US 2024 Presidential Election

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
You know what voting for Stein is? Not voting Trump. You can tell because they have different names.
Literally promoting Trump winning while being able to tell yourself you didn't spend your vote this election in a fashion that promotes Trump winning.

Because while it sucks that the choice is between bad and worse, not voting or voting for a third party benefits worse. So suck it up and vote for bad, or admit at least to yourself that you are voting (or not) in a fashion that makes it more likely for worse to take office.

Reactions: BrawlMan

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Literally promoting Trump winning while being able to tell yourself you didn't spend your vote this election in a fashion that promotes Trump winning.

Because while it sucks that the choice is between bad and worse, not voting or voting for a third party benefits worse. So suck it up and vote for bad, or admit at least to yourself that you are voting (or not) in a fashion that makes it more likely for worse to take office.
Admit you're actively promoting genocide first.

Reactions: tippy2k2

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Wanting Dems to lose is a notably different desire that could go with Trump winning.
Considering its one or the other it really isn't. The dems losing automatically means Trump winning. You can't have one without the other.

I'd rather vote in my best interests.
Its funny because voting against an incompetent and corrupt traitor who knowingly bungles pandemics and had a creepy program about replacing democracy with himself is in one's best interest. You can just say its about antipathy, and that your best interests and principles are secondary to the desire to punish those you don't like. Again, its not even that unreasonable. Spite is an understandable enough motive.

Just to be clear its not the inaction towards Trump I judge. Mostly just the pretense that its principled or logical to do so. Though on Stein's part the active scheming on his behalf I do judge.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Its funny because voting against an incompetent and corrupt traitor who knowingly bungles pandemics and had a creepy program about replacing democracy with himself is in one's best interest.
I am. And I'm trying to convince others to as well. I'm just not going to vote for an active genocide.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Considering its one or the other it really isn't. The dems losing automatically means Trump winning. You can't have one without the other.
Unless you, crimson5phoenix, Tippy, and Schadrach all live in swing states none of your votes are really going to matter much in the grand scheme of Trump winning or losing.

This isn't a popular vote system. A vote for Stein isn't actually taking a vote away from Trump or Harris.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Admit you're actively promoting genocide first.
It's amazing that we are responsible for what a guy we don't even vote for does while he is in office but people who actively vote for Harris get to just wash their hands of voting to continue genocide...

Yeah, there are consequences to an election and it's not some game. I just wish Democrat Voters believed that too and would stop supporting Genocide just because it's Team Blue doing it instead of Team Red.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Unless you, crimson5phoenix, Tippy, and Schadrach all live in swing states none of your votes are really going to matter much in the grand scheme of Trump winning or losing.

This isn't a popular vote system. A vote for Stein isn't actually taking a vote away from Trump or Harris.
I Live in Michigan. It is a swing state. Regardless, mine and everybody else's vote always matter and still does.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Just to be clear its not the inaction towards Trump I judge. Mostly just the pretense that its principled or logical to do so.
Logical is up for debate, and depends on the voter's individual desired impacts and how they've evaluated risks and likelihoods. But it is definitely principled. Deciding something on a matter of principle, and thereby increasing the possibility of the only other alternatives (even if worse), is almost the definition of principled.

The phrase "principled to a fault" may apply. Like the KPD considering the SPD to be it's main adversary in the 20s (and the SPD responding with mutual hostility)-- that myopic schism left the door open for the NSDAP, but at least the KPD didn't compromise their principle by allying with "social fascists", eh.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Shitting on people for voting FOR a candidate they agree with instead of AGAINST one they don't is super classy guys.

The Democratic Party does not represent their issues. Yes it's a broken two party system. Voting outcomes are recorded, post election they will have the chance to reflect on where they lost points, and consider (however shortly and against) where policy needs to shift to cover those loses. It is literally the only path in the two party system to even trying to be heard.

So yeah, we know, the system is broken and ultimately any vote outside the big two may give one an edge. But shut the fuck up about it. You're not clever, insightful, superior, or more moral, for feeding the system.

Let people vote as their conscience dictates, it's the tiniest iota of political power they have in hoping their voice is heard within the system at hand.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Shitting on people for voting FOR a candidate they agree with instead of AGAINST one they don't is super classy guys.

The Democratic Party does not represent their issues. Yes it's a broken two party system. Voting outcomes are recorded, post election they will have the chance to reflect on where they lost points, and consider (however shortly and against) where policy needs to shift to cover those loses. It is literally the only path in the two party system to even trying to be heard.

