US Military Wants Walls That Can Pop Out of Cans for Use on the Field

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
US Military Wants Walls That Can Pop Out of Cans for Use on the Field

DARPA is looking for a BlockADE (Block Access to Deny Entry) barrier system that can fit in cans for military use.

The US Government's Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is not only DARPA's proposal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130247-DARPA-Seeks-Gamer-Help-To-Test-Military-Software-Vulnerability] also wants the device to slow down attackers with saws and axes, but is also aiming to include extra features such as "ballistic resistance." Bear in mind that such a system is far from being made into a working prototype or one that can be used on the field in real life. But if and when it does, expect troops to have instant cover whenever they need it, which should save lives.

In related news, the military is "confident" it can stop a real-life attack by Godzilla [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132264-U-S-Military-to-Test-Iron-Man-Suit-in-June-Seeks-Your-Help-for-Components], which I'm not 100 percent confident that they can. I mean, have you seen Godzilla chew tanks and choppers like they were made of paper?

More and more, it seems sci-fi and video game tech is slowly becoming a reality for real-life use in the military. What tech do you think can feasibly made next and be of actual use?

Source: Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/21/darpa-blockade/]

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Alex Co said:
BloackADE
OT: So, lemme get this straight... They want 'chest-high walls' in a can (or something similar, given the measurements). Do you pull a pin and watch it expand or unfold it? And...what can you expect to block with that? I'd love to see a bunch of soldiers get 'instant tortoise shell' configurationm, or hell make this end up like a DBZ Capsule Corp thing, but how's this one work? Science fiction becoming reality is awesome, but I hope they did some testing...

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
FalloutJack said:
Alex Co said:
BloackADE
OT: So, lemme get this straight... They want 'chest-high walls' in a can (or something similar, given the measurements). Do you pull a pin and watch it expand or unfold it? And...what can you expect to block with that? I'd love to see a bunch of soldiers get 'instant tortoise shell' configurationm, or hell make this end up like a DBZ Capsule Corp thing, but how's this one work? Science fiction becoming reality is awesome, but I hope they did some testing...
Thanks, man. Fixed it. =)

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Well, it wouldn't truly be a realistic shooter without chest high walls....

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
This sounds like some ACME corporation invention. And they should have called it Can-o-Wall or something. BlockADE is just boring.

chaser5000

Sep 11, 2012
FalloutJack said:
Alex Co said:
BloackADE
Maybe some kind of fast hardening foam or something.

Cranyx

Mar 6, 2011
Alex Co said:
crammed into a canister measuring 1 ft. by 6.5 ft.
that's not exactly portable, in fact it's almost large enough that you could just use the can. Also I have to ask if the walls are bullet-proof, ie can they actually be used for cover.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
This sounds like some ACME corporation invention. And they should have called it Can-o-Wall or something. BlockADE is just boring.
Hey kids! Are you tired of your Nations relentless pursuit of overseas nationbuilding?
yeah...
Well hold on, because its...
It's wall-in-a-can!♬♬♬♬
YEAH!

♬what blows up quick♬
♬just lickity split♬
♬and stops rounds from some♬
♬terrorists AK,♬

its wall-in-a-can!

♬its wall, its wall,♬
♬it stops the bullets real good♬
♬its wall, its wall,♬
♬its better than bad, its GOOD!♬

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Sounds like that gizmo breifly seen in the new CoD game trailer; two sticks with a black sheet stretched between them that stops bullets.

Sep 14, 2009
wants the device to slow down attackers with saws and axes
...maybe I'm wrong, but how often do people use saws and axes in the battlefield?!? I didn't even realize this was a thing...

nonetheless, until you make jackal shields from halo, don't color me impressed :p

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
So, the American M.O.D thinks "we have guns that are good at range, guns that are good at close combat, guns that are good at being tough, guns that are good at being versatile and guns that can shoot round corners and everything in between. We have bullets for all occasions, explosives for all occasions. Tanks that are fast and tanks that are powerhouses. We have planes of all shapes and sizes that can fuck up things from a jet to small hamlet to nothing short of a country. We have missiles that could hit a fly's leg from across the globe. Helicopters that put the hel(l) in helicopter! ... But we still have oodles of cash coming our way! What the fuck could we spend it on?"

"... you seen them iron man films?"

"... you get a promotion!"

"... wall in a can?"

"... you get a promotion as well!"

How about diverting some money to helping your country men out, instead of spending it to fuck up another countries men? We get it, you have the biggest dick, nobody is going to fuck with you! Now, PLEASE focus on your own failings!

