US 2024 Presidential Election

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Has there, or why hasn't there, been a statement from the white house about this?
We need at least an official "come on guys, don't be demented arseholes and be decent for fucks sake" from the actual government.
I don't think that the people who believe that Haitians in Springfield are eating cats and dogs are going to be convinced if Joe Biden tells them otherwise considering they think that Trump's word is gospel and that Biden is an evil liar who is selling out the country to immigrants.

Reactions: BrawlMan
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Has there, or why hasn't there, been a statement from the white house about this?
We need at least an official "come on guys, don't be demented arseholes and be decent for fucks sake" from the actual government.
I forget the narrative but the President did comment on it asking him to stop.

However I do concur that even that is not enough. There needs to be action from the DHS and FBI against Trump. Governor Dewine has already called in the national guard. Its getting pretty scary there.

Its complicated, but the city was already sort of struggling with the mass influx of migrants. They came in mass under a poorly planned/funded DHS program that allowed Haitian migrants to extend invites to family.

The heart was in the right place and its Springfield no one gaf. There was property and job support, but tensions were kinda high because of the natural laws of man. If you live in rural flanders and 15k japanese people showed up overnight youd be...taken aback.

I don't live in Springfield but from what I heard they were doing ok. We had a similar situation twice in Louisville ky where we took in 3000 Bosnians during the war and 5k Nigerians during some war or another, rwanda maybe. Its not unheard of.

The problem is trump picked the perfect time to just light that shit on fire. It infuriates me that hes allowed to go on public television and incite domestic terror like this. No doubt Ohio is gonna feel fallout across the state. This kinda shit only ends in violence. Some fucking dink is gonna start shooting.

Kind of a bummer for the Haitians. You escape violence only for America to be like "WELCOME BACK".

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Didn't you say similar things about how even with roe down, it wouldn't lead to issues with abortions???

Then they immediately starting banning them and doing crazy shit like offering bounties for reporting medical data, trying to reach across state lines and control their neighbours policies etc.
Nope, didn't say anything like that.

RFMA doesn't fulfil the same role. It ensures states must recognise the validity of such marriages; states could still ban their provision if not for Obergefell.

OK. The level to which they're focused on has absolutely nothing to do with same-sex marriage. And even if it did, it's the conservatives and Republicans using their energy on this.

If you'd like to know what I'm saying, I encourage you to read what I wrote.
And what stops a couple from getting married in another state?

You guys waste so much energy on bullshit like worrying about same sex marriage or Project 2025 or Trump getting elected and becoming president forever, it's beyond ridiculous that you talk so much and worry so much about things that won't happen.

It's a yes/no question. And you seem to have answered "yes". Yet another thing I guess ya'll worry about that has no chance of happening...
Once certain things are decided/put in motion, there's no going back. You think black people should worry about slavery happening again?
I think the US has already seen dozens upon dozens of Supreme Court decisions overturned by later Supreme Court decisions, and that the Republican Party and several Supreme Court justices certainly don't consider it "settled".
---

The language of the first amendment:

Technically the first amendment only expressly applies to laws created by congress. The supreme court interpreted the first amendment to also apply to interference by state governments. The supreme court could decide to reinterpret the meaning of the first amendment and to enforce it strictly as written so that it only applies to congress, thus allowing state governments to limit free speech (as long as their state constitution didn't specifically prohibit them from doing so). Then state governments would be able to make laws about online discussions if they so choose.

Just an example of how your ability to have online discussions could be curtailed by actions of the supreme court even though it is currently protected by the first amendment.

Now I don't think the supreme court would actually do this, but technically they have the power to do so as the first amendment only applies to state governments based on a supreme court interpretation in the first place. This would invalidate a ton of precedent based on the supreme court's previous interpretation, but given that they did the same thing with regards to overturning Roe V Wade and turning over power to regulate abortions to state governments despite decades of prior precedent it could technically happen.
Supremacy Clause.

OMG, I just provided a reason why they NEEDED that official piece of paper, especially back then. That's why I told you to look up Botton Marriages It gives you a lot of rights that unmarried people do not get. For example, you couldn't visit your partner at the hospital without that paper. They did movies on this back in the old days
Where does it say that these "marriages" were official in any capacity or had any paperwork?