So yeah, we know, the system is broken and ultimately any vote outside the big two may give one an edge. But shut the fuck up about it. You're not clever, insightful, superior, or more moral, for feeding the system.

Let people vote as their conscience dictates, it's the tiniest iota of political power they have in hoping their voice is heard within the system at hand.
Firstly, broadly agree. Though a note, voting is the least impactful point of the political process. Ok, second least just above arguing about politics on a gaming forum. But anyway, organizing and agitating are more important than voting. Voting should be the final step in the political process. But that does mean that votes are a final tally at how successful a politician has run their campaign.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
If anyone here has ever wondered how we "LESSER EVIL'ed" our way to being completely fine with Israel killing civilians with our weapons and fucking GENOICIDE not being a Red Line to put your foot down on, I present to you EXHIBIT A. I always assumed that #VBNMW was just a flashy Democrat catchphrase that played well on social media but wasn't truly believed but I guess it is absolutely true and y'all would yell at people for voting for 99% Hitler because if 99% Hitler lost, 100% Hitler would win.
The republican voters support the genocide. Half of the democratic voters do as well. Combined that makes every anti-genocide candidate a liability.

You need to turn public American opinion against genocide before it can be on a political platform.

Last edited:

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
The republican voters support the genocide. Half of the democratic voters do as well. Combined that makes every anti-genocide candidate a liability.

You need to turn public American opinion against genocide before it can be on a political platform.
Then Harris will keep sliding right while you guys cheer her on. Doing the right thing isn't the easy thing. You have all Lesser Evil'ed our way into this fucking mess and now the butchers bill is due. We've been warning you this would happen if you kept having no demands except "not be republicans" for these past 20 some years and so now here we are.

I'll be able to face the future generations knowing I at least gave it a shot. History will not be kind to Israel and The US for this. If you ever wondered what you would do during The Holocaust, you no longer have to wonder because you're doing it now...

Last edited:

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
Trolley problem in action right here. Are we going to willingly sacrifice 1 or are we going to choose inaction and allow 5 to perish?

First past the post is a stupid system, but as long as you live within that system you should recognize the reality and act accordingly. There are two actual candidates for office, you have one vote, voting for one will improve their odds, not voting will make it more likely the other party achieves their goals.

Someone is going to be elected, one way or another, and you can either let perfect become the enemy of good (or perhaps less shit) or you can follow reality.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
If you're going to vote a certain way due to your personal philosophy, at least have the decency to acknowledge the practical results of doing so rather than couching it purely in terms of abstract principles.
Well, basically, yes. I would say of Trump that for the most part his bark is worse than his bite. But if he does get in and really tears shit up, the simplest answer to the USA at large is "Well, that's what you voted for". Collectively, the whole nation can take responsibility, and within that all the way down to individuals. Didn't like it? Well, as that was the practical end result of your vote, then you voted for it.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Then Harris will keep sliding right while you guys cheer her on. Doing the right thing isn't the easy thing. You have all Lesser Evil'ed our way into this fucking mess and now the butchers bill is due. We've been warning you this would happen if you kept having no demands except "not be republicans" for these past 20 some years and so now here we are.
1728940037846.png

I'll be able to face the future generations knowing I at least gave it a shot. History will not be kind to Israel and The US for this. If you ever wondered what you would do during The Holocaust, you no longer have to wonder because you're doing it now...
I don't remember the Holocaust starting because Jews committed a terrorist attack against Germany killing 1,200 people including women and children. That part must not have made it into my history books.

I get your sentiment, but let's not pretend that the two events are equivalent because they aren't. I'm not saying that Israel's current actions are justified, or that I personally support them, but there's a reason that support for Israel exists, and it's not just due to racism or religious differences, or dehumanization.

Reducing people to being "pro-genocide" because they're backing Harris over Trump is reductive and rather unhelpful to your cause.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I should reiterate that I consider voting third-party a reasonable choice (abstention less so). I've not condemned anyone for doing so-- and will note there's been quite a lot of vitriol in this thread from both camps (the lesser-evil-dem voter camp and the third-party voter camps).

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
View attachment 12030

I don't remember the Holocaust starting because Jews committed a terrorist attack against Germany killing 1,200 people including women and children. That part must not have made it into my history books.

