US Military Confident it Could Stop a Real-Life Godzilla Attack

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
US Military Confident it Could Stop a Real-Life Godzilla Attack

Sgt. Maj. James Dever offers some insight on how the US military would handle a real Godzilla attack.

Thankfully, Godzilla has (until now) been a product of fantasy, and we've never suffered in real-life attacks from giant radioactive dinosaurs. But what if we did? Godzilla (2014)'s Military Technical Advisor, Sgt. Maj. James Dever was asked how the U.S. military would hypothetically take on the monster, and, more importantly, whether they could do it. Despite the military usually amounting to no more than cannon fodder in these types of films, Dever is confident that the US military could stop a real-life Godzilla attack.

"The military would be very successful," he said confidently, adding "With the manpower and the equipment we have, we'd definitely be successful in taking down Godzilla." He said that US would be quick to mobilize all of its military forces, from the navy to the air force to even ground troops, and they would simply be able to overwhelm the monster with numbers.

He did however see a couple of complications in a potential military vs. Godzilla showdown, in particular, Godzilla's fiery "Atomic Breath" and if the battle took place in a densely populated city. "Once he's in the city our major concern are all the civilians," said Dever. "The military would put their combined effort to move all the civilians out before we could engage him."

As for the potential of using atomic weapons on the monster, Dever said that would probably only be a very last resort, as the decision would have to come from the President and would only be used after civilians were evacuated.

"It's not a known thing fighting monsters," said Dever. "But we'd give it our best, and hope he would go down in a day or two."

Source: Rocket News 24 [http://www.businessinsider.com/]

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Right.

If there is one constant in geek culture it's that Godzilla pretty much trumps everything. Jason Voorhees would wet his pants if Big G showed up.

I'm not an unpatriotic American by any stretch of the imagination. But c'mon duder, Godzilla would melt us all.

And just for funsies, here's Blue Oyster Cult's "Go Go Godzilla". Enjoy!

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
They wouldn't need nukes, or even need to go near it. The infantry could concentrate on evacuation, they could just drop GBU-57A/B MOP onto Godzilla and turn him into chunky kibbles.

14,000KG of kinetic death at near supersonic speed followed up by the warhead of 2.4 tons of high explosive, B2s can carry two of them at a time. Unless Godzillas skin is tougher than 60ft of bunker grade steel reinforced concrete he would be smashed apart just by the kinetic impact, after the bomb has penetrated his skin the explosives would go off. This would liquidise his internal organs, his tough skin would work against him as it would contain the thermobaric pressure wave inside his body and reflect and ricochet the blast wave around internally.

Even if it had super regeneration powers I doubt they could sort out literally liquidised internal organs.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
...Except for the fact that Godzilla has...y'know...the extremely minor and overlooked detail of surviving the point blank detonation of NUCLEAR WEAPONS, the most powerful and destructive ordnance known to man. It wouldn't help if the US had any Tzar Bomba's in their possession.

Honestly, your best hope is to give him Anthrax, and even that's questionable.

This is just like the people who bemoan that the US Military should be doing a lot better against the Hierarchy (obscure game references ho!).

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
They can't stop a bunch of farmers with 80 year old AKs an no training, I doubt they could stop that.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Godzilla will be crushed by it's own weight so anyone including myself can stop a godzilla, we just need to stand there and watch him fall.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
Zeren said:
They can't stop a bunch of farmers with 80 year old AKs an no training, I doubt they could stop that.
To be fair though, you can't shoot any 80-year-old you see just in case he has a gun.

Giant monsters are more clear cut, in that way.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
ExtraDebit said:
Godzilla will be crushed by it's own weight so anyone including myself can stop a godzilla, we just need to stand there and watch him fall.
Unless its an actual giant radioactive man that is inside a giant Godzilla rubber suit, that might work, no?

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Sir Shockwave said:
...Except for the fact that Godzilla has...y'know...the extremely minor and overlooked detail of surviving the point blank detonation of NUCLEAR WEAPONS, the most powerful and destructive ordnance known to man. It wouldn't help if the US had any Tzar Bomba's in their possession.

This is just like the people who bemoan that the US Military should be doing a lot better against the Hierarchy (obscure game references ho!).
Yeah...

Godzilla was originally intended as an allegory of the attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Now, Little Boy had a blast yield of 16 kilotons, while Fat Man had one of about 21 kilotons.

The Tsar Bomba has a blast yield of somewhere between 50 000 and 58 000 kilotons.

So, hypothetically speaking, I don't think the fact that Godzilla survived a detonation of some nuclear weapons automatically means he is going to survive the Emperor Bomb dropping on his head.

Also, where does it say it was a 'point black detonation'? I don't really remember that bit.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
This is why I like this kind of disaster movies, it gets the people who would make the kinda calls that characters in those movies do thinking.

"Hmmm...What would we do if the Aliens from Independence Day comes?"
"How would we save the earth from the asteroid from Armageddon?"
"How do we stop Skynet if that becomes a thing?"

Granted, a lot of the situations in those films are unlikely at best, but still, it's kinda cool that the same thought crossed their minds.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
Compatriot Block said:
Zeren said:
To be fair though, you can't shoot any 80-year-old you see just in case he has a gun.