Any person couldn't have a will that says [insert person of their choice] gets everything?

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Any person couldn't have a will that says [insert person of their choice] gets everything?
Nope
The article said:
The concept of the freedom of disposition by will, familiar as it is in modern England and the United States, both generally considered common law systems, is by no means universal. In fact, complete freedom is the exception rather than the rule.[3]: 654  Civil law systems often put restrictions on the possibilities of disposal; see for example "Forced heirship".

LGBT advocates have pointed to the inheritance rights of spouses as desirable for same-sex couples as well, through same-sex marriage or civil unions. Opponents of such advocacy rebut this claim by pointing to the ability of same-sex couples to disperse their assets by will. Historically, however, it was observed that "[e]ven if a same-sex partner executes a will, there is risk that the survivor will face prejudice in court when disgruntled heirs challenge the will",[4] with courts being more willing to strike down wills leaving property to a same-sex partner on such grounds as incapacity or undue influence.[5][6]

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
And what stops a couple from getting married in another state?
I'm not interested in having a discussion over whether the recognition of out-of-state marriages is enough. The fact is that overturning Obergefell would allow states to ban the provision of same-sex marriages, which is what we're actually discussing, and the RFMA would not change that.

You guys waste so much energy on bullshit like worrying about same sex marriage or Project 2025 or Trump getting elected and becoming president forever, it's beyond ridiculous that you talk so much and worry so much about things that won't happen.
All this just boils down to "I don't care". Yes, I know you don't give a shit, I'm not trying to convince you to care-- you never care or show any recognition for things that don't affect you personally. I'm simply correcting you when you say wrong stuff, like that drivel about the RFMA or Constitutional protections for same-sex marriage pre-Obergefell.

It's a yes/no question. And you seem to have answered "yes". Yet another thing I guess ya'll worry about that has no chance of happening...
I didn't answer "yes". I indicated that the question was an irrelevant deflection, and requested that you read what I actually wrote rather than making nonsense up and attributing it to me.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
The problem is trump picked the perfect time to just light that shit on fire.
Well, yeah, but there's an easy tactic there.

Claim that immigration causes trouble. Then sow discord between immigrants and non-immigrants. Every time that sparks into violence and disorder, argue that proves the case. By analogy, it's a bit like saying guns should be banned because they're dangerous, and then handing them out to people with psychological disorders.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Ok whut? Now I'm kinda curious. Where does the bathtub thing come from?

Just google things...

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Just google things...
Well duh, already have. But kind of you to explain anyway, I couldn't have figured that out otherwise.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ive been watching debate discussion and it was pointed that up until Clinton vs Trump it generally considered that lies would have repercussions with voters. That if you lie and the msm calls it out. It looks bad. Mitt Romney even corrected his wording in rally speeches after a mistake he got caught in during a debate.

Trumps Wizard Of Oz moment is when he realized in modern America there are no longer reprocussions. No one trusts anything anymore so you can just make up whatever you want and the news cycle is so click greedy theyll just move on to the next thing week to week. There could be blood in the streets of Springfield by next week and hell face 0 reprocussions, from literally anywhere.

I refuse to believe hes "gullible". He knows exactly what hes doing.
Very much this. All the calling Trump out on his lies and making him appear foolish is wasted effort, assuming the intent is to get his supporters to rethink.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Ive been watching debate discussion and it was pointed that up until Clinton vs Trump it generally considered that lies would have repercussions with voters. That if you lie and the msm calls it out. It looks bad. Mitt Romney even corrected his wording in rally speeches after a mistake he got caught in during a debate.

Trumps Wizard Of Oz moment is when he realized in modern America there are no longer reprocussions. No one trusts anything anymore so you can just make up whatever you want and the news cycle is so click greedy theyll just move on to the next thing week to week. There could be blood in the streets of Springfield by next week and hell face 0 reprocussions, from literally anywhere.

I refuse to believe hes "gullible". He knows exactly what hes doing.
There is however a fascinating paradox about Trump.

Despite the debasement of peoples' fact-based view of reality, and despite his incredibly obvious lack of dedication to honesty, many of Trump's fans seem to want to desperately believe that he is telling the truth. They are shown a rabbit hole and it's incredibly important to them that, at the bottom of the hole, is a world that is orderly, coherent, and just as they believe it to be.