US 2024 Presidential Election

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

Kennedy said his internal polls had shown that his presence in the race would hurt Trump and help Democratic nominee Kamala Harris, though recent public polls don’t provide a clear indication that he is having an outsize impact on support for either major-party candidate.

Kennedy cited free speech, the war in Ukraine and “a war on our children” as among the reasons he would try to remove his name from the ballot in battleground states.

View attachment 11742
Sooooo in other word "I only ran to take voter away from democrat". That's pretty low, he'll fit right in with the GOP.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Kennedy said his internal polls had shown that his presence in the race would hurt Trump and help Democratic nominee Kamala Harris, though recent public polls don’t provide a clear indication that he is having an outsize impact on support for either major-party candidate.

Kennedy cited free speech, the war in Ukraine and “a war on our children” as among the reasons he would try to remove his name from the ballot in battleground states.
Has Kennedy ever revealed why he's so enamored by Trump and why the Democrats are worse then the guy who tried to overthrow democracy last time he didn't win the election? Because that's a belief that requires some serious explanation.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Has Kennedy ever revealed why he's so enamored by Trump and why the Democrats are worse then the guy who tried to overthrow democracy last time he didn't win the election? Because that's a belief that requires some serious explanation.
Because a worm ate his brain.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Because a worm ate his brain.
I'm pretty sure the decade plus of heavy drug use from his mid-teens onwards won't have helped, either. Whilst someone can seemingly recover in the health and flexibility of youth, the damage may catches up with them in old age.

Given that Kennedy's big schtick for decades was supposed to be environmentalism, it seems odd for Kennedy to throw his lot in behind the candidate who wants to burn fossil fuels to the max, can environmental regulations and would burn down a rainforest if it made him enough profit to gold plate his pen.

Maybe it's ego. Maybe he just wants a taste of power. Maybe he's angry the Democrats didn't give him something he thought he should have had and wanted revenge.

A fair possibility is that he got sucked into conspiracy theory and other forms of unorthodox or extreme beliefs - he's gone on about vaccines causing autism, Covid-19 stuff, etc. Such a person given a choice between a normality candidate or a fellow semi-outsider crank who also puts out anti-establishment rhetoric might think the crank looks like the more attractive option.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Given that Kennedy's big schtick for decades was supposed to be environmentalism, it seems odd for Kennedy to throw his lot in behind the candidate who wants to burn fossil fuels to the max, can environmental regulations and would burn down a rainforest if it made him enough profit to gold plate his pen.

Maybe it's ego. Maybe he just wants a taste of power. Maybe he's angry the Democrats didn't give him something he thought he should have had and wanted revenge.

A fair possibility is that he got sucked into conspiracy theory and other forms of unorthodox or extreme beliefs - he's gone on about vaccines causing autism, Covid-19 stuff, etc. Such a person given a choice between a normality candidate or a fellow semi-outsider crank who also puts out anti-establishment rhetoric might think the crank looks like the more attractive option.

I'm pretty sure it's just that Trump is offering him a cabinet position and Harris didn't. He asked them both so he clearly didn't care who he endorses as long as he gets something out of it. It's fucking slimy.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I watched a bit of Kennedy's concession speech and far more grotesque then I could imagine. I just expected a weird ''woe is me! the Democrats are so mean and they're killing everyone with vaxines!'' nonsense, but its so much worse. To start with you can't boast about the Kennedy family's devotion to democracy and the free world, and vowing to follow those traits while endorsing Trump, someone who tried to overthrow democracy last time he lost and who's a fierce opponent of the free world in favor of Russia.

But that's not the important part. Far more reprehensible was Kennedy spending significant time spreading direct Kremlin propaganda. You could have send Lavrov and get a less Russophilic speech. Absolute nonsense about how the west saying Ukraine is an independent country ''forced'' Russia to wage a genocidal war, and how surrendering Ukraine to the Russians is the best way forward. Not even TRUMP is as psychotically pro Putin as this. And least he cloaks those claims while scheming to betray us. No presidential candidate or anyone even vaguely loyal to their own country should behave that way on national television.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I watched a bit of Kennedy's concession speech and far more grotesque then I could imagine. I just expected a weird ''woe is me! the Democrats are so mean and they're killing everyone with vaxines!'' nonsense, but its so much worse. To start with you can't boast about the Kennedy family's devotion to democracy and the free world, and vowing to follow those traits while endorsing Trump, someone who tried to overthrow democracy last time he lost and who's a fierce opponent of the free world in favor of Russia.