I bet if you diverted 90% of your war budget to health care, cancer, aids and about 50 other diseases would be gone in 10 years! You wouldn't have things like breaking bad happening (not the actual show, just the message behind it of families being left destitute due to a medical problem).

gittonsxv

Mar 29, 2011
the us wants to invent mobile chest high walls?
suddenly shooters are becoming more realistic...or reality is becoming more like a game.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
chaser5000 said:
FalloutJack said:
Alex Co said:
BloackADE
Maybe some kind of fast hardening foam or something.
That's what I was thinking, they've already got stuff like that that is used for insulating windows while building a house. It'd have to be more dense if they want it to stop bullets and people armed with axes and chainsaws, though.

Still I imagine some kind of "splatter grenade" that they throw out and it causes an explosion of this foam which almost instantly hardens to make a (more than likely) dome-shaped wall.

As for blocking doorways and such, just have it also available in a spray can.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
FalloutJack said:
OT: So, lemme get this straight... They want 'chest-high walls' in a can (or something similar, given the measurements).
Chest-high walls in a can I can get behind.

The stupid name they gave it? I think I need some brain bleach.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
thiosk said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Hey kids! Are you tired of your Nations relentless pursuit of overseas nationbuilding?
yeah...
Well hold on, because its...
It's wall-in-a-can!♬♬♬♬
YEAH!

♬what blows up quick♬
♬just lickity split♬
♬and stops rounds from some♬
♬terrorists AK,♬

its wall-in-a-can!

♬its wall, its wall,♬
♬it stops the bullets real good♬
♬its wall, its wall,♬
♬its better than bad, its GOOD!♬

OT:Its going to take alot of testing and refining to make this even useable for chest high walls in a can

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Cranyx said:
Alex Co said:
that's not exactly portable, in fact it's almost large enough that you could just use the can. Also I have to ask if the walls are bullet-proof, ie can they actually be used for cover.
I was wondering that myself. No material you can put in a can (at least with today's technology) is going to stop a round from a modern assault rifle- which means this isn't cover; it's concealment.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
The Rogue Wolf said:
Cranyx said:
Alex Co said:
I was wondering that myself. No material you can put in a can (at least with today's technology) is going to stop a round from a modern assault rifle- which means this isn't cover; it's concealment.
Wait, didn't the article say they're doing it as an area denial system too? Like to slow down attackers trying to move through a building.

OT: Why am I reminded of some kind of 'Fix-a-Flat' in a barrel?

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
How I could see it work:
1) Fast-hardening foam (e.g. polyurethane foam or synthetic resins), either as a self-expanding or as a spray solution. You basically mix two liquids, they react (get quite hot in the process) and form a foam or a massive resin. If you feel fancy you can even mix in glass or even kevlar fibres to increase its protection (personal experience: PU + aramide/glass fibres is a ***** to cut or even chop). However, applying it by hand to more than a door or window (glue it shut, not build a wall) probably takes some time and I wouldn't really trust a self-exploding version to actually land where you want it.
There is also a Shadowrun item that basically does this.

2) Bouncy castle made of Kevlar. Basically an inflatible bulletproof vest or raft. You can even combine it with the foam solution from 1 to make it more resistant and prevent it from deflating, so it would share some similarities with run-on-flat tires. If the pressure is high enough, it'd also anchor itself into the walls, floor and ceiling of a corridor (maybe even add metal spikes at the borders). In the open you'd probably also need a way to anchor it to the ground (it'd still be heavy but not heavy enough to not fly into your face from a blast or something).

Their expected dimensions are rather large, though. Solution 1 would probably still need 1-2 l of liquid to reliably glue a door into its frame. Solution 2 could fit into a large backpack (think about the dimensions and weight of a heavy inflatible raft). I guess they are planning to transport them on those transport drones they are currently researching? In that case I'm not sure if they aren't actually thinking of something like a self-erecting and self-anchoring metal wall with Kevlar layered on top.

Overall I'm not really sure what they expect and want to spend. A lot of that material is pretty expensive and even the US ground troops seem to not get all of the best stuff.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
The Rogue Wolf said:
Cranyx said:
Alex Co said:
How the hell is it concealment? How many times would you have to lobotomise an enemy soldier before he can look at a wall that he could swear wasn't there a moment ago, and think 'eh, I'm sure THAT's nothing that should be investigated more closely'.

If they want mobile walls, why can't they just start working on producing tactical dreadnought armour? At least
looks a bit more impressive than 'wall in a can' possibly could.