I get your sentiment, but let's not pretend that the two events are equivalent because they aren't. I'm not saying that Israel's current actions are justified, or that I personally support them, but there's a reason that support for Israel exists, and it's not just due to racism or religious differences, or dehumanization.

Reducing people to being "pro-genocide" because they're backing Harris over Trump is reductive and rather unhelpful to your cause.
Yes, how dare the Palestinian People fight back against their oppressors!

(Not to mention out of those 1,200 killed, how many were soldiers and then how many of the civilians were taken out by Israel itself with their own Hannibal Directive? Because Hamas had a bunch of guns and whatnot but that huge car graveyard was filled with vehicles that were completely obliterated by explosions.

After reading more into how Israeli citizens treat Palestinians, I'm shocked that there aren't daily October 7ths happening. Fuck Israel.

But let's say, for fun, that you are 100% absolute correct. The evil Hamas attacked completely unprovoked and killed 1,200 crying helpless defenseless little babies. The babies looked straight in the eyes of the Hamas fighters and said "We are innocent, we were just born! Please don't do this" and the Hamas terrorists just laughs before taking their knife and slitting every single babies throat.

Right now the official count is approx mid 43,000 (with some saying it is much closer to six figures given how many bodies are just literally vaporized by all the bombs and rubble from Israel but we'll stick with the "official" count). A stupid amount of people in this are not Hamas but civilians.

How many fucking people do these cunts get a free pass to kill because of October 7th? I don't believe a single thing Israel has to say about October 7th but even if it were 100% factually true, a terrorist attack doesn't give you a blank check to genocide an entire people.

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
One man's already been arrested for this.

The thing we all knew was going to happen happened. Trump won't care, though. He's already moved on to crafting his next pack of lies to rile his base into violence.

Meanwhile, another man was arrested for bringing loaded firearms to Trump's rally.

He's claimed that he brought the weapons as was his Constitutional right, but had never fired a gun in his life and was "beyond a novice". Which, from a knowledgeable firearm user's perspective, is fucking moronic. What was he going to do with those guns that he has no experience with? Brandish them at someone with a clue and speedrun fucking around to finding out any%?

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Yes, how dare the Palestinian People fight back against their oppressors!

(Not to mention out of those 1,200 killed, how many were soldiers and then how many of the civilians were taken out by Israel itself with their own Hannibal Directive? Because Hamas had a bunch of guns and whatnot but that huge car graveyard was filled with vehicles that were completely obliterated by explosions.

After reading more into how Israeli citizens treat Palestinians, I'm shocked that there aren't daily October 7ths happening. Fuck Israel.

But let's say, for fun, that you are 100% absolute correct. The evil Hamas attacked completely unprovoked and killed 1,200 crying helpless defenseless little babies. The babies looked straight in the eyes of the Hamas fighters and said "We are innocent, we were just born! Please don't do this" and the Hamas terrorists just laughs before taking their knife and slitting every single babies throat.

Right now the unofficial count is approx mid 43,000 (with some saying it is much closer to six figures given how many bodies are just literally vaporized by all the bombs and rubble from Israel but we'll stick with the "official" count). A stupid amount of people in this are not Hamas but civilians.

How many fucking people do these cunts get a free pass to kill because of October 7th? I don't believe a single thing Israel has to say about October 7th but even if it were 100% factually true, a terrorist attack doesn't give you a blank check to genocide an entire people.
Like I said, I don't support Israel's current actions.

Personally I think fighting back against Hamas is 100% justified, and I think that the Israelis have the capabilities to perform surgical strikes against Hamas leadership. I don't think that massive civilian casualties due to the use of bombing to kill suspected terrorists is justified when there are other means to reach the same goals without incurring the massive civilian death toll. I think that the US should be restricting export of arms to Israel to only allow for defensive capabilities until a cease-fire is reached.

Let's not pretend that the Palestinians are innocent people just fighting against oppression though. Palestinians have started every conflict with Israel, and have never stopped attacking Israel with rocket attacks, which is what Israelis use as justification for the oppression. There's a reason that the Israelis have the defensive capabilities that they do, and it's because they have been proven necessary due to the constant attacks against their civilian population over decades.

Neither side is innocent and the history of the conflicts between Israel and Palestine don't boil down to "one side good other side bad."

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
To be fair, Tippy didn't do that. I did. And if people are going to consequentialism me and others into saying we actually support Trump when we say we support Stein, I'm going to turn that right around and point out they support genocide if they support Kamala. If we're playing the reduction game, we can play.