You misread what I posted. I meant farmers with guns that are 80 years old.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I was thinking of practical ways I would take on Godzilla, and had a thought about what it would be like to see a battle between Cthulhu and Godzilla. Obviously our minds for the most part would be reduced to insane dribble but, you know, it'd be kind of neat... :p

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Zeren said:
Compatriot Block said:
Zeren said:

Well too be fair you can't just shoot anyone you want, plus when you look at the actual number of dead an injured from those "farmers" and compare then those of our soldiers, we're basically all Captain America class super soldiers in terms of our ability to fight them. Look no further then Iraq, Afghanistan, and pretty much every military intervention in the past 20 years.

The sooner this myth of the guerillas winning because they can fight us better instead of the reality being we only loose if we pull out before the job is done (whatever job that may be) is one that will be all the better once it's dead once and for all. After all, with the exception of the East Congo Crisis (which lets face it there was no way to fix that without full military occupation for an unknown amount of time) none of the places we've pulled out from in the middle east or Africa have been much worst off then they where before.

OT: Godzilla almost seems like the type of thing we built nukes just to destroy, but lets face it, we don't need to have a military which can take it on because the monster just doesn't work in real life. It would die trying to breath, and even assuming it could breath and move the physical requirements would cause conventional weapons to allow for death by a thousand (or in this case, million) cuts by peppering it with bullets, missiles, artillery and depleted uranium. Godzilla is pure fictional awesomeness that we all know just can't function in real life, but makes up for it by being dame awesome (both in the actual meaning and in the currently-used-but-very-wrong meaning) depending on weather he's the "evil force of nature", "misunderstood hero" or "sum of our fears".

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
Zontar said:
Zeren said:
Compatriot Block said:
Zeren said:

Well too be fair you can't just shoot anyone you want, plus when you look at the actual number of dead an injured from those "farmers" and compare then those of our soldiers, we're basically all Captain America class super soldiers in terms of our ability to fight them. Look no further then Iraq, Afghanistan, and pretty much every military intervention in the past 20 years.

The sooner this myth of the guerillas winning because they can fight us better instead of the reality being we only loose if we pull out before the job is done (whatever job that may be) is one that will be all the better once it's dead once and for all. After all, with the exception of the East Congo Crisis (which lets face it there was no way to fix that without full military occupation for an unknown amount of time) none of the places we've pulled out from in the middle east or Africa have been much worst off then they where before.

OT: Godzilla almost seems like the type of thing we built nukes just to destroy, but lets face it, we don't need to have a military which can take it on because the monster just doesn't work in real life. It would die trying to breath, and even assuming it could breath and move the physical requirements would cause conventional weapons to allow for death by a thousand (or in this case, million) cuts by peppering it with bullets, missiles, artillery and depleted uranium. Godzilla is pure fictional awesomeness that we all know just can't function in real life, but makes up for it by being dame awesome (both in the actual meaning and in the currently-used-but-very-wrong meaning) depending on weather he's the "evil force of nature", "misunderstood hero" or "sum of our fears".
I highly disagree with that and if you really want to get into a debate about this, we can.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
Oh, what a funny guy that Sgt. fellow is. US military cannot defeat some sheepherders that are hiding in caves, yet they want to take on Godzilla?! No, no, no... they want to win against Godzilla? Ha! Had a good laugh after reading this.

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Arqus_Zed said:
Sir Shockwave said:

Yeah...

Godzilla was originally intended as an allegory of the attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Now, Little Boy had a blast yield of 16 kilotons, while Fat Man had one of about 21 kilotons.

The Tsar Bomba has a blast yield of somewhere between 50 000 and 58 000 kilotons.

So, hypothetically speaking, I don't think the fact that Godzilla survived a detonation of some nuclear weapons automatically means he is going to survive the Emperor Bomb dropping on his head.

Also, where does it say it was a 'point black detonation'? I don't really remember that bit.
According to one of the trailers 15 megatons was the largest nuke dropped on him.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Zeren said:
I highly disagree with that and if you really want to get into a debate about this, we can.
You'll need to be more specific as to which part, but if you want then I'll play ball.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
josemlopes said:
ExtraDebit said:
Unless its an actual giant radioactive man that is inside a giant Godzilla rubber suit, that might work, no?
No material on earth can have godzilla's size without collapsing on itself, not on earth's gravity at least, even skyscrapers are build to the specification of a singular center of gravity, if it was ever tilt to one side it will start crumbing and fall. So weather it's a giant lizard or a man in rubber suit, it will fall.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
AJey said:
Oh, what a funny guy that Sgt. fellow is. US military cannot defeat some sheepherders that are hiding in caves, yet they want to take on Godzilla?! No, no, no... they want to win against Godzilla? Ha! Had a good laugh after reading this.
I think the estimated 60 000 Taliban and Al-Qaeda killed in Afghanistan compared to NATO's 3424 speaks volumes of out ability to defeat sheepherders in caves.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
Zontar said:
Zeren said:
You'll need to be more specific as to which part, but if you want then I'll play ball.
It about the first bit. The part about the real war. I don't particularly want to get into it as it's 3:30 AM and I've had a few drinks. All in all, it will boil down to me throwing out how much we have spent, how many have died, and how we haven't made any meaningful progress, and are leaving with our tail between our legs.