But that's not the important part. Far more reprehensible was Kennedy spending significant time spreading direct Kremlin propaganda. You could have send Lavrov and get a less Russophilic speech. Absolute nonsense about how the west saying Ukraine is an independent country ''forced'' Russia to wage a genocidal war, and how surrendering Ukraine to the Russians is the best way forward. Not even TRUMP is as psychotically pro Putin as this. And least he cloaks those claims while scheming to betray us. No presidential candidate or anyone even vaguely loyal to their own country should behave that way on national television.
Good news.

Funny how that works out. I.
called out this crap months ago. Biden and Trump are old men. What makes Trump so special? He is way more out of touch, with or
without the comparisons.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Trump keeps screaming about how Harris's nomination is a "violent coup" and that Biden was "overthrown". Except... Biden is still President. He voluntarily stepped down as the nominee for the next election (despite Republican claims that he was "violently coerced"). Trump was all geared up to take on "sleepy Joe" and he doesn't have the mental capacity to adjust to taking on Harris.

And wasn't Trump demanding that Biden be impeached, anyway? Is this another situation where he wanted to get the "win" and is angry it was "stolen" from him?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Trump keeps screaming about how Harris's nomination is a "violent coup" and that Biden was "overthrown". Except... Biden is still President. He voluntarily stepped down as the nominee for the next election (despite Republican claims that he was "violently coerced"). Trump was all geared up to take on "sleepy Joe" and he doesn't have the mental capacity to adjust to taking on Harris.

And wasn't Trump demanding that Biden be impeached, anyway? Is this another situation where he wanted to get the "win" and is angry it was "stolen" from him?
The one aspect of this I actually will...*shudder*...somewhat agree with Trump is that it is kind of a baby coup (though certainly not a violent one and there's probably a better word than Coup here but I'm not sure what it would be).

Harris has received zero votes to become President. Biden was the choice during the primaries. While it is almost certainly an academic exercise (especially since The DNC already argued in court that it's their right to just pick whoever they want to in smoke filled back rooms), no average citizen got to vote and say whether they accept Harris for Democratic President Runner.

Even as someone not voting Harris, I'm not all that pressed about losing the opportunity to vote for someone in the primary that I would vote for just because there would be a 0% chance the DNC wouldn't just circle the wagons around her and make sure she was voted for the nomination anyway.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country

He is not a well or sane man, trying to rationalise his infantile fits is futile.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
somewhat agree with Trump is that it is kind of a baby coup
It's not a coup in any meaningful sense at all.

Biden didn't suddenly get pushed out. His position was gradually degrading in the face of adverse polling, media criticism, collapsing donor revenues, and mounting opposition from his own party. Eventually, he bowed to the inevitable for the good of his party. But at that juncture they didn't actually have the means to push him out and if he had insisted on going forward with the election, he almost certainly would have remained the Democratic candidate.

Harris has received zero votes to become President.
Nobody has received any votes to become president: the election hasn't happened yet.

This idea that Harris is somehow illegitimate because she wasn't selected as candidate through normal procedure is more a weird fabrication of a complaint than a good one. After all, anyone genuinely unhappy about the way she was selected is perfectly free to exercise their democratic right to not vote for her in the upcoming election.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
It's not a coup in any meaningful sense at all.
Neither was January 6th.
This idea that Harris is somehow illegitimate because she wasn't selected as candidate through normal procedure is more a weird fabrication of a complaint than a good one.
In a vacuum, you are correct. After years of Democrats saying they are fighting to save democracy from Republicans. and Republicans saying Democrats only think it's democracy when they win, pressuring out your elected candidate because it looks like he'll lose in the general feels like quite the validation of the Republican perspective.