway. You said it, not Google. It would be pointless asking them. I was guessing based on what I thought you might think it might mean. Give us what you think is modern psychology

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States

Lack of narrative, narrow policies on drugs, demand-side housing policy vs. building more housing, and killing zoning regulation in a city like San Francisco where she was a DA (yes, I know DAs don't affect housing policy). Don't even get me started on the shitshow healthcare policy flip-flop.

That said, Biden's Green New Deal Lite was pretty good, and Harris likely pushed him left on it. The 6,000-dollar child subsidy is a good idea, even if it's not enough. (Average child costs about 150K since 2 children cost 300K.). The correct policy on immigration (pandering to the far right (Don't come...) while giving policy concessions to immigration advocates).

More edits to come

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011

Lack of narrative, narrow policies on drugs, demand-side housing policy vs. building more housing, and killing zoning regulation in a city like San Francisco where she was a DA (yes, I know DAs don't affect housing policy). Don't even get me started on the shitshow healthcare policy flip-flop.

That said, Biden's Green New Deal Lite was pretty good, and Harris likely pushed him left on it. The 6,000-dollar child subsidy is a good idea, even if it's not enough. (Average child costs about 150K since 2 children cost 300K.). The correct policy on immigration (pandering to the far right (Don't come...) while giving policy concessions to immigration advocates).

More edits to come
Can't stand Vaush. A sophist, a pervert and a moron.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
No no, it is that she is an empty skulled empty suit who should be held responsible for the last 3.5 years of misery and betrayal we have been through.
Politicians are not responsible for the failings of your personal life, even if they're democrats.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Politicians are not responsible for the failings of your personal life, even if they're democrats.
That may be the single silliest thing you have ever written.

Are you only counting long form sit-down interviews? It's not like she doesn't talk to press and answer questions.

How many long form sit-down interviews has Trump done in the last 5 weeks, and how many of them weren't utter shit-shows?
You mean like this, not a sh1t-show, 35 minute interview with no support mammal a couple of days ago?

Hers, on the other hand was not done live, even though CNN had a "live" logo on it. It was twice as long as what was shown. They had to edit down a puff piece interview that much. Staggering.

Here's Jimmy Dore making fun of it.

ITMT:

Saw some new ads yesterday. 2 were particularly bad. 1 warned of "Trump's Project 2025" which as far as I know, he is unaware of what it even is and the other claimed pro-lifers would force women to carry to term a pregnancy a fetus her doctor assures her will not survive 2 days after birth. I'll look further into it but I think most pro-lifers would still allow for an emergency hearing for a waiver to abortion rules in just about any given state for such an unusual circumstance.

EDIT: https://www.kff.org/womens-health-p...tions-for-the-provision-of-abortion-services/

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Last edited:

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
You mean like this, not a sh1t-show, 35 minute interview with no support mammal a couple of days ago?
Firstly, it's not a proper interview, it's a puff-piece made with a media ally for his campaign. It's a semi-scripted performance designed in the style of an interview for gullible people who might think it's a proper interview. There are zero difficult topics. No-one is able to challenge his answers. This should be the easiest cakewalk on the planet. And yet...

I'm going to draw your attention to the "Inflation" segment.

Firstly, Trump doesn't even answer the question: he just segues into waffling about oil. On the way, he makes an attack on wind power which is untrue and irrelevant. But then it's just incoherent. The USA was best at this or that under him, and then something Saudi Arabia something Biden something Alaska... All I can gather of any use is that he thinks oil production has decreased under Biden, hence inflation. Unfortunately, this isn't true in any sense at all: oil production has increased under Biden, the USA is still the world's top oil producer, and the USA's oil production had nothing to do with the recent inflation spike anyway.

But it's not just the untruths. It's the way he talks around it: the rambling of an old man who doesn't really know the topic he's talking about or even what he's trying to say.

You can see it in other areas: Trump's campaign desperately trying to get him to talk about the issues because they know he's losing key voters. But he's an agitated, old man with little discipline and little understanding, so he keeps reverting back to hammering simple, safe messages and personal abuse. Hence:

“He reminded me why I’m not going to vote for him this time,” said Jenny, a local businesswoman who did not want to give her full name because she didn’t want to alienate customers.

“I voted for him in 2016 and had a Trump flag in the front yard. I voted for him again in 2020 but didn’t put the flag out that time. I’ve been thinking of voting for him again because Biden’s been so bad for the economy and Kamala won’t be any better. But after listening to that, I’m actually afraid of Trump being president again. I don’t know what he was talking about half the time. Perhaps he was always like that but he seems worse, more unstable.”
Well, some people are noticing at least. And they're the voters slipping away from Trump. The Trumpistas seem to refuse to see all this. This sort of speech and conduct from Biden and Harris would have Trumpistas all over social media expressing their derision. And then they go in and watch this strange man blather and ramble and boast incoherently for hours and think he's the best their party has to offer. Truly weird.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

That's a shit show.

That was supposed to be a town hall, which means that people from the audience are supposed to be asking questions, instead it was a puff piece with Tulsi Gabbard interviewing him. Tulsi Gabbard is helping Trump with his debate prep, and throws him a bunch of softball questions (mostly just to keep him on some kind of topic and stop him from rambling) and he can still barely answer them, and a bunch of it is incoherent nonsense.

Saw some new ads yesterday. 2 were particularly bad. 1 warned of "Trump's Project 2025" which as far as I know, he is unaware of what it even is
Trump definitely knows about project 2025, he just also knows that it's unpopular and costing him in the polls so he's trying very hard to pretend to be ignorant.

Most of the people writing the 900 page project 2025 document were Trump staffers:

Trump has praised the Heritage Foundation, and has said about it "They’re going to lay the groundwork and detail plans for exactly what our movement will do and what your movement will do when the American people give us a colossal mandate to save America.”

and the other claimed pro-lifers would force women to carry to term a pregnancy a fetus her doctor assures her will not survive 2 days after birth. I'll look further into it but I think most pro-lifers would still allow for an emergency hearing for a waiver to abortion rules in just about any given state for such an unusual circumstance.
This isn't just a claim that it would happen. This is literally already happening in states that have outlawed abortion.

ABC News brought together 18 women from across 10 states who say their medical care was impacted by abortion bans — bringing several of them to the brink of death. All these women had wanted their pregnancies and none of them had initially sought abortion care. These women said they have been turned away in medical emergencies for not being sick enough, had their health care delayed or denied due to state laws, and been told they have to continue their pregnancies despite devastating, fatal diagnoses for their babies, even if their pregnancies put their health at risk.

Reactions: BrawlMan

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
That's a shit show.

That was supposed to be a town hall, which means that people from the audience are supposed to be asking questions
It isn't just Tulsi but others invited to ask questions. I submit, Kamala would have been destroyed even if this were a friendly forum.

And that former Trumpers are behind 2025 hardly means it is HIS OWN as the commercial held.

Firstly, it's not a proper interview, it's a puff-piece made with a media ally for his campaign.
Again, no way Harris could have handled even that much.

We can hope the debates actually happen. I give it 50/50 they won't.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
And that former Trumpers are behind 2025 hardly means it is HIS OWN as the commercial held.
I don't think that Trump has read the entire 900 page project 2025 document that the heritage foundation has put out (mostly because I don't think he has the patience to actually read anything). I do think that Trump was very aware of what the Heritage Foundation was making as he previously endorsed it before project 2025 went viral and he realized how unpopular it actually is.

Him saying he doesn't know anything about project 2025 is a complete lie.

If his campaign is full of people who worked on project 2025, then how can you claim that project 2025 isn't part of his campaign?

Just look at how he claims to have nothing to do with project 2025:

I know nothing about Project 2025. I have no idea who is behind it. I disagree with some of the things they’re saying and some of the things they’re saying are absolutely ridiculous and abysmal. Anything they do, I wish them luck, but I have nothing to do with them.
So he doesn't know anything about it...but also he knows enough that he knows it's bad and he disagrees with it...but also even though it's bad and he disagrees with it he wishes them luck. If anyone believes that they are the most gullible people on the planet.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If anyone believes that they are the most gullible people on the planet.
And as we've seen, that threshold is vast with Trump supporters. They know it's wrong, but they don't care so long as it doesn't effect them. It does, but they're too foolish or stubborn to see it until it blows wet chunks in their faces.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Spoken like a true biatch.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
For context, there was a similar vision document created by the same Heritage Foundation during the Reagan election campaign. Reagan did about 80 % of the document.

Project 2025 is a bunch of far right conservatives who have Trump's ear, trying to tell him what to do. They're Trump's handlers.

Which is especially important at the moment because Trump is clearly in cognitive decline and is not the same as he was in 2016

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

Apparently Trump's campaign is stopping in a lot of current and former "sundown towns" (towns where black people are not welcome after dark). It could be a coincidence that Trump is touring these small towns that happen to be hugely majority white and discriminatory. I've heard the theory that these are just the towns that are willing to give him free venues as a lot of major cities won't rent venues to him anymore because he keeps skipping out on paying them. Either way, it's not a good look.

Definitely don't think this is actually helping him grow his base, but I guess this is where he gets the crowd sizes he so desperately craves.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I've heard the theory that these are just the towns that are willing to give him free venues as a lot of major cities won't rent venues to him anymore because he keeps skipping out on paying them. Either way, it's not a good look.
Uh... seriously?

How common is it that presidential candidates don't pay their campaign bills: is this just Trump, or a wider issue? (Or is Trump particularly bad for it?)

I don't think that Trump has read the entire 900 page project 2025 document that the heritage foundation has put out (mostly because I don't think he has the patience to actually read anything). I do think that Trump was very aware of what the Heritage Foundation was making as he previously endorsed it before project 2025 went viral and he realized how unpopular it actually is.
I'm sure he knows about it generally, but I can believe he knows approximately nothing substantial about it.

I doubt he cares much about what his government does, and I certainly don't believe he cares about how government is run. He wants to be the president, not to do the job of president, because all he cares about is own power and self-aggrandisement. I can absolutely believe that whilst anyone might have been explaining the intricacies, all his mind was doing was thinking "boring" and drifting off to when he could get his next adrenaline hit of public adulation or fantasising over blonde he'd recently passed in the corridor.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Harris has received zero votes to become President. Biden was the choice during the primaries. While it is almost certainly an academic exercise (especially since The DNC already argued in court that it's their right to just pick whoever they want to in smoke filled back rooms), no average citizen got to vote and say whether they accept Harris for Democratic President Runner.

Even as someone not voting Harris, I'm not all that pressed about losing the opportunity to vote for someone in the primary that I would vote for just because there would be a 0% chance the DNC wouldn't just circle the wagons around her and make sure she was voted for the nomination anyway.
I said to someone recently that one of the things I actually like about the GOP is that they generally run a mostly fair primary and stick by the result, regardless of who that result might be. As opposed to the Dem rules designed to put a thumb on the scale and the various kinds of ratfucking that happen. As I like to point out, in the 2016 primary in my state Sanders only got 53% of the primary vote to Hillary's 35%, which is why Hillary only narrowly won the state.

When he was president he wanted to cut medicare and social security, but didn't because it was unpopular.
Same reason he probably wouldn't do it in a second term - he's a narcissist. He can't handle being disliked by the right (or "right") people or worse being ignored outright. Cutting medicare and social security would damage the font of love and attention he gets from his cult (too many of which benefit from those things and would feel it too quickly to blame on the next POTUS), so it's probably off the table.

Trump is getting yelled at by the anti-abortion crowd because he just can't help but tell people what they want to hear.

Again, Trump holds no actual positions outside his own narcissism.

What stops the supreme court from saying that law is unconstitutional and ignoring it in favor of state's rights?
Article IV, Section 1? The Respect For Marriage Act is basically spelling out obligations states already have under Article IV, Section 1. Full faith and credit is likely to be the spine of any argument against overturning Obergefell, which is something you couldn't apply to Roe.

Common DNC-2024 L.

I love not living in a swing state where the top of the ticket does matter. Still, I am voting for Harris, and leaving the Senate vote blank.
Neither party cares about men, except for the tax revenue they generate.

You could have copied their post count for the number, give your comment that extra something.
That implies an average of one incident per post, depending on topic it may be much higher than that, but can only possibly go a little lower.

No no, it is that she is an empty skulled empty suit who should be held responsible for the last 3.5 years of misery and betrayal we have been through and gives a terrible interview.
You understand she hasn't been president for the last 3.5 years, and that the job of VP is essentially a tiebreaker and understudy, right? Like she could suggest things to Biden, but he's under no obligation to follow her advice at all.

Or to put it another way, was Pence at least as responsible for what occurred during Trump's first term than Trump was? Do you think the Trump cult would vote for Pence?

And yes, they've been selling us out to an evil cabal.
And who, exactly is this cabal?

1 warned of "Trump's Project 2025" which as far as I know, he is unaware of what it even is

That's Trump speaking before the Heritage Foundation in 2022.

Donald Trump said:
But this is a great group. And they’re going to lay the groundwork and detail plans for exactly what our movement will do and what your movement will do when the American people give us a colossal mandate to save America and that’s coming. That’s coming.
He's literally in front of the organization behind Project 2025, talking about Project 2025 in that quote. So, he's giving a speech to the people behind Project 2025 describing Project 2025 as a detailed plan "for exactly what our movement will do" and also has no idea what it is and is totally ignorant of it? And that's ignoring that several of the people directly involved in writing it were members of his previous